StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After coming back from a 3-day ride, the bike has started backfiring under heavy engine braking. If I've got the revs well up (5k+) and then close the throttle to stop; it'll do it.

It's not a huge deal; I can easily avoid it, but I wonder what would make it start doing this. The only thing that's different that I can think of is I was buying gas from some old pumps out in the countryside.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
603 Posts
When mine started to do this it was the exhaust gasket (connection back by the shock).

·
Registered
522 Posts
After coming back from a 3-day ride, the bike has started backfiring under heavy engine braking. If I've got the revs well up (5k+) and then close the throttle to stop; it'll do it.

It's not a huge deal; I can easily avoid it, but I wonder what would make it start doing this. The only thing that's different that I can think of is I was buying gas from some old pumps out in the countryside.

Any ideas?
Are you speaking of a "back-fire" which happens in the intake, or an "after-fire" which happens in the exhaust?

·
Registered
924 Posts
You didn't fit a free flowing after market exhaust just before you last ride did you? Vees are notorious for not liking this mod without the added fitment of some form of fuel regulator. Wees can get away with it, Vees can't.

If we exclude this then check for black marks around the exhaust gaskets as others have suggested.

If you've had to use dodgy fuel I'd be running some injector cleaner for a two or three tanks. My K5 has done under 60 000 klms but I had to replace the fuel pump and filter ($400 in Australia !!) a short time ago. It was covered with a rusty coloured gunge, yet only about 20% of my riding is in what you'd call remote areas. I'm considering doing the external filter mod so I can see when trouble's brewing. In the meantime I use a maintenance dose of Fuel Doctor every fifth tank.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You didn't fit a free flowing after market exhaust just before you last ride did you? Vees are notorious for not liking this mod without the added fitment of some form of fuel regulator. Wees can get away with it, Vees can't.

If we exclude this then check for black marks around the exhaust gaskets as others have suggested.

If you've had to use dodgy fuel I'd be running some injector cleaner for a two or three tanks. My K5 has done under 60 000 klms but I had to replace the fuel pump and filter ($400 in Australia !!) a short time ago. It was covered with a rusty coloured gunge, yet only about 20% of my riding is in what you'd call remote areas. I'm considering doing the external filter mod so I can see when trouble's brewing. In the meantime I use a maintenance dose of Fuel Doctor every fifth tank.

The exhaust leak is a very good thought. I actually removed and sold a 2Bros exhaust and went back to OEM. I remapped the PCIII to the DynoJet recommended "All Stock" download. This is the first long ride with that setup back on the bike. I didn't use the Permaseal gasket silicon when I put the OEM pipes back on. I'll pull the pipes, clean the connection, and seal it.

Thanks guys, great tips!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When mine started to do this it was the exhaust gasket (connection back by the shock).
Last night I rode around the neighborhood without a helmet and ear plugs. You're right, it's definitely the header to exhaust pipe joint.

Thanks for the tip!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts