StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking for alterantives that aren't going to cost me an arm and a leg for a backrest. I can't believe how much some of these aftermarket ones are. Is there no Suzuki one that I can use? Posting from Iraq. Can't just run to the shop. Thanks

·
Hmmmmm
1,326 Posts
+1 on Dan's backrests. I have the one he makes that attaches to the luggage rack and for the money it works great. Easy on and off, I usually leave it off until my wife and I ride somewhere together and then mount it. But now that I have mounted the Pelican back there I don't use it much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I got the Dan Vessell special. I like it lots. Just got it about a month ago and as far as I recall it cost me about $140. That included shipping.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Here's a silly little thing I tried to help alleviate back pain on long rides.

Last fall I did close to 650 miles in one day, the second such trip in one week. On the first trip I wore a back belt/kidney belt (Aerostich) and it did help keep back pain at bay by helping keep me from slouching, and helping keep my back straight. Funny thing was, I was needing to stop to pee about twice as often as normal- the belt squeezes around your midsection and puts pressure on your bladder.

On the second ride, instead of the kidney belt, I stuck a note on my tachometer that simply said "BACK", and every time I looked down to see the gauges I saw that note, and sat up straight. By the end of the trip I was "re-trained" of my slouching and my back felt much better than it had in the past.

I'll need to do this note trick again this spring.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thanks so much for the repllies. The backrest is for passengers, daughter and wife. I have soft luggage all around and don't prefer a hard case, but am not opposed to a backrest for the passenger. I find with topcases, as with women's purses, the bigger they are the more you will always have in them. I'm trying to keep weight and bulk down. I will try the link you guys provided and look that over. I'm on a military budget and am trying not to overextend on this too much. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another +1 for Dan Vesel's backrest. $140 -- including shipping -- got me the backrest to me in 4-5 days. Great service! Great product. Easy to install. Looks good. Gives one more place for soft luggage to fasten to.

YMMV

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went on his link and I think I'll order that one. It looks like the cheapest best solution so far. I just saw the first pic of my strom in the garage. My wife bought if for me while I'm over here. Can't wait to ride!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Everything I have purchased from Dan Vesel has been first quality including customer service.Did 600 miles this weekend and maybe there is backrest coming for this broke dowm bike rider.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
600 miles!

Nice mileage. I just want to make my wife as comfortable as possible. I want to be able to ride a lot with her. Not just a me thing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am a happy Dan Vesel back rest owner. Mounts easily, removes for short trips, adjustable, affordable. Happy I read this forum and found Dan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts