StromTrooper banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Since I went to a triangle light pattern on the front, I seem to have far fewer incidents.
This!

And the much brighter LED brake lights with flasher will help the getting taken from behind :asshole:

I rarely touch my horn, and definitely not before or during an incident. Maybe after to let the cager know how dangerous they just were.

I also replaced the small parking lights on my wee with bright blue LEDs. Hard to miss me with all the above.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A big problem here in Florida are median left turn lanes partially obscured by vegetation and of course the worst driving I’ve ever experienced.
I look at riding as rolling chess trying to always have a 3D purview of my immediate surroundings and awareness of the placements of all the vehicles surrounding me.
In these semi urban type settings I’m always placing myself so as to have an automobile blocking me from the left when possible.
You’ve got to use the bikes power and agility to constantly place yourself in the most desirable position on the board.
When Approaching intersections I’ll try to place myself in the middle lane tightening up on cars in the fast lane but never overlapping when entering the intersection, barring this I slow down and expect the left turn even if they don’t have the green as traffic signals are just suggestions for people down here.
I stand up on the pegs and have headlight flashers and hi vis gear, all of which seem to help, but I still AWAYS assume the driver doesn’t see me and is going to do the stupidest thing possible which is often.
Don’t be afraid to put the bike where you want, even if that means lane splitting.
Generally I think the loud pipes save lives is bs, I have stock pipes and when I wind it up, everyone around me knows I’m there but I never rely on that.
Your presence of mind saves your life !

·
Registered
156 Posts
There is a fatal following distance where if you are too far behind the car in front the left turner will misjudge a bikes speed and distance and try to make the gap.
Don’t ever put yourself in this spot!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've incorporated high vis gear (helmet and jacket) but still find that cagers just look through you at intersections. I keep my eyes glued to left turners and their wheels. I see so much as those tires move an inch and I become one of those wacky waving inflatable arm guys! You need to be attentive at all times when around traffic. I've gotten myself out two really close calls just by anticipating what poor drivers do.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts