StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:headbang::headbang:. Ordered a Avon Distanzia rear for the wee from Competition Accessories. We installed it and noticed a constant air bleed. Removed it and found that the bead and sidewall had a gap in it. Looks like the bead and sidewall were not molded correctly in the factory. Has anyone has this issue and insight into resolution with vendor and/ or manufactor?

avon distanzia-web format 002.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Well, that's certainly not normal and it certainly isn't going to hold air properly. I'd send your photo to the vendor and/or manufacturer and see what they are going to do about it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talked with Comp Access. and they directly fwd. me to Avon. Absolutely no help from Comp. Access. Avon said to bring it to Avon dealer in my area and have them inspect it-confirm issue- and the dealer then would take care of it. Called all three motorcycle shops in my area that i use- none stock Avons. Called Avon back and they said bring it any shop and have them call us. Guess what- the shop I took it took was really not much help as I had not purchased the tire from them. "If you would have bought the tire from us-you wouldn't have this problem". Avon sent the shop a warranty return form for me to fax back to Avon. Said they would contact me once they get back in office Monday. Got a big trip planned for 21-June.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
That's not much in the way of customer assistance. Something like that you say, "Yes, it is obviously a problem with the tire and if you send us your address we'll have you a new tire there ASAP along with a prepaid return-shipping label for the old one." That run-around just isn't right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed SCraig- that's how GOOD Customer Service should be. Now I'm pretty sure Comp. Access. won't get my business. My thought with my local shop comment on "shoulda bought the tire from us" was "I might have been born in the morning, but it wasn't this morning". NONE of these guys inspect the tires when they come off the truck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wondering if I should suck it up and order another Distanzia instead of waiting on the warranty replacement that might get here too late?

·
Premium Member
442 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I also belong to a "Valkyrie" Forum and a lot of the owners over there like Avons IF THEY GET GOOD ONES. Avon seems to have sketchy quality control at best. I had a good set on my Valkyrie & the next set was "crap". Luckily I had purchased them from my local dealer & they exchanged them FREE for any tire of my choice. No more Avons for me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had Avon Distanzia's mounted on front & rear in March. Never had a single problem with them, even a little bit.

I've checked the pressure regularly and have only had to add air TWICE. Mine are holding pressure and shape better than any other tire I have ever used. I guess it really is a quality control issue as another poster suggested.

I've gone through one round of oil on these tires so far and am pleased with the longevity of the tread as well. I do a lot of highway riding and the center tread has been unfazed.

Sorry to hear about your particular issues and lack of support from vendors. :thumbdown: I couldn't be happier with the shoes my Wee is sporting at the moment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well a whole work day went by today (monday) and not a phone call or email response from either Competition Accessories or Avon :thumbdown:. Not really pleased with either at this moment. Despite this issue- I did use my local shop and ordered another Distanzia for just in case to not jeopardize my trip to Minnesota.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Avon was bought by Cooper Tires a few years ago. Cooper doesn't make the world's greatest tires, but they still make some very high performance Avon tyres.

Problems with Cooper tires can ... be linked to the widespread improper application of solvents during the tire production process. Employees also testified during these proceedings that foreign objects, including time cards and chicken bones, were mistakenly baked into tires during production. Workers were also allegedly ordered to pop blisters in the tire rubber that were up to eight inches in length instead of discarding them as scrap. Blister popping can compromise the integrity of the tire''s inner lining which can lead to serious problems with Cooper tires.http://www.lycos.com/info/cooper-tires--rubber-company.html

Anyway, I'd get on the phone to the vendor you used and try to get help from a higher-up than the low paid clerk on the customer non-support line. If you get a manager on the phone, tell them how you're reporting the service you get from their company on a forum with 18,000 members! That vendor owes you service just as much as Avon owes you a new tire--or a full refund.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amazingly on a whim I called Comp. Acc at 6:15pm and actually talked with someone in service who has since emailed me a return auth. with UPS. To this point Avon has not contacted me back. Agreed the power of #'s with stromtroopers can be a powerful force to leverage with.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Most mail order whorehouses

You might save some money, but look at the date codes, if you are lucky enough to get a tire at least 6 years old .....
You get what ya pay for !!!!
Most dealers will give you a good deal on tires as far as matching some net prices......
And its not an insult bring tires in to have them mounted....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts