StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm almost healed from the great rear end crash back in April. I went to the dealer this morning to see about a new 2011 strom. My fractured back still gives me a little trouble, but sitting with my back against something brings some relief.

Has anyone tried using Dan Vesel's back rest? It looks like it may be just the thing I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
The back rest is nice and good for a long sit. In combination with a Corbin seat you will feel pampered. The Corbin itself is a vast improvement even without the backrest as you sit a lot more erect and body weight is supported better.
I can sit erect away from the B/R and be comfy or lean back a little and put my feet up on the highway pegs and really relax.

·
Registered
37 Posts
A friend of mine has the Dan Vesel back rest on his DL1000. I tried it out and loved it. Gives a lot of good support to your lower back. Going to add to my 650 along with a Seargent seat.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Don't have the Vesel backrest but I have a large ventura tailbag I install on the DL backwards... it sits right on the passenger seat. When packed with clothes it acts as a cushioned backrest that I truely love. Not that I always push back on it... I don't, but shifting the body from way-up-front upright to back-in-the-seat pocket, against the backrest is the way to get lots of miles in in a day....IMO.

Dave

·
Registered
197 Posts
Back Support

Perhaps in addition to a backrest or instead, you may want to consider a "kidney belt" such as used by weight lifters. I find them to relieve any back muscle fatigue on 200+ mile trips.

If you are unsure, go to a local drug store and purchase a cheap velcro one.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, folks. I think I will add the back rest as my first new farkle. Valentine, I have been riding around on my wife's Burgman, and wearing a back brace definitely helps.

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
The Dan Vesel (Vessel ?) products are nice quality, affordable, adjustable, can get with comfy sheepskin cover, and are inexpensive. Corbin backrests are $199 I believe PLUS the cost of the Corbin seat which is not much different than a gel seat IMO ... I've had Corbins on three bikes (CB900F, VX800, and XR650L) and I only liked it on the VX800 whereas the others NEVER were remarkably comfortable after 2 hours or more.

I've only used the Vesel passenger backrest which my wife loves (adjustable fore to aft) with sheepskin cover. The rider one looks neat too but I don't have a bad back (yet).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts