StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a four month affair with a 2012 Super Tenere I decided my true love is the VStrom. I am happy to say I purchased a 2006 Wee with 2500 miles last week. I am SO HAPPY with the bike. I had a 2008 Vee that I put 17,000 fun miles on. The change bug hit me in the spring and I traded it on a new Tenere. The Yamaha is a great bike, but for my needs and riding style the V Strom is the best bike I have found in the market.

I had a lot of fears about going from the Vee to a Wee, but those were all unfounded. I actually think I like the Wee more than the Vee. I love the smooth, quite engine and the light weight. Handling is superb and the Wee has more than adequate power for all of my needs. SO HAPPY TO BE BACK!!!

·
Registered
359 Posts
super t

I saw a super tenre at deals gap this year. I was lusting for one but after seeing it and talking to the new owner I crossed it off my list. They are too big. 600lbs +, that's all I needed to know. The thing is about the same as my old gen 1 FJR. I almost busted a nut trying to keep it up on a fubar slow turn once, I hated getting it out of the garage and parking lots. 1200 power is nice but who needs it really. Always a trade off in weight when you get an engine that big. And no flippin way I'm doing off road or fire roads with that beast.
I had a wee and vee in that order. I couldn't beleive the difference in the "feel" of the bikes. Night and day. Wee is smooth and easy to ride. Vee is more brutish and takes more effort. Nice torque but wasn't worth the trade off for me. Welcome back.

·
Premium Member
3,022 Posts
Welcome back home.........your bedroom is just the way you left it...........a frickin mess!!!!! So, let the farkling begin (again)........... :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wow....finally someone brave enough to tell the truth about the Super Tenere!
I, too was the owner of a brand new Super Tenere and here's my story.

Bought the ST after reading all the "wonderful rave" reviews on this fantastic new motorcycle.
After riding my 06 Wee for 4 years I wanted something "Safer"...ABS, Shaft Drive and Treaction Control. Unfortunely, my experience with the Yamaha was less than desireable.

Here's what they won't tell you....
This bikes a real pig...very heavy.
Milage is usually around 32-35 MPG....PREMIUM fuel required.
Seat is a joke.
Stumble at low gears
Radiator mounted on the left side will cook you
of course if you drop it on left ....could destroy radiator.
There are a whole bunch of other issues with the Super Tenere but you'll never hear the truth.

Recently bought another Wee (ABS this time) and could not be happier.
To me the DL650 is a better bike than the Super Tenere.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was it because the Wee is lighter weight? In other words how does the Tenere compare to the Vee you used to own? Any thoughts appreciated

·
Registered
167 Posts
been riding since 1970, and while I love my V especially touring two-up , I have always loved lighter bikes, and am contemplating getting a wee , so I can have both !

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not trashing the Super T by any means. I'm sure the bike is the right choice for some, but for me at 56 yrs old, with some lumbar spine issues, the Vee or Wee are better choices. The Wee especially feels so light, nimble, and agile, while having more than enough power for my one up riding and good stability at highway speeds. My Vee was a great bike too. It was THE bike that got me doing touring and longer (150 - 200 mile/day) trips.

Once I got into the Sport Adv Touring segment, I naturally started to look at other options. I debated a GS for several years but was scared off by shaft drive issues, overall high repair costs, and small dealer network in the US. I test drove them, but my Vee felt like a pair of comfortable jeans. The Tenere was a viable alternative to the GS, and I had a lot of confidence in reliability and service network. I was really considering a Wee at this point too, I had read so many positive reviews and the lighter weight was attractive.

So did I get sucked into the Yamaha marketing efforts, maybe. I think I was curious enough to give it a try. All I can say now is you might want to hold onto your Wee or Vee if you decide to try something else. At the end of the day, you may discover that what you have is as good as it gets, and that is REALLY good! All is not lost, I ended up trading in my Vee, but now I am the proud owner of a WEE and really lovin it!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was it because the Wee is lighter weight? In other words how does the Tenere compare to the Vee you used to own? Any thoughts appreciated
The S10 definitely feels heavier than the VEE. IMHO not as nimble or agile. The S10 was VERY confident in turns and a lot of fun to ride, just not as much as the Vee or Wee for me. I also prefer the Suzuki engine, just feels smoother and nicer.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Very interesting. I have been having the urge to cheat on my mistress also. I have been sneaking around on weekends and looking at other girls...British, Italian, German, even some different oriental types like my current squeze.

All the other girls look new and shiny. Some have nice headlights...others skinny tails. But, I have trained my stromtress now to the point she is bringing me beer at the campfire before I even need one. So I sure would miss her.

Im keeping my Vee and sitting on the money from selling my harley. In the dead of winter I will be looking for a street only girl. Then I may vote morman and get another, but the stromtress gets to stay.

·
Registered
498 Posts
and some wires!

As a owner of a "classic" Vee, I've no benchmark to judge other bikes as I've not owned anything else in this century. but if they would spruce up the suspension on the new 2012 glee, and add some wire wheels I'd be putting my money down right now. For me there just isn't enough difference between the Vee and Wee overall for me to switch at this point. I've ridden a wee and was impressed with it overall, but not enough to sell my Vee. It would have to have a bit more off road bias to get me to switch. Me and the Vee are getting along pretty good these days, we've been through all the clutch drama and seat and windshield stuff I think it's safe to say that we have a good relationship! I did add the Super Ten footpegs to her though!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I wasn't trashing the ST...just telling it like it is.
The Super Tenere was a very nice bike with lots of features and a few problems. Just was not the right motorcycle for me.

IMHO, it's hard to beat the DL650 so if you own and ride one...your on top of the heap. :thumbup:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have had many bikes and now have a BMW 1200RTand the Glee Adventure. I sold a Wee several years ago due to back problems and never could shake the great feeling of being on that bike. The 2012 is even better IMO but I must say for super slab comfort I'll take the RT...for adventure runs, the Glee. I love racking up miles on both. You just can't go wrong with a VStrom. Congrats and welcome back.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wasn't trashing the ST...just telling it like it is.
The Super Tenere was a very nice bike with lots of features and a few problems. Just was not the right motorcycle for me.

IMHO, it's hard to beat the DL650 so if you own and ride one...your on top of the heap. :thumbup:
Glazier, I do believe you accurately pinpointed the very same issues I experienced. The only one I didn't was fuel economy. I was getting about 55 MPG on highway riding per the bikes fuel computer ( which may be inaccurate).

I just got home from a 100 mile ride on the WEE and was riding with a friend who has an FJR. I could have killed him in the twisties except he was in front of me, and had no problem whatsoever keeping up on the highway. I got home and was as rested as when I left. No pain or fatigue. The VStrom is in my book the best bike I have ever owned, 1000 or 650, each has their own strengths!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Glazier, I do believe you accurately pinpointed the very same issues I experienced. The only one I didn't was fuel economy. I was getting about 55 MPG on highway riding per the bikes fuel computer ( which may be inaccurate).

I just got home from a 100 mile ride on the WEE and was riding with a friend who has an FJR. I could have killed him in the twisties except he was in front of me, and had no problem whatsoever keeping up on the highway. I got home and was as rested as when I left. No pain or fatigue. The VStrom is in my book the best bike I have ever owned, 1000 or 650, each has their own strengths!!
I agree, but the fuel(premium) consumption was terrible. 38-40 on the bike I rode. Off road it was a joke. Wouldn't traverse ground I take the wee on often. And the gearing sucked. Paralel twin stalled out so easy. Cooling system was a joke and it cooked my ass when the ambient was over 70f.
Felt like as much or less power then a vee. Weight.
That being said, super planted in a turn! Best brakes of any bike I have rode. excellent suspension.
Nice bike but not my type.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts