StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a rear axle wrench, front axle hex wrench and radiator guard for my 2014 DL1000. Can't believe that Suzuki recommends inspecting and adjusting the chain every 600 miles but doesn't include an axle wrench in the very pathetic tool kit that comes with the bike. Has anyone found a supplier for these items?

·
Administrator
17,529 Posts
Recommends does not mean it is necessary, the manual is full of "recommendations". :fineprint: Checkout our vendors section or use that Google search box in upper portion of site.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
A 15/16" hex bit works well for the front. They're cheap, maybe about $12.

·
Premium Member
4,227 Posts
I bought a 36mm socket for rear (Lowes), 30mm for front (Lowes) and a 24mm hex converter thingy for front (ebay), these didn't cost very much. You also want a torque wrench. You could do a lot better on price online for the sockets too, I just needed something that day before departing on a trip.

If Suzuki had these in the tool case it would eat up a lot of space, and probably be too junky for regular use anyways.

·
Registered
650 Posts
These look good (I have one) only thing is small bugs can get through the slots and the radiator is a bugger to clean! as the fins are sooo fine. Depends whether you ride at "Bugtime"

Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Ravetech

·
Registered
570 Posts
These look good (I have one) only thing is small bugs can get through the slots and the radiator is a bugger to clean! as the fins are sooo fine. Depends whether you ride at "Bugtime"

Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Ravetech
Any time here is bug time :grin2:
Also some people put nylon stockings over the rad guard.
That's my excuse for carrying women's stockings anyway.:kiss:

Reactions: mr_anonymous

·
Registered
650 Posts
Any time here is bug time :grin2:
Also some people put nylon stockings over the rad guard.
That's my excuse for carrying women's stockings anyway.:kiss:

Years ago I heard of an old bikers trick...to wear pantyhose under yer
jeans to keep warm...yeah right. didnt feel right buying them, felt ffn weird wearin them.:confused:Itchy stupid things.
Not sure I had to share that information..:oops: :embarassed:

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
You can make a front axle tool with a large bolt (I think maybe 5/8"?), a couple of nuts and epoxy or JB Weld, but you can buy a multi-sized tool on ebay for less than ten bucks. Search for motorcycle axle tool.

·
Registered
615 Posts
jeans to keep warm...yeah right. didnt feel right buying them, felt ffn weird wearin them.:confused:Itchy stupid things.
Did you shave your legs first??

·
Registered
650 Posts
:wink2: Great idea! I might give them another go!:wink2: at the time my legs were the least of my worries...:surprise: uh oh...not more shaving? :confused:

·
Registered
947 Posts
Man-up. Use wax on them.:laugh2: Should be able to hear the screams from here.

Coops.

·
Registered
650 Posts
As they say... Its a fine line between pleasure and pain...
The though of wax gives a new angle on the old saying "to dip your wick" :surprise:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Shit! after reading that I reckon I might give the EnviTe (work for the dole) team a go !

·
Registered
615 Posts
Amazing........a question about axle wrenches and radiator guards leads to waxing of the nether regions :wink2: remind me to never ask about lubricating the swingarm pivots! :surprise:

Reactions: We2V2

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
When I grew up it was a common practice in Europe during winter months to wear nylons. I never gave it a second thought back then, here in the states it's not accepted because it's "women's" apparel and anything for a woman is tabu for the "man" - but it's ok for women to wear Mens clothing.. Basically women cross dressers is ok, guy's will be shot

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yeah, many males - at least the current generation particularly in the cities go to nail bars! and get spray tans,wax their legs and (whatevers) so they look good in the mirrors at the Gym we call them "Metrosexuals". So ironically whilst displaying a "ripped" stomach and big muscles also have a bathroom full of "product" for their hair,skin and even makeup..ironically most would also be very derogatory to gay men.

It is interesting about nylons in Europe. Maybe we need an awareness campain! "Real Men wear Nylons" ;)

Back on topic I,m still thinking about an "overstocking" or pre filter for the radiator guard probably a lightweight frame of some sort with "stocking" or mesh adhered to it ,then attatch the frame to the radiator guard with "hook and loop" fasteners or large elastic bands around either end of the rad. guard. After contamination hopefully give it a soak off the bike and rinse it out , another alternative I reckon I will try will be a suitably sized piece of nylon ( ;) ) flymesh with hook and loop dots simply stapled to each corner, and fit it in front of the rad.guard. The stuff is cheap and would tolerate a good scrub with a stiff brush :) It you wanted to be fannytickle you could actually make a "flyscreen" using the regular mouldings and corner pieces etc and fit that!!
- now theres an idea ;)
Maybe I,ll just do that!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I would be a little concerned that something with too fine of a weave (like hose) might block too much air.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
You can make a front axle tool with a large bolt (I think maybe 5/8"?), a couple of nuts and epoxy or JB Weld, but you can buy a multi-sized tool on ebay for less than ten bucks. Search for motorcycle axle tool.
A 5/8" standard bolt has a 15/16" head. X-heavy has an 1-1/16" head.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Amazing........a question about axle wrenches and radiator guards leads to waxing of the nether regions :wink2: remind me to never ask about lubricating the swingarm pivots! :surprise:
A hardened shaft should be well lubricated to assist in the pivoting action.This will ensure a smooth ride and assist in reducing pre-load.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts