StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for any info or opinions on the Avon AM26 Roadrider tires, but couldn't find anything. I know the front would have to be 100/90-19 instead of 110/80-19, but don't see that as much of a problem.

Has anyone run these tires and if so, what are your opinions? Good or bad, I want to know.

Thanx

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
They're absolutely fantastic on vintage bikes. They're all I'll use on my 1983 GS850G.

No idea about using them on a DL, but they are modern, high-quality tires. Bias-ply, although that makes less difference than many think it does.

You're certainly not going to save any money over a pair of quality street-oriented radials (for example, the Bridgestone Battle Wings) in the correct sizes, so I'm not sure I see the point.

There are some über-cheap DL riders who have been happily using 100/90-19 Shinko street tires in order to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the info.
My stock TW's are done at 4300 miles. I didn't think I was that hard on tires since I'm not that good. The rear is into the wear bars and the front is cupped pretty bad.

I'm looking for 100% street tires and the AM26's seem like a good compromise between cost and performance. The Storm 3D X-M's look great, but are expensive and I would probably destroy them pretty fast. I read that bias ply tires are somewhat less susceptible to cupping vs radials.

Shinko's seem to have too many quality issues. I think I'll pass on them.

·
Registered
15,493 Posts
I've had no quality issues with the Shinko's I've run. Good tire for the price. Better mileage than the Endurance I put on.
I've got 2 sets in the garage waiting for the old ones to were out.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The new Bridgestone T30 is a very good choice in a street tire, and not too pricey. $99F/$112R.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had no quality issues with the Shinko's I've run. Good tire for the price. Better mileage than the Endurance I put on.
I've got 2 sets in the garage waiting for the old ones to were out.
Which Shinko's are you running. I was considering the 712's, but read that the groove in the middle of the front tire tracks the rain grooves in the road something terrible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts