StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else waiting on a 2008 VStrom 650 ABS? I put money down with a local dealer in October and was told they were scheduled for December arrival. Then it was March. And now it's mid-April and supposedly Suzuki still can't/won't even tell the dealer where the bike is - could be Japan, on the water, California or on the road. Or maybe it hasn't even been built yet! What is the deal here? Supposedly Suzuki cut back half their planned shipments due to the economy, but mine is supposed to be safe since I had money down. Anybody have any insights to share? :(
Just sold my VStar 1100 on eBay and am bikeless!
Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Supposedly Suzuki cut back half their planned shipments due to the economy, but mine is supposed to be safe since I had money down.
That is what I was told as well. I have around 9 dealers within 30-40 min drive from me so I told them all that the first one to get an ABS Wee in their shop, I would buy it from them. I had one within three weeks. Some folks on the forums here have gone out-of-state, in fact way out-of-state, to get their's and ride it back. Good luck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
ABS Wee

talked to all 3 dealers near me, and one agreed to beat any other dealer's price...and then he refused any deposit and said he would contact me when the ABS was available...:cool:

rumor had it that there were 2 available in California but had been sold almost immediately...

·
Registered
29 Posts
The one I bought was picked up by my local dealer in a transfer from a dealer in the Redding area. I was told this was the only ABS bike in Northern CA. I would not be surprised if this was the case.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Seen 2 today at the dealership. One grey non abs and the other blue abs. Rarely do you see another on the road.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I had a deposit on mine since November... and the order was canceled by Suzuki in March. I ended buying a non-ABS and I'm super happy with it. Canadians have it made, as all of their Wee's come with ABS. Unfortunately we're not that lucky.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Still waiting

I put a deposit on an ABS in early March, and the salesman assures me it's for April delivery.

They've got two weeks. I'm debating what I'll do if they don't have one. They do have a blue '07 non-abs on the floor. Maybe I'll be able to talk them into a good deal on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been looking for an ABS in the Pac NW area for a few monthes and enlisted the "help" of a few dealers, all of which told me Suzuki cut back on the 2008's production to focus on the 2009 models and that trying to find an ABS was next to impossible. I finally bought a 2008 non ABS cause I wasn't going to wait till mid summer or later to have a wee... riding seasons a wastin and I figure I'll pick up the 2010 ABS model! Good luck on your searches.

·
Registered
450 Posts
As rare as they appear to be, if you DO find one w/ ABS you can expect to pay full MSRP at best or at worst get into a bidding war.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I gave up on abs myself and bought a 08 non abs 2 weeks ago. I was told there was none in Texas or the surounding states and the dealers could not give me a eta.

·
Registered
7 Posts
abs availability

cycletrader-online turned up a bunch-one dealer in mississippi apparently had 4! So whats up w/ the '09's;are big changes in store?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Has anyone thought about upfitting a non-ABS to ABS? I Know the cost will be a little high.:( Can it be done? They only have non-abs in my area (I was told to wait for '09 if I wanted ABS)

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A little high is the understatement of the century. Besides the additional equipment, the wheels, wiring harness, brake hoses, rear caliper, and rear master cylinder at least need to be changed. Take a look at to see the separate listing for A and non A models. Those are just the pages where the entire listing is different. http://tinyurl.com/6r6bac

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was thinking the price would be/could be 1000.00 +/- for parts. I'm not an expert on ABS, just asking. It looks Like some of the parts would be add ons not complete assembly replacements. For example the speed sensor on the front wheel.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
There are different part numbers for the A and non-A wheels. Look at the fiche.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW - finally got it!

Picked up my 2008 flat-black 650 ABS today - July 22nd, after putting my deposit down last October. I believe that the dealer was caught in the middle of Suzuki corporate incompetence. A great motorcycle, but how can you run an international manufacturing company with no tracking systems? Anyway - it was a joy to ride home after riding a 2005 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic for a couple of years. This bike is just so "tight" - that's the best way I can describe it. Anyway, that's the end of this saga. Looking forward to posting more now that I "got it."

1 - 18 of 18 Posts