StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen aftermarket back rests for Vstrom and like how they look. For my kind of travel I can easily get by with a set of soft bags and a tank bag. I’d like to have a permanent back rest for my wife so we can go for coffee anytime without having to haul a trunk everywhere. Also really don’t like the look. But any thoughts?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Once you have a street bike with a top case (rear trunk) you won’t go back to not having one. Both my bikes have one, they are quick-release but they stay on >99% of the time. It’s also a great place to install extra brake lights.

Who cares what it looks like, you can’t see it or feel it while you’re riding, and it adds so much more convenience. Stopping while out riding, lock up your helmet and gear. Carry your lunch and briefcase to work. Bring a change of clothes/shoes or extra layers along with you. Stop by the grocery store on your way home from hitting the twisties. Heck, use the grocery store as an excuse to go for a ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a thought too. Not carrying your helmet everywhere is a good thing!

That’s why I’m wondering about the case or the rest. Regardless, wife needs a backrest.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
I hate the look of the Givi case that was on my R1200GS when I bought it. But it is so convenient I cannot bring myself to take it off. I'm also at a point in my life where I've turned a corner and looks are not as important as function, handling, and comfortable.

IF you get a quick release top case with an integrated back rest you can install in an instant anytime the misses needs a coffee. Or flying solo remove it and go naked.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I bolted a Pelican case to my rear rack to use as a glovebox. I don't know what I'd do without it. The wife likes to lean against it, too. It doesn't come off easily, and it won't hold a helmet, but it isn't so big to swing a leg over, either. Look at other options that work for you. Best, DD

·
Registered
261 Posts
Also, if you get a Givi-type rear luggage case, you may not (probably won’t) need to get a “backrest pad” for it. On some bikes people have found that the backrest pad tends to push the passenger too far forward. And chances are your passenger is wearing a jacket with back armor/padding anyways.

·
Registered
15,612 Posts
Folks with a strict sense of aesthetics can't seem to get into the practicality of luggage and top box.
So you don't like the look of a back rest and not sure of a top box. Let us know when you find happiness.
I have a huge ugly military case as a top box. I love practicality. Guess what, when I'm looking forward while riding I can't even see it.
So when needed, I gots room for all kinds of stuff.
My wife loved the back rest I got for my R100GS. She was gonna kill me before I got it. Forget you, satisfy the wifey!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Misunderstanding. I like the look of a backrest better than a top box. I WILL get something for her to lean on just need to decide. For travel though, side cases and a tank bag will hold what I need to haul.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
I never ride two-up but I simply cannot live without my Givi E460 trunk box. I swap it from the Zook to the Kaw depending on which one I am riding.

·
Administrator
17,516 Posts
Misunderstanding. I like the look of a backrest better than a top box. I WILL get something for her to lean on just need to decide. For travel though, side cases and a tank bag will hold what I need to haul.
I've found over my years of riding, that a top box/case is much more important and useful "for ME" than any side cases or bags. :fineprint:

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I never ride two-up but I simply cannot live without my Givi E460 trunk box. I swap it from the Zook to the Kaw depending on which one I am riding.
Biggest benefit of the top box is having a place to stick your helmet. I run an 42? or 46? liter Givi case on my FZ1 and a 52 liter Kappa case on my DL1000. One thing I will say is that the stock Suzuki box/mount was too small and caused the case to be mounted too far forward. Couldn't even remove the seat with the box installed. When I installed the givi/kappa mount on my dl1000 I mounted it as far back as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That actually looks like it would be more comfortable for a passenger than a backrest. I may just have to suck it up and stop worrying about the look. If you load it with supplies for a trip does the weight up at that height effect handling at all?

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
That actually looks like it would be more comfortable for a passenger than a backrest. I may just have to suck it up and stop worrying about the look. If you load it with supplies for a trip does the weight up at that height effect handling at all?
I load the top boxes up with 12 packs of beer pretty frequently (liquor store runs), don't actually ride 2-up - ever. You notice that there is some extra weight up there when cornering, same as having the panniers loaded up. It is a bigger issue on the FZ1 which you can actually lay into a corner. The DL1000 has so little cornering clearance that you are never really laid over far enough that it matters.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
I look at the top case like this:

It saves me reaching back and raising a digit whenever the Winnebago passes a sports bike ;).

And yeah, they are really convenient and don't screw up the aero as badly as side cases do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts