StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Flagstaff, AZ, but frequently ride up to Montrose, CO. I'd say I make this trip about once every 5-6 weeks, this of course all depends on the weather. I usually start riding in March and continue until the snow starts falling again. If anyone is ever up to tag along, let me know!

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ha! Here in a few weeks I'll be riding from CO down to AZ (phx). Maybe I'll pass you along the way.
I'm usually riding back to AZ on Sundays. Which route are you taking? I go from Montrose to Ridgway to Sawpit to Telluride to Dolores, then Cortez to Kayenta to Tuba City and end up in Flagstaff. I hate riding across the Rez solo, it's one of the most dangerous places.

Once in awhile I go to GJ to visit my Sister then take the back way into Moab and go through Blanding. I love riding along the river into Moab.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Basically the rez for me starts just South of Cortez and continues all the way to Tuba City. Are you going through Monument Valley to Kayenta or over to Page?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I live in Flagstaff, AZ, but frequently ride up to Montrose, CO. I'd say I make this trip about once every 5-6 weeks
I understand why. That's a great ride. I have to spend a long time riding a tabletop before being able to even start it though.:sad:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Basically the rez for me starts just South of Cortez and continues all the way to Tuba City. Are you going through Monument Valley to Kayenta or over to Page?
Crap!! I didn't realize that was all rez there.

I was going from Blanding, to Bluff, Kayenta to Tuba. Basically down 191 & 160 to 17.

Hmm, Now I have to find out about firearms on the rez.

Why do you say it's so unsafe there? Any precautions I should take? I've been on the rez a bit last year visiting the four corners from cortez, but that was it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crap!! I didn't realize that was all rez there.

I was going from Blanding, to Bluff, Kayenta to Tuba. Basically down 191 & 160 to 17.

Hmm, Now I have to find out about firearms on the rez.

Why do you say it's so unsafe there? Any precautions I should take? I've been on the rez a bit last year visiting the four corners from cortez, but that was it.
I've done the ride or drive across I'd say 100+ times. Out of the last 10 trips, 8 of them I've seen some extremely horrific collisions. Head on, t-bone, and 1 that I could only tell vehicles were involved because the motor of one of the vehicles was sitting in the road. Sadly there is A LOT of drinking and driving out there. Stop anywhere along the side of the road and you'll see nothing but shattered glass. Lots of stray dogs that like to jump out in front of you. One time last summer I had two drunks walking down the middle of the road and when I came up behind them they acted like they were going to try to knock me off the bike. Just lots of crazy stuff goes on out there.. I could go more in depth with some stories. I won't ever ride across the rez at night again though.. Bad idea.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The 4 hours across the rez are pretty painful. But the mountains usually make it all worth while. :)
The mountains were all I was thinking of. South of Montrose is my favorite area to ride.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've done the ride or drive across I'd say 100+ times. Out of the last 10 trips, 8 of them I've seen some extremely horrific collisions. Head on, t-bone, and 1 that I could only tell vehicles were involved because the motor of one of the vehicles was sitting in the road. Sadly there is A LOT of drinking and driving out there. Stop anywhere along the side of the road and you'll see nothing but shattered glass. Lots of stray dogs that like to jump out in front of you. One time last summer I had two drunks walking down the middle of the road and when I came up behind them they acted like they were going to try to knock me off the bike. Just lots of crazy stuff goes on out there.. I could go more in depth with some stories. I won't ever ride across the rez at night again though.. Bad idea.
Ok, so basically just be extra attentive to the traffic. Any other safety issues/ concerns? I should be in that area about the middle of the day, definitely not at night.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't ride the rez at night! I used to fly medevac out there. Based in Chinle and flew out of all the hotspots, Window Rock, Kayenta, Shiprock, Tuba City and a few others... Besides the downright reckless and intoxicated driving the area is all open range. Not uncommon for a horse or cow to be standing in the middle of the road...

·
Registered
480 Posts
Heading west out of Montrose I took the dirt road (90) across the Uncompadgre(sp?) Plateau to 141. Coming back I did the same thing only from further north by Gateway.(Ridge Rd)
I was working for Canyon Tours in Page when my number came up in the draft in '72 and took a Dodge Colt through a herd of cattle at about 80 at night on my way in so can testify to those dangers, but had never any problems with the locals! I hitchhiked thru that area several times in that era also, and the worst thing that happened was a car load of cowboys threw a cup of water (God I hope it was water) at me in Flagstaff one night.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Don't ride the rez at night! I used to fly medevac out there. Based in Chinle and flew out of all the hotspots, Window Rock, Kayenta, Shiprock, Tuba City and a few others... Besides the downright reckless and intoxicated driving the area is all open range. Not uncommon for a horse or cow to be standing in the middle of the road...
I've had to slow down for horses, cows, and even more common now the SHEEP. However, the Skinwalkers are by far the most horrifying. You don't have to believe in them one bit, but there are some sick people out there that do and practice the ways. I won't say much about it, but makes my skin crawl.

Heading west out of Montrose I took the dirt road (90) across the Uncompadgre(sp?) Plateau to 141. Coming back I did the same thing only from further north by Gateway.(Ridge Rd)
I was working for Canyon Tours in Page when my number came up in the draft in '72 and took a Dodge Colt through a herd of cattle at about 80 at night on my way in so can testify to those dangers, but had never any problems with the locals! I hitchhiked thru that area several times in that era also, and the worst thing that happened was a car load of cowboys threw a cup of water (God I hope it was water) at me in Flagstaff one night.
The 90 to the 141 is on my TO DO list! I've been out that road but never all the way to 141. I usually don't have a whole lot of free time, but I'm going to hit that road this Spring or Summer.

Not too many real cowboys to worry about any more, and I'm sure they wouldn't be throwing water.. Hahaha... I have this GENIUS invention of mine called the velcrow brick. I'm going to velcrow a brick to one of my boxes, anybody dares to mess with me while I'm moving can deal with a brick coming there way. GENIUS! :)

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
90 west out of Montrose goes through the best mule deer and elk huning in CO. Although unrelated, it does add to my post count.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Says the guy in Texas! Hahaha.. J/K Apparently I have to hit 20 posts to see others pictures? So....
I know nothing about the hunting in my home state (where I've lived and hunted all my life) except for the immediate area around me, yet hunted all over CO.

Weird huh?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts