StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got stuck in my first rainstorm on this bike yesterday. I've never had a bike with a "blocking" screen before so I'm not sure if this is normal. The rain seemed to be going backwards from my chest to the instrument cluster/windscreen. I assume this is a phenomena of the air pressure difference caused by the screen.

Is this an occurrence regardless of the screen used? I found it extremely annoying.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I've ridden in a lot of rain, most of it downpours. I have no idea what you're talking about. I don't spend much time looking at the instruments, so maybe it's happening and I've never noticed.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Yeah, some bikes will actually get bug 'splatters' on the BACK of the screen as well as the front!

Combination of the the air current caused by the screen and you!

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
It's caused by the negative pressure behind the screen and is common.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
This is the first bike I've ever ridden, where sometimes my long braid flies in front of me instead of behind me! :)

I use the stock windscreen in it's lowest setting.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The trick is you have to be going faster then the rain. try 2nd gear.
Don't know why you'd use second gear on the interstate, but I'll try that next time. :confused:

This isn't the first time I've ridden a motorcycle in the rain, it's the first time on one with a blocking windscreen.

It's caused by the negative pressure behind the screen and is common.
That's what I figured. I just thought it was very strange to be going down the road and seeing water flying forward towards the instruments. I wasn't entirely sure if it was just flyback off my chest or if it was wrapping around. Never saw that happen on the Ninja.

I was wanting to just stare down and watch, as it was a little entrancing. But figured that wouldn't be such a good idea to be swerving all over the road when all the traffic around you is going 75. haha

·
Banned
4,051 Posts
Not only does the rain behind the windshiewld fly forwards, but it also flies upwards depending on the circumstances. I'd say this behaviour is absolutely normal considering that the rain will have a tendency to be moved by airflow, which in turn moves as predicted by by a theory that dates back to 1738.

Then again, I seem to be the only one so far that shares your experience.
Maybe we need to get our bikes to a catholic priest statim.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Yeah, some bikes will actually get bug 'splatters' on the BACK of the screen as well as the front!
ah! i noticed this the other day. i figured that i was just so badass that the bugs flung themselves into the backside of the windshield rather than land on me! :green_lol:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Don't know why you'd use second gear on the interstate, but I'll try that next time. :confused:

just messin with you.
I found there was an updraft when I had the stock winshield. The new windstrom windshield helped a lot. Also leaning forward seems to help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know you were. I'm kind of glad more people experience this, though. After the first couple responses i thought I was going loony.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Happens to me as well depending on speed and the angle I have my windshield at. In my case rain comes up fork area of the fairing and kinda flutters around.
Not enough to bother me though.

I used to have a cruiser with a large shield and water used to come over the top/sides of the tank and do the same thing.

Ken

1 - 16 of 16 Posts