StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a suggestion for a passenger back rest. I am looking for something functional but has a nice look to it? Okay I am trying to make my wife happy.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Trunk/ top case...
Not much difference in cost (for some models) of a back rest, and you can have stuff in it for dry safe storage.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Trunk/ top case...
Not much difference in cost (for some models) of a back rest, and you can have stuff in it for dry safe storage.

Ken
+1
it makes the bike more useful for errands and carries spare gear the rest of the time.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When not using a topcase, Dan Vesel's backrest for the wife is very nice and well made.

http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN/MyVStromAccessories/index.html
Dan's backrest is really nice and doesn't cramp the passenger.

The Suzuki top case we have sticks out about an inch over the back of the seat so not only can you not get the seat off with it in place but your passenger has limited room. Not a big deal for short hops but I imagine it could be an issue on longer rides. The DanV backrest in the most forward position gives your passenger a lot more room.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts

The Suzuki top case we have sticks out about an inch over the back of the seat so not only can you not get the seat off with it in place but your passenger has limited room. Not a big deal for short hops but I imagine it could be an issue on longer rides. The DanV backrest in the most forward position gives your passenger a lot more room.
Not all top case/rack options have this issue. My ADVMotostuff rack and Givi V46 topcase do not interfere with the seat even in the forward most position and allow several inches of extra passenger room when adjusted rearward.

·
Registered
313 Posts

I don't know why Suzuki installed the top case the way they did but for those who find it a problem it is a fairly easy fix.I attached the latch assembly to a 2 1\8" x 4" piece of 1\8 stainless plate and riveted it 21\4 inches to the rear. Then i drilled new holes for the pins and moved them back 21\4 inches . I then installed the Suzuki back pad on the top box.
Now my wife is more comfortable and i can remove the seat without taking the top box off.
I often remove the side bags but the top box is never off the bike.It is very convenient to have the storage.
I can't show a picture with the seat as it is in transit from Russel. I hope it arrives soon because the weather is getting better here and watching the bikes going up and down the road is pure torture.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not all top case/rack options have this issue. My ADVMotostuff rack and Givi V46 topcase do not interfere with the seat even in the forward most position and allow several inches of extra passenger room when adjusted rearward.
I actually thought about that option as it would have been way better than what we have.
I ended up going with a set of Happy Trails Denali panniers and only use the top box for solo traveling.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Axio tail bag with backrest

I just scored one on ebay.This gives your passenger a 7" backrest and some storage too.
Good price here and V-strom review - http://www.bikebandit.com/axio-tail-bag?WT.mc_id=1484958&CAWELAID=338433643
I heard these are not completely waterproof but I read that if you spray some tent water shield on it it works fine.
I should have mine in a few days. I have a givi tailbag and sidebags but sometimes I want to just keep it sporty looking so I want to go with my Firstgear mini tank bag and this Axio.Most of the time I will leave the bike dressed like that. If you Google it there are some better pictures showing the rear back pad that is on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts