North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Tennessee
West Virginia
Connecticut
Rhode Island
Massachusetts

heading up from Georgia along hwy 129 ( a wonderful road with lots of twisties ) lead my buddy and I to the tail of the Dragon which was not a planned way point however at Deals Gap we had to do it, good just to say I did it, however once finished we headed to the Blue Ridge Parkway which was just as impressive as hwy 129 and the tail, however after a couple of days on all the twisties and curves we were keeping an eye open for a little moer if a straighter road.....
There were so many things I could not possibly tpe them all in (one finger at a time would take days)....lol
Ride safe

Tim the drifter

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Been most these places and on the BlueRidge more than any place out of state.Colorado my pic of states to move to if need be.
six states in four days last month.A lot of brave men all americans died here.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
My 2006 Wee-Strom is named Colorado. On its behalf, I thank you for compliments to the Centennial State.
Currently, a friend is riding Colorado for me, generally staying near his home in Markham ON.

There are lots of lovely roads, often where you do not expect them. I chanced upon US 93 going up the spine of Idaho, and it was a fine ride, along the Salmon river, a turbulent stream that is too busy and swift for commercial use, but it's scenic as anything.

Other roads are bleak and discouraging. Never mind visiting Transylvania Louisiana; even the school is closed.

US-2 northward from Spokane takes you to Grand Coulee Dam and the view is splendid.

Going south from Upper Michigan to Lower, stay in the right lane for easier riding on finer gridwork.

ME-6 and ME-9 are great ways to cross Maine. Take 6 for the scenic route to Fredericton NB.

Never mind stopping to toss flat stones into Lake Champlain when US-2 takes you to the middle of the lake.
I went there, and I threw them all in.

Then I coloured in the maps below ...

Keith

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I could spend 11 years riding in WV.
Amen to that. I took two trips up there this summer, and loved every mile of it.

I've ridden in 28 state so far, some more than once, and yet every time I read a post by someone else about where they've been, it just reminds me of how many places I haven't seen yet, and that I'd better get busy.

·
Super Moderator
16,235 Posts
With good reason :wink2: Flat and grid pattern starts....blah

Ummmmmmm.......have you actually ever ridden here? I will put it to you this way, the "only" flat boring part of Ohio is up towards Lake Erie going Straight North, but South/SE/East/SW/NE and East are anything but flat. But that's OK, we don't really want too many knowing how good the roads actually are here. :wink2: Many have said that if you can ride well in Ohio, you can ride well anywhere......and it's true. :fineprint:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Ummmmmmm.......have you actually ever ridden here? I will put it to you this way, the "only" flat boring part of Ohio is up towards Lake Erie going Straight North, but South/SE/East/SW/NE and East are anything but flat. But that's OK, we don't really want too many knowing how good the roads actually are here. :wink2: Many have said that if you can ride well in Ohio, you can ride well anywhere......and it's true. :fineprint:

I have. Ferried over from Sistersville WV to Fly OH then down to Marietta for the night. Next morning lots of 2 lane back roads to Lexington OH. Prior to that left south central PA and rode through central WV to Pipestem. Next day more central WV until we got to Fly. After 2 days of riding in 35th state the 17th state was buzz kill.

As Davy Crockett meant to say. You may all go to hell, and I will go to West Virginia.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Make that 29 states....I forgot that I'd ridden in Ohio.

I rode all the way east to west across Kansas in the middle of June. After that, Kansas became my benchmark for what constitutes hot and flat. Nice people, though; everyone waved, whether they were on a bike or in a truck.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have. Ferried over from Sistersville WV to Fly OH then down to Marietta for the night. Next morning lots of 2 lane back roads to Lexington OH. Prior to that left south central PA and rode through central WV to Pipestem. Next day more central WV until we got to Fly. After 2 days of riding in 35th state the 17th state was buzz kill.

As Davy Crockett meant to say. You may all go to hell, and I will go to West Virginia.
So do you recommend against Louisiana in general? I'm in the planning stages for a big US tour next year and am considering a couple of days in New Orleans (as I've never been). Worth it? Not worth it?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Still have five to go in the lower 48. WV is nice and so close been in it many times. Only - is some of the main roads have lots of seams that are like low speed bumps and cops around Charlotte sure like the radar :furious:. Kansas is nice because you know Colorado is close :grin2: Will say about any state has some nice roads even if most are flat and boring>:).One good thing about the main drag across Kansas is free camp for 24 hours at any rest stop or welcome center. Main drag is only part I have been on. We did a over 900 mile day on the stroms and the flat boring road and way above speed limit did help.
Mississippi is nice on the Trace if you like slow as in could be doing triple the speed limit and still feel safe roads. We did it all.A little less than BlueRidgeParkways 469 but felt as long with the too slow limit on that good of a road.The history stops were nice.Then we went more in to the bottom land and Jeff D. plantation. I need to get the other five in before I get 75 I think.Then again Colorado five more times may be better?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
So do you recommend against Louisiana in general? I'm in the planning stages for a big US tour next year and am considering a couple of days in New Orleans (as I've never been). Worth it? Not worth it?

I am in no way trying to deter you from riding anywhere however if your goal is to ride unpopulated 2 lane twisty mountainous roads w/ lots of elevation change Louisiana is going to be a let down.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I have not explored much of Ohio, but I certainly enjoyed what I saw. The government publicizes scenic roads:
Pages - New Home Page
I rode such secondary roads as US-62, then consulted a map of scenic roads (available free from above site) and simply got lost, letting my shadow guide me roughly toward Sandusky on the shore of lake Erie. I saw lots of very well-built houses, kept looking bright and new by genuine love and zeal, I suppose. Judging by residue at the side of the road, there must be a lot of politicians giving speeches in Ohio ... or maybe the Amish means of travel contributes to that.

When going past horses, I pull in the clutch and the sound from my stock exhaust just about disappears.

At Sandusky, I hoped to catch a ferry to Pelee Island Ontario Canada, but my timing was poor, so I had to ride to Toledo and then Detroit, to get insulted by the loutish people who run the Ambassador Bridge (a very poorly named structure IMHO).

Canadians may be interested in knowing that Ohio contains these cities: Ottawa, London, Ontario (!), and even Toronto. Toronto Ohio is "The Gem City", and its emblem is an emerald. Toronto is on the east edge of the state, about 70 Km. west of Pittsburgh.

Ohio is a hard-working state for hard-working people. If you are one of those, you will probably like riding in Ohio. I do.
Keith

1 - 15 of 15 Posts