StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to do some riding off the pavement. I've been looking at google maps but I think there must be something better to find those dual track/forestry/gravel roads that may be around Ottawa up into Quebec and west of here. Looking at doing day trips.
Direction to helpful maps or ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
You can buy a backroads/gravel map book.

Most of my roads I ride I've just found from going on group rides and exploring on my own. The Calabogie area will have a lot of what you are after. You could also go down 7 to Kaladar then head North and that area between 41 and 62 is a lot of crown land. Hunt road from 41 goes across to 62 and is fun. If you take 28 towards bancroft and then take Trout River Rd or Mayo Lake rd you will also find what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
I bought a 'Atlantic Canada back roads atlas' by Mapart publishing years ago in a convenience store. Looks like they are available at Amazon. The scale was 1:250 or around 1 in to 6 km. So detailed....hard to stay lost for very long. On winding roads in the woods with lack of any signs it helped me navigate back in '06. I would prefer it and maps in general to gps for the big picture.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found the BackRoads books at Canadian Tire but as I thought there is nothing really for Quebec. It seems Quebec off road maps are geared more towards hard core quad and snowmobiling.

Using google maps I found a gravel route to Mt Tremblant. What normally takes 2 hours on the pavement took us over 5 hours following rivers and farm roads. A buddy came up from the Finger Lakes on his brand new KTM 790. It had 50 miles on it and these roads were perfect to help break it in. We found alot of unexpected surprises.

Next day we followed the Gatineau River north to Low QC and the Paugan Dam.

It was a fun 2 days and led me to the path of just going out and riding anywhere out of Ottawa with no destination in mind.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My sister came up from Battersea and we did another two days on the the other side of the Ottawa River into Papineau Wildlife Reserve. That ended up as quite the experience with downed trees and roads of mush that had not been repaired. We ending up having to ride out the 35 km's we had followed in as there was a 300 meter long hill that was just ozzing water and after I walked it I felt was not worth the risk of getting stuck on.

And yeah, you wouldnt want to ride this road at night especially some of those bridges!

Attachments

·
Registered
14,483 Posts
I must be a p-ssy. Those picture show no joy of being there!
Maybe if you were part of a horde venturing in?

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
I must be a p-ssy. Those picture show no joy of being there!
Maybe if you were part of a horde venturing in?
Same here. I am impressed that some Stromtroopers enjoy such rugged terrain, and once in a while I participate in rides on roads where a goat would cover the ground faster than I can, but I generally appreciate pavement under me.

Thank you for the lovely photos. Enjoy your rides!

Keith

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That windscreen is so tall!
I know! I flew to Vancouver Island in 2016 and purchased the bike used. It's a 2009 and had 6,800 km's on it. The owner was 72 years old and said it was too heavy for him. Like me, he is a tall guy and he put that tall windscreen on. It's not completmentary to the looks but it does an amazing job. It's got 40,000 km's on it now and one stop drilled crack.

That's Petr handing over the keys to me June 2016. Does'nt look to bad there.

The second picture is my sister looking at the Park Map and showing it what she thinks :laugh2:

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sometimes I would not mind a shorter windscreen just for body cooling purposes. It's been so hot here lately.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts