StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, Christmas is approaching, and my significant other wants a backup camera for her 2010 Honda CR-V. She already has a Sony XAV-AX1000 head unit, so I need something compatible with that. I'm not a tech guy, but I know a lot of members here are and could probably offer some insight. Can anyone offer some guidance on what unit to get?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I bought an Accele RVCLPMBS camera from Crutchfield (79.00) and an Esky 7" TFT LCD Color 2 Video Input Car Monitor from Amazon ($35) in November of 2018. I love the picture on the monitor - clear, bright, all I could ask for. It also has two inputs should you want to watch a DVD on a 7" screen. Before settling on these I googled Rear View Camera reviews and read all I could. Then I decided and made my selection. The two pieces are mounted in my GMC van.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ratchet. I actually just got done putting that camera in my Crutchfield shopping cart to hang onto it while I kept looking.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Following this, I need a back up camera in my Avalanche. I'm always hookingbup trailers and last time I was in and out of my seat at least 10 times.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My son put one on his new pickup because with all of his construction equipment he can't see through the topper. I asked him which one he bought. I'll let you know, because he uses it as a rear mirror. Actually took off his rearview mirror and replaced it with it.
Thinking about it, his isn't a real backup camera, seems to be a mirror replacement camera.
BUT I was thinking, you know how people complain because they can't see out of their rear view mirrors so they buy extenders or different mirror?
So what if you took off your rear view mirrors and installed one of those backup cameras that is on all the time?
Crazy? probably

This is what he bought, but maybe not what you are looking for: RVS-812N

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
My wife's Santa Fe has high doors, and she was having trouble backing up, I found an inexpensive wireless camera and monitor on Amazon, under $100. the sending unit fits in the panel for bulb replacement , is powered by the backup lights, no other wiring needed.

After it was in her car for a few weeks, she told me the monitor flashes on and off every so often while she's driving around town. I figured it was just the cheap electronics,,, some time later, we were on the freeway heading to Portland, and the monitor powered up, showed a Jeep Wrangler in the screen, with nobody in the driver or passenger seats.... freaky.... a minute later, I overtook an RV on the freeway, towing that jeep, he had his wired for always on, keeping an eye on his tow, and it activated my monitor. It's happened a few times now.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Eagle, maybe....I'm not sure of which system to go with. Mirror screen might be the way to go since there is no place for a monitor on dash.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,929 Posts
Just stumbled on this thread - definitely interested here.

About a month ago, I bought a new-to-me car, a 2014 Ford Fusion SE.

It did not come with the vast majority of the optional doodads and whatsits, just due to how things shook out with what was available on the used market at the time vs. what I was willing to pay.

One thing I would have liked was a backup camera. All post-2013 Fusions came with at least a 4" LCD screen in the center console, but not necessarily with a backup camera. Most of the wiring needed was included anyway. Probably because it was cheaper for Ford to build & install one main wiring harness in all Fusions, rather than separate camera & non-camera harnesses.

There are of course any number of aftermarket backup cameras available today. They all involve running wires to the back of the vehicle, an additional screen on or near the dash, or other inelegant hacks. I'd rather have an OEM-style backup camera, using the in-dash screen already present.

It turns out it's reasonably straightforward to add an OEM-style backup camera to these cars. With a few exceptions, the 4" Sync display simply needs to be reprogrammed & physically connected to a backup camera to get the feature working.

I've already had the dash apart & verified I have one of the compatible Sync screens - yay! I got a used backup camera from LKQ Online, and have ordered the relevant Ford wiring & bezel for the trunk area off eBay.

I will still have to wire the camera line into power up front, & flip a couple of bits in the car's computer via Forscan. Then physically install the camera, wiring, & bezel in the trunk lid.

Total parts cost will be under $200. Yes, you can get aftermarket backup cams more cheaply, but they aren't going to be as smoothly integrated & elegant as OEM-style.

That said, all this could still go horribly wrong & I could end up with a bunch of useless parts. I'll post again once I've got it working.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,929 Posts
FWIW, I got the OEM backup camera fully installed in my Fusion, and it works great. The dynamic guidelines are super helpful when backing into my garage, or a parking space.

To power the backup cam, I ended up making a T-splice on a line I'd already run for dashcam power. Ran a line across to the appropriate multi-pin connector in the passenger footwell. They (backup cam and dashcam) are powered off the one accessory fuse slot. Backup cam does therefore have a short turn-on time when I start the car, but it's trivial.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts