StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Looking to install a socket to charge my GPS/phone on my Glee and wondering where best place to install it. What have others done? Not too keen installing a shelf.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
4,521 Posts
On my Weestrom I just zip tied a cigarette lighter type extension socket to a fork stanchion just below the upper triple clamp. It was a rubber waterproof type socket and I fitted it upside down to prevent water ingress. The cigarette plug stays put upside down and I cut off the male end and wired it to the heated grips socket under the gas tank for power on with ignition on. Just position the socket against the front of the stanchion where it does not catch on anything lock to lock.
It has been there 2 or 3 years with no issues. Out of sight and protected within the forks tunnel and even washing the bike has caused no issues.
12V 24V 10A Car Cigarette Lighter Plug Extension Cable Cord Socket 3 Meters 10ft | eBay

·
Registered
294 Posts
Its the shelf for me

Attachments

·
Vendor
4,738 Posts
On the Wee, Wee2, and Vee shelf installation is fairly easy. It's easier with a long extension and coming up from underneath, but it can be done with a regular wrench. It's also easy on the Vee2, but less popular.

Auxiliary Shelves (main page) - AdventureTech, LLC.

But if you dead set against a shelf, look for handlebar "12 volt handle bar socket" on Ebay.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
This is where I put mine. Originally I had one mounted to the left side of the frame, and I would run a cable from the outlet up to a powered tank bag. Later, I made brackets, that I cut out of a piece of angle aluminum, and mounted the outlets on the handlebar clamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Same location as Stalky Tracker, except mine is on the left side. Mine is wired direct to the battery so I can use it as a port for connecting my Noco battery tender. Never had an issue leaving low draw stuff like GPS/phone/camera charger plugged in for a few hours.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts