StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy a back top hard case but i was wondering if i can buy it without buying the racks to put it on and just installed it the manuf small racK :confused:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Most of them come with a plate that they lock to. That that plate usally
attaches to the stock rack with bolts and a bar under it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
looking to buy a back top hard case but i was wondering if i can buy it without buying the racks to put it on and just installed it the manuf small racK :confused:
Yes you can if you are handy with fabbing up some spacers or whatever might be needed for the case you end up with. You don't need the cool quick detach feature that most mounting plates offer, but it's pretty nice to have.

It's not really a big deal, just some bolts and spacers to level things out. You will most likely need to drill holes through the bottom floor of the top case though, I don't see an easy way around that without using the customized mounting plates.

A flat sided case like a Pelican type will be the easiest I think.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Shad SH46 top case had the mounting plate included for free. The build quality is similar to my Givi side cases. Maybe not quite as good, but more than adequate for my purposes.

If you don't want to drop $150 on a mounting plate, go Shad.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
POC JC Whitney box has neat little German Cross and mounting plate included for the price
Yes, and fortunately it doesn't cost any more to throw away the mounting plate. I had one mounted as per instructions on a KLR, but it wasn't long before the Chinese pot metal latch that holds the box to the plate gave up the ghost. So I just bolted the box directly to the bike's rear rack. If you examine the JCW hardware you may want to do that, too. Otherwise you may reach back for a sandwich one day and grab nothing but air.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts