StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I originally thought about installing the Genuine Suzuki Auxiliary lights on my '21 VStrom 650. But not at those prices. I'm sure they are excellent units. I hope so for that price. I searched the aftermarket and Denali and Baja Designs has a few really good ones that look like they will survive a nuclear strike. There are also tons of DIY options on Ebay and Amazon. I opted for something in between the cheap aftermarket stuff to the high end brand name stuff and went for AdventureTech's solution.

AdventureTech, LLC LED Auxiliary Light for 2017+ DL650

Off-Road ATV/UTV Light Bar Mount Bracket from Amazon

Wire Splice Connector For Switched Power

I only went for the lights and the wiring kit. My T-Rex crash bars will not play nice with the AdventureTech bracket specific to the '17+ VStrom 650's due to the location of the crash bar's upper cross bar. Because of this I had to get a standalone auxiliary light bracket from Amazon.

There's no instruction on how to aim the lights Actually very little instruction anywhere on YouTube from anybody at all. For now I have to wing it. I did test it at night and they are bright! With the yellow filters on and the light output aimed slightly below my main headlight low beam, they shine a very bright light both ahead and on the sides. Not too far ahead though and I didn't blind vehicles in front of me by shining a bright light at their rearview mirrors! But there is no doubt they see me coming. Those yellow lights on each side and below my headlights are hard to miss!

Untitled by rogue_biker, on Flickr

The small size of the lights and the low position means they are pretty much nearly invisible when they're off.

$22 Amazon sourced aluminum light bracket.

Close up of the light on the light bracket.

A word about the wiring harness. It's nearly plug and play. The harness needs about another 4 inches of length in order for the Relay to be mounted out of sight AND still reach far enough to the bike's battery. As it came to me, the wires required I mount the relay HERE. It won't go anywhere else without stretching the wire tight. This works, but it's not out of sight.

The wire kit has a yellow wire that taps into a switched source to enable the On/Off switch. I tapped into my VStrom's 12-volt power outlet in the dash. I used a T-Tap from my local hardware store to tap the power wire of the 12-volt socket without stripping it or solder and/or electrical tape. It was almost too easy to do.

This is as far as I can place the fuse holder and wires to the battery. It won't go any further back without putting undue pressure on the Relay and the switch up front. It works and it's out of sight here. Just not ideal in my opinion. Another 4 inches is all I ask.

Switch location. I like this simple switch with a metal bracket. I also like it's location. It's not easy to reach with my thumb, which means I won't accidentally turn on my auxiliary lights. But I can reach it as long as I really mean to reach it. Also, the small red LED light is hard to miss so it's easy to tell if I have the switch to ON.

·
Registered
159 Posts
OCL,

Thanks for the write up. I'm going to be installing these in a few weeks on my 18 650XT. Looks good.
Adventure Tech doing us a solid with this Kit.

SB

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stu, check for blue loctite on all screws. These things mount to things that vibrate a lot. Also, this install does require the side panel bodywork, and the top fuel tank cover, and the dash be removed to access wires. It's not difficult at all, in fact it was easy to remove all that (thank you Suzuki), but it does add time to complete the job. If I had more time I would have lifted the tank but I was lazy so I didn't.

Overall I spent $175 I believe, and that's all in. I honestly don't know where one can find all this for less without using some unknown brand light from Amazon or Ebay, cutting/trimming wires/etc. Many people certainly have done it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
OCL,

Awesome...yea, I was planning on taking left side covers off and pulling dash open. are the Lights to harness Plug and play, or do you need to sort those with some kind off connector ?

Stu

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OCL,

Awesome...yea, I was planning on taking left side covers off and pulling dash open. are the Lights to harness Plug and play, or do you need to sort those with some kind off connector ?

Stu
Good question. The Light to harness connection is solid plug and play. It's made of some weatherproof male/female plugs, and there is plenty of wire to run those wires low on the bike. Although I don't know if they'll reach to the bottom of the forks. The only wire I needed to cut was the yellow switch wire to make it shorter.

·
Registered
159 Posts
OCL,

Ok, great. So just to confirm, the wire you tapped into on the Power Port was the orangish one ?
I plan on using Ricks Mount so sounds like a slam dunk..Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Would you please provide more information on the Model Name or Part Number and Vendor for these Cree LED lights? Are these Suzuki factory accessories? I am looking for LED Aux lights for my 20015 DL1000. thanks for your help

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would you please provide more information on the Model Name or Part Number and Vendor for these Cree LED lights? Are these Suzuki factory accessories? I am looking for LED Aux lights for my 20015 DL1000. thanks for your help
Sorry I neglected to do that. I added the links to the products to my post above.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yup Orange. The black with white stripe is ground.
A word of note here. Indeed the "hot" side of the accessory port is orange, at least initially. There is a 3 inch male lead from the back of port that plugs into a female connector that then runs into the bikes main wiring harness. At this connector it should be noted that the orange wire then changes to white/with blue stripe. As far as accessibility goes, I see no way to gain access to the orange portion of the wire without removing the instrument cluster. I think however that it might be possible to access the white/blue stripe wire after the connector without taking everything apart. At least on a Gen 3 bike anyway.

This is the back of the accessory port with the instrument cluster removed.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oldflyer,

Ok, good info. So i could just tap into the Blue/White wire without taking the Dash apart . Good to know.
Looks like you just tapped into the Orange wire, nice.
Thanks for the heads up..Just ordered my kit today from Adventure Tech, 18' 650 XT.
Stu

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oldflyer,

Ok, good info. So i could just tap into the Blue/White wire without taking the Dash apart . Good to know.
Looks like you just tapped into the Orange wire, nice.
Thanks for the heads up..Just ordered my kit today from Adventure Tech, 18' 650 XT.
Stu
Actually Stu, I have not yet tapped into any wire. I can see from my picture that the yellow switch wire is visible and it does indeed look like it could be possibly spliced to the orange wire but that is an optical illusion as it is not attached to any wire at this point. I'm still looking for better options that might make this easier for others here with Gen 3 bikes. Stay tuned

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The T-Tap I used took exactly a minute. No splicing, cutting, or soldering.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oldflyer,

Oh, ok...keep us posted if you find a better/easier wiring option. Thanks..
Stu

·
Registered
650 XTA 2019
3 Posts
I just went through a similar process but in a different order. I had the original Suzuki crash bars on my 650 XTA 2019 and I added the AdventureTech light bar along with the Denali DM lights (AdventureTech was out of lights at the time).

I recently bent the Suzuki bars when crashing off-road so I installed the T-Rex bars.

The lights still work with the T-Rex bars because the Denali DM lights are so small. However, I am thinking to buy some mount brackets from Amazon and install the lights on the crash bars, like you did. It would look better and lower the lights but the lights are currently perfectly protected by the crash bars... so I haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
2021 VStrom 650 XT
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I originally wanted to mount my AdventureTech auxiliary lights using the AdventureTech bracket that sits right under the Beak, but due to the size of the lights, I knew it would interfere with the T-Rex cross bar. But this was possibly a blessing in disguise because look at the proximity of your auxiliary lights from the turn signals. When the Aux lights are on, it may partially wash out the turn signals when they are blinking. Just a small safety issue that may be real or imagined by me. I will say I like the Denali micro lights. They do give you more flexibility in mounting locations due to their tiny size.

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK...The install is complete of the AdventureTech auxiliary lights and I have indeed found a way to make wiring the switch very simple. The best part is that the complete install could possibly be accomplished without removing any of the body fairings.

The 1st thing to do is mount the switch to the handlebar and run the wiring harness to the battery.

Now for switch power. On 2017+ Gen 3 bikes there is a small marker light at the bottom of the headlight stack.

Up under the beak there is a 1/4 turn connector that gives access to the bulb.

Note that both wires are black. Since we must tap into the "hot" wire, simply remove the bulb and use the yellow switch wire to determine which side has power. Only one will work. After finding the power wire I put a small piece of tape on it for easy identification.

I then slid a narrow heat shrink tube over the yellow wire to make it blend in.

To tap the wire I used these. It pierces the wire with a pin vs the guillotine of a t-tap.

With the Posi-Tap installed it looks like this.

I zip tied the relay to the frame after removing the small metal mounting tab on the relay itself. The relay cannot be seen by the rider in this location.

The finished product

Here is what it looks like from underneath. Note the easy access to the switched power source via the hot side of the marker light.

So there you have it. Gen 3 bikes are difficult to gain easy access to the accessory power port without removing the left side fairings and the instrument cluster like I did. Using the marker light as switched power makes this task much easier. Just reach up under the beak and the wires are very accessible without having to remove a bunch of body parts.

I'm overall very pleased with these lights. Yet again another quality AdventureTech product. Thanks Rick. I do hope this helps future installs with another option for finding switch power.

·
Registered
V-Strom 650 XT 2021 Euro5, Yamaha 2007 XMax 250 Euro3
114 Posts
Interesting i tagged that poste as I would like to add front lights

·
Registered
159 Posts
Oldflyer,

Outstanding !!!
This is a big help. Planning on doing this soon, will be getting kit on Saturday. I was wondering if that Marker light would work since its so easy to access, perfect. It also answered which gauge of
Posi Tap i need to get.
Great photos and write up !
Thanks a lot....
Stu

1 - 20 of 28 Posts