StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I was wondering about the best placement for auxiliary lights. I know that a triangle of light increases the visibility by enlarging the shape but is it better to put two lights lower that the main headlight or higher?

I saw that some riders put some lights on the hand guard thus widening the shape but this configuration is more or less in line with the headlight, I was thinking on going higer by putting some led strip on the mirrors. Bad idea? Good idea?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Here is a picture of mine which are mounted to the crash bars. I get a lot of compliments and questions about them since mounting them this spring. I was fed up with people switching lanes into me. Hard to measure if it helps with the kinds of people doing this sort of stuff but it does make the bike more visible for sure.

Avoid mounting lights too close to the directional signals otherwise these will be hard to see.

If you try the mirror idea, let us know how it works out and share pictures, please.

Attachments

·
Vendor
5,236 Posts
Check our light bars here.

There is an excellent thread around here soemwhere reminding people about a study done on motorcycle lighting and making sure cars don't turn in front of you. The bottom line is tat drivers are much more likely to not turn in front of you if they see you, and can judge how fast you are moving. A single headlight helps make sur ethey see you, but is not particualry good and communicating distance and speed. The study found that triangle of lights is best.

The yellowish headlight above center and two very brght lights beneth (hot white) do a good job of this.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Mine went high, only because I have no mount points low. These are Baja Designs at 10% with yellow covers.

Attachments

Reactions: Jac [ITA]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your feedback.

Yes I'm aware of the positive effect in visbility of a triangle of light. I was pondering on wheter there is a difference between having it pointed up or down.

I'm currently waiting on the delivery of waterproof led strip to stick on the mirrors and will report back with pictures and comment.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I went with crash bar mounted lights as well. The guy at Clearwater said the Yellow slip on lense covers increase your visibility. I have a feeling this is accurate.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check to see if there are any regulations on placement. In Pa. USA, driving or fog lights cannot be located above the level of the headlight if they are being used in normal driving on the street.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Generally the laws I've looked up for light placement give you a minimum and maximum distance from the road.
For instance in Ohio, Fog lights have to be between 12"-30". Aux lights between 16"-42".

PA is similar with 12"-42" for either Fog or Aux lights.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I went with crash bar mounted lights as well. The guy at Clearwater said the Yellow slip on lense covers increase your visibility. I have a feeling this is accurate.
I met a GS driver this weekend who was in Alaska and had oil workers tell him they saw him coming down a hill several miles away, said they only saw two yellow dots but not his headlight. I bought my yellow lights because I saw another BMW bike in traffic and it really stood out. I don’t need more light just want to be seen.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Here is a shot of the yellow look.... The Clearwater system uses a dash mounted dimmer that goes to full high when you hit the horn or high beams

Attachments

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I fixed mine on the crash bars.
Doesn't really matter if i had installed them lower, they light up everything : )

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Just a thought, with the running lights too close to the turn signals / indicators, will indication still be visible under all light conditions? As most know, the indicator lumination are not the brightest or most reflective (https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/42325-weak-turn-signals-v-strom-daylight.html). Yes, there are mods that can be done to make the turn signal / indicators more visible, ranging from LED replacements to painting / installing reflective background surface behind the turn signal bulb, etc. With this in mind, perhaps the running lights should be mounted at a level below the headlight.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I took some hits on here for commenting on my driving lights being mounted to the crash bars. Well I have
to say it works just fine. I have not had a driver (yet) to try to pull out in front of me from a side road.
I've been riding motorcycles for over 40 years and this bike is setup to be the most safe of any I've ever owned.
You learn a lot in that length of time behind the bars. One tip : always make yourself seen more than heard....

Anyway here are some better pics

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
Check our light bars here.

There is an excellent thread around here soemwhere reminding people about a study done on motorcycle lighting and making sure cars don't turn in front of you. The bottom line is tat drivers are much more likely to not turn in front of you if they see you, and can judge how fast you are moving. A single headlight helps make sur ethey see you, but is not particualry good and communicating distance and speed. The study found that triangle of lights is best.

The yellowish headlight above center and two very brght lights beneth (hot white) do a good job of this.
I've got the Adventure tech setup, and I'm happy with the results. Initially I got the floods versus the spots for night driving, but I gravitated to leaving them on at all times anyway

·
Vendor
5,236 Posts
I posted a video a hile back showing turn signals operating with our light kits. Four inches away is all that is needed to ensure that the lights have no effect what so ever in seeing the turn signals. In fact it's the required distance by law in some provinces.

A thought on lights outside the crash bars. the crash bars are a sacrificial surfaace that takes the hit in a tip over. Using lights to save teh paint on crash bars never made any sense to me. If you mount them to teh crash bars I suggest putting them inside the protected area. There is also a reflector mount on the lowr fork legs that is a ready made mounting point. Light bars make for an eaier installation, but many people have mounted lights on the fork legs.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Yup, the Clearwater lights are priced for BMW s. I bought refurb units and saved enough to make them worth it for me. Very nicely made I must say. Performance seems great. I have a Rigid industries D2's on my car and they put out a ton of light and are built like tanks... But bigger, no dimmer and horn and high beam interface.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts