StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know if there is such a thing as a backrest for the rider? I am planning a trip in June and need all the help I can get.
Thanks....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have his drivers backrest and like it. Just be aware that with it on, you have to either lift your leg straight over the seat (because it's too high to swing it over the backrest), or stand on the pegs and swing it over the backrest. You can take the seat off with the backrest on. It attaches to the rear rack bolts and is pretty sturdy and well made. I did find that when the road gets rough, it tends to push you in the back, but nothing serious.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Has anyone tried to make one themselves?
It seems like some flat steel (or aluminum) with a 90' angle and a little bracing for the bracket (attached to the luggage rack bolt). Then maybe take some plywood with some padding and vinyl covering stapled over it? I'm asking more than telling. I've put some thought into this, but never done anything about it.

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
if you're planning a trip, wouldn't your luggage give you back support? I've used duffel bags full of 'stuff' as back support in the past.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's a shot of mine. It really shouldn't be that hard to make one. Just need to get the bars in the right shape and then you have to angle them back a bit so that it's not straight up. The pad just bolts to the bars. You can't go 2 up with it on, but as you can see, I use mine to carry luggage.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got off the phone with Dan, who makes the backrest. He says it is built solid, uses the passengers' bar bolts to attach onto the bike and is adjustable four positions. The cost is $140 plus $12 for shipping.
I was thinking of luggage for backrest but I don't always have enough luggage back there for good support. This seems to be what would make a good ride great. Couple dollars more than I wanted to spend but if it makes me happy than it is worth it.
Thanks for all your input. I will post photos (if anyone is interested) of the trip as I am going...
Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts