StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here used 'non-adventure' tires on their V-Strom?
I have the oppotunity to buy a set of new Battlax T-30 for an excellent price. They are considered 'sport-touring' tires with no off-road capabilities.
Considering my offroading is limited to packed gravel roads at worst, I'm thinking of giving them a try.

Anybody think it might be a bad idea?

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
Makes no difference, it is after all a road bike first and foremost. Mount up whatever tires will fit and suit your riding preferences. :yesnod:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Michelin Pilot Road x. Pick your flavor. I had PR3 on the bike when I bought it, they were excellent. Wet traction aplenty. I have a PR4 (standard, not the "Trail" version) on the rear now with the PR3 still on the front. I am due for another one on the front very soon. Probably will get the PR4 Trail (the only one available in our size).

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Important thing for tires is fit and how they hold up in wet conditions. Durability fits in there someplace along with cost considerations. Any tire can ride on flat gravel roads, it's when you hit a bit of mud or deep sand you wish you had other tires.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I missed the part about packed gravel roads. Michelin PRx are pretty bad on anything but pavement, although I've done packed gravel before. I wasn't going very fast, though.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Maybe a Metzler Next tire? Conti Trail Attack? PR3 is probably a good choice for street only, but they suck big time on dirt roads. The front will easily wash out.

I ran sticky and mild Tourance EXP tires on pavement with good results, but I don't think they are around anymore. They wore out fast on the rear. I guess the Next tire replaced them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Battlax T30s are a replacement for the BT-023s. I had a set of BT-023 on my Bandit a few years ago and was quite happy with them so I figure the T-30s can't be that bad... I just wasn't sure how they'd do on a taller, adventure-style bike, especially on a 19" rim.

On a different note, it looks like Bridgestone replaced the Battle Wing with a new tire, the A40... I thought the OEM Battle Wings were quite good, especially for the price!

·
Administrator
17,395 Posts
The Battlax T30s are a replacement for the BT-023s. I had a set of BT-023 on my Bandit a few years ago and was quite happy with them so I figure the T-30s can't be that bad... I just wasn't sure how they'd do on a taller, adventure-style bike, especially on a 19" rim.

On a different note, it looks like Bridgestone replaced the Battle Wing with a new tire, the A40... I thought the OEM Battle Wings were quite good, especially for the price!
They had better not do away with the BW, as I will be quite pissed! :furious:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had bt t30's on my last bike a tiger800, same sizes as a strom of any cc. They where great but had way to much grip for the tigers ground clearance! They also speeded up the steering, almost to much but then a tiger800 should have a 100/90 front not a 110/80. Ive a vee2 now, battlewings r ok but I'll be changing to a road tyre once there done. Think I'll try the pr4's, depends on price abd what they have at the time I guess

·
Registered
70 Posts
I ran T30s on my 2012 ADV and I liked them after taking a while to get used to them. If you like scraping your pegs you will definitely like them. They sort of fall into the corners but after a few miles it isn't so extreme. They definitely take less counter-steering effort to get around the corners. They are not high mileage though. Close to 10k miles with two rears to one front. For whatever reason mine also were nail and screw magnets. Not many miles on either of my rears without patches in them. Didn't see much advantage to the dual compound in them. If you are getting a good deal on them and ride 90% pavement, I'd go for it. Just for something new if for no other reason. In general I'd give them a 7.5 out of 10.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts