StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have mentioned in a couple of exhaust oriented threads that the PO of my recently acquired 05 Wee completely drilled out the exhaust. It was too loud and didnt sound very good at all to me. It was that way when I bought it, but I figured that like the KLR, it would be easy to acquire a stock can and get it back to the way I like it. I like it stock quiet and with a spark arrestor.

Acquiring an unmolested stock can turned out to be harder and more expensive than I thought it would be. But a low mileage can was finally found and today I finally got it installed.

I got the can from an ADV inmate that replaced it with a scorpion at 1500 miles. Then, I wanted to mount it so that if I or a future owner ever wanted, it would be easy to replace it with an aftermarket can in the future.

Apparently, when you buy a scorpion can, they provide you with a coupling designed to reattach the stock can, if needed. I contacted scorpion, they gave me the part numbers for the coupling and 2 wide and very heavy duty clamps, then shipped them to me for less than having the work done at a muffler shop.

I cut my pipe per scorpion instructions and used the coupling and clamps. Install was very easy. The coupling was exactly the right diameter for easy, yet firm contact with both sides. Per their suggestion, I used a little clear RTV silicon and snugged up the clamps.

Voila! Very quiet exhaust with no hint of gas leaks yet. It sounds AUsome to be able to hear that fine motor instead of BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH like some tacky harley wannabe. No offense to you folks that like loud. I just dont.

So, it is possible to return to stock easily and successfully.

The Scorpion part numbers are:

Z016.10003 x 1 Clamp

Z016.10008 x 1 Clamp

CP328 x 1 Coupling

The entire transaction was done by email with
[email protected]

Payment was via paypal and shipping from Britain was via UPS.

I am VERY pleased with the transaction and the result. Based upon this transaction, if I ever lose my mind and want an aftermarket exhaust, it will be a Scorpion.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I'm with you on liking it quiet.

My Wee exhaust is stock and I just put a stock muffler on my old KLR650 because the original had burned out (although it made no more noise than most trail bikes).

In the bush it's good to sneak around tracks that maybe you shouldn't really be on. :fineprint:

·
Registered
56 Posts
After coming from a cruiser with loud aftermarket pipes, the quiet stock exhaust is a welcome change.

I can now actually have a conversation with the pillon while riding.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Good on ya for finding the coupling! And I definitely prefer the quiet.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I had a Scorpion slip-on on a previous bike, and it was downright annoying after an hour or so of riding. I briefly considered going with an Akra slip-on on the Wee, but every time I get the notion that having a throatier exhaust might be nice, I just go on a 300-400 mile ride and then ask myself in the last hour of the ride if I really would like to be listening to a loud exhaust the entire time. :green_lol:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Being an actual Harley owner and having a prior posting conversation with DSCR, I have decided to leave my new Wee as it was created. Quiet. I enjoy hearing all those subtle engine sounds and appreciate being able to start the bike in my garage and not wake up the neighbors. :hurray: By the way, I have only been on the Harley once in my last 1000 miles of riding.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Being an actual Harley owner and having a prior posting conversation with DSCR, I have decided to leave my new Wee as it was created. Quiet. I enjoy hearing all those subtle engine sounds and appreciate being able to start the bike in my garage and not wake up the neighbors. :hurray: By the way, I have only been on the Harley once in my last 1000 miles of riding.
HaHa, man, I will never live that down! I hope you are well!

I like harleys. They are not my cup of tea, but if I had the money, I would have an electra glide with all the niceties for long stuff. It would have stock pipes on it though. Or a goldwing.

What grates my nerves more than straight pipe harleys, are the harley wannabes I mentioned above. I detest a honda shadow in particular and any cruiser other than harley, trying to sound like a harley. They never do and sound like crap to me. It's still not quite there, but big vulcans fool me occasionally.

My apologies to the loud metric cruiser crowd, in advance.....:mod2_euro:

I assume you are enjoying the strom then?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Also a Harley owner... I wouldn't consider swaping out the stock exhaust for anything! I love my Screaming Eagles for their straight up nastiness, but love the Strom for it's mannars... until I rip on the throttle and pass on double yellows! But at least as when I'm ripping the throttle, passing on those double yellow's, I'm also hearing my thoughts AND my XM! In my last 1000 miles only about 100 were on the strom, but she's coming with me to work tomorrow

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As a follow up.....

I understand this effect could be my imagination, or that now I dont mind using the throttle, or something else, but ......

The stutter and hesitation from stop and during lower rpms, is gone. The bike pulls strong from 2500 rpm and up now. In general, there is better and more immediate throttle response anywhere in the band.

Again, I could be delusional, but this seems to be true. Also true, is that I really like the bike better now.

Is there any reason, other than in my mind, that any of this is in fact a result of going back to a stock can from a thoroughly mutilated one?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
I love my Screaming Eagles for their straight up nastiness,

Nastiness = Douchbaginess.

If I can hear your pipes from my helmet, they sound like shit.

Don't be supriised to find your Eagles Screaming from an burgeoning aquaintance with potato suppositories some day.

Nothing personal, I'm just tired of the increasing number of places with biases and restrictions against motorcyclist citing the most common (and legitimate) complaint being exhaust noise. I get it, you've got an awsome, nasty, loud Harley Davidson. So do a million other independent, follow no rules, bad-ass bikers who are in dire need of attention from strangers.

Again, nothing personal, it's your right to run Screaming Eagles at 3:00 AM through a residential neighborhood on a school night. It just makes me look bad.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
20k miles on a Honda CB-750 sporting a Supertrapp full exhaust. What an annoying drone. I buy bikes with enough power in the first place now.

Bill

R

·
0 Posts

Nothing personal, I'm just tired of the increasing number of places with biases and restrictions against motorcyclist citing the most common (and legitimate) complaint being exhaust noise. I get it, you've got an awsome, nasty, loud Harley Davidson. So do a million other independent, follow no rules, bad-ass bikers who are in dire need of attention from strangers.

Again, nothing personal, it's your right to run Screaming Eagles at 3:00 AM through a residential neighborhood on a school night. It just makes me look bad.
Sometimes the god of mechanical devices steps in to help.
Recently at the neighborhood watering hole, a midnight miscreant was attempting to break the world record for a V Twin burnout on the rev limiter when the engine ceased abruptly.... never to restart.
I'm not sure if the engine barfed it's guts out or the Mounties clapped him in irons but it's been very quiet since then.
I'm sure many hundreds of people are sleeping better because of it.
To be fair, it's not just the cruisers that make noise at night.

·
Premium Member
125 Posts

Don't be supriised to find your Eagles Screaming from an burgeoning aquaintance with potato suppositories some day.

Speaking from experience, Screaming Eagles are not the problem with Harleys. They are louder than stock, but nothing like straight pipes.

I run Holeshots on my DL1000 with db killers because I like the performance and they weigh a lot less than the stock exhaust. ...and they aren't any louder than my neighbor's lawn mower (but he might be running an aftermarket can on his Briggs and Stratton).

[/IMG]

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Speaking from experience, Screaming Eagles are not the problem with Harleys. They are louder than stock, but nothing like straight pipes.
I know this, but Screaming Eagle is the "performance" arm of HD. These productsa are promoted, sold and installed by by the Motor Company. The Motor Company needs to be reminded of their role in getting their product banned at placed where I want to take my quiet bike.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As a follow up.....

I understand this effect could be my imagination, or that now I dont mind using the throttle, or something else, but ......

The stutter and hesitation from stop and during lower rpms, is gone. The bike pulls strong from 2500 rpm and up now. In general, there is better and more immediate throttle response anywhere in the band.

Again, I could be delusional, but this seems to be true. Also true, is that I really like the bike better now.

Is there any reason, other than in my mind, that any of this is in fact a result of going back to a stock can from a thoroughly mutilated one?
This is the first time I have ever quoted myself ... LOL, sorry.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Back pressure an such, or whatever the science might be? For real, the bike is running better.....

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
This is the first time I have ever quoted myself ... LOL, sorry.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Back pressure an such, or whatever the science might be? For real, the bike is running better.....

You are very lucky.

This is the one rare case of a motorcycle manufaturer's Engineering and Research Departments porviding better performance with a stock pipe than the half-drunk haphazard twiddling of a backyard wrench-twister.

As with you, the sciencey stuff eludes me and the Suzuki Engineers. We all know that Suzuki is just grasping at straws and random pipe-drilling is the most reliable way to improved performance and exhaust tone.

DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE TEXT IS MEANT AS SATIRE AND IS NOT TO BE TAKEN AT FACE VALUE. I DO NOT WISH TO MALIGN THE FINE PRODUCTS FROM THE SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION, LTD. OR THE HIGHLY SKILLED ENGINEERS WHO WORK TIRELESSLY TO PROVIDE OPTIMUM MOTORCYCLE PERFORMANCE AT AN ATTRACTIVE PRICE-POINT.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You are very lucky.

This is the one rare case of a motorcycle manufaturer's Engineering and Research Departments porviding better performance with a stock pipe than the half-drunk haphazard twiddling of a backyard wrench-twister.

As with you, the sciencey stuff eludes me and the Suzuki Engineers. We all know that Suzuki is just grasping at straws and random pipe-drilling is the most reliable way to improved performance and exhaust tone.

DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE TEXT IS MEANT AS SATIRE AND IS NOT TO BE TAKEN AT FACE VALUE. I DO NOT WISH TO MALIGN THE FINE PRODUCTS FROM THE SUZUKI MOTOR CORPORATION, LTD. OR THE HIGHLY SKILLED ENGINEERS WHO WORK TIRELESSLY TO PROVIDE OPTIMUM MOTORCYCLE PERFORMANCE AT AN ATTRACTIVE PRICE-POINT.

LOL.... something like, if you want to go faster, buy a faster bike?

Or, there is no good substitute for the correct tool?

For real, to each his own. But I agree with the premise of your irritation. :beatnik:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
But I agree with the premise of your irritation. :beatnik:
That doesn't irritate me, it's just an observation. A cunningly accurate one, to, I maight add.

Being refused entry on my motorcycle, because the non-cycling public has developed a negative stereotype from roughly half the Harley Davidson Riders, a third of the Sportbike Riders and 90% of the liquor cycle riders is what irritates me.

Edit: And perhaps 2% of the V-Strom riders.

Hey Shep, ya' readin' this. bro?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One last update on returning my wee to stock and quiet.

In addition to drilling out the exhaust, my PO also put in a K&N air filter and removed the air box intake snorkel.

Last night I removed all the proper body panels and the gas tank, replaced the K&N with a nice, new stock air filter and reinstalled the snorkel. In addition to being loud, the lack of snorkel left the airbox open for water and all manner of trash. So, quiet and better protected.

In addition, about half the fasters were very loose. So a bit of blue thread lock later, a bunch of rattles are gone too.

The bike is running AUsomely, and sounds great!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts