StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from Quebec, Canada,
I am looking at adding some Aux Lights on my Wee.
I would like to see pics of yours to give myself some ideas of what is available out there...
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's my setup. I got the idea from someone on either advrider or stromtrooper, can't remember which. A big thanks to that person!

It's very basic and easy setup, the lights are 1W waterproof LED:s from dealextreme.com and cost about $12 a piece.

The smaller led:s on the crashbars are BikeVis Brites

Edit: Found the thread where I got the tip, lots of pics here. Sorry for linking to another forum but it's all good and in the interest of fellow stromtroopers!
Let's see Your aux light setup

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I took this picture before I left for Ohio last month. I wasn't really taking pictures of the aux lights but you'll get the idea. I went to Joe's party last summer and a couple of guys there had aux lights. I found these online for 10 bucks or so and switched out the 50w lights with 35w'ers to keep the drain on my alternator down. They work fantastic!!

jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
For my money - the back of the mirrors are great places to add LEDs. I did. You can buy LED strips in 'amber' from radiantz or superbrightleds that have
3M auto adhesive on the back.

Stick them on, wire them into the heated grip wire so they're 'switched' and your good to go.

You can also buy a resistor setup from radiantz that allows you to use the LEDs as running lights and turn signals. The wiring is about 10 minutes more complex but requires a full teardown of the plastic.

Benefits - the lights are UP in drivers eyes. The lights form a wider TRIANGLE and aren't swallowed by the bright ass headlights. They're 'amber' which contrasts the white of the headlights.

Others will post about the importance of the TRIANGLE concept.

Comments about my lights, "Man I saw those things from way across the parking lot - they really POP" This was at 7:30am after the sun had come up on a cloudy day. I don't have a link to the video I posted showing them. I can find the thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRi0chZCze4

if that isn't the right video let me know - work server blocks youtube :(

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
That video is your trunk.

VStrom LED Lights in JC Whitney trunk

·
Registered
953 Posts
For my money - the back of the mirrors are great places to add LEDs. I did. You can buy LED strips in 'amber' from radiantz or superbrightleds that have
3M auto adhesive on the back.

Stick them on, wire them into the heated grip wire so they're 'switched' and your good to go.

You can also buy a resistor setup from radiantz that allows you to use the LEDs as running lights and turn signals. The wiring is about 10 minutes more complex but requires a full teardown of the plastic.

Benefits - the lights are UP in drivers eyes. The lights form a wider TRIANGLE and aren't swallowed by the bright ass headlights. They're 'amber' which contrasts the white of the headlights.

Others will post about the importance of the TRIANGLE concept.

Comments about my lights, "Man I saw those things from way across the parking lot - they really POP" This was at 7:30am after the sun had come up on a cloudy day. I don't have a link to the video I posted showing them. I can find the thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRi0chZCze4

if that isn't the right video let me know - work server blocks youtube :(
Completely agree, although I'm going the easy route and just putting reflexite on them. Should arrive tomorrow! :cool:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Here's my setup. I got the idea from someone on either advrider or stromtrooper, can't remember which. A big thanks to that person!

It's very basic and easy setup, the lights are 1W waterproof LED:s from dealextreme.com and cost about $12 a piece.

The smaller led:s on the crashbars are BikeVis Brites

Edit: Found the thread where I got the tip, lots of pics here. Sorry for linking to another forum but it's all good and in the interest of fellow stromtroopers!
Let's see Your aux light setup
Cool! That was me on ADV (I posted them here too, IIRC).

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
a couple of guys there had aux lights. I found these online for 10 bucks or so and switched out the 50w lights with 35w'ers to keep the drain on my alternator down. They work fantastic!!
That's brilliant! ;)

By the way, they finally sold out of those light. But not before I purchased 4 sets of 'em.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
That's brilliant! ;)

By the way, they finally sold out of those light. But not before I purchased 4 sets of 'em.
No wonder I couldn't find them! I like this set-up, looks like "Motolights" but not as much $$$$. Did you guys use a switch and a relay or just wire them into the headlight circuit? I just want a little more on the front to be seen-the stock headlights are great as-is . Cheers-BB

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
RythmScout, I like your set up, do they make these lights in white? How much do they cost? Thanks for the pic's--Cheers-BB

·
Registered
118 Posts
RythmScout, I like your set up, do they make these lights in white? How much do they cost?
I purchased them here:
http://www.sirennet.com/whrs-02zcr-mc.html

They come in: Amber, Blue, Green, White, Red.
Mine were $50 / each, but white is $65 each.
Yes they are expensive, but i think they will outlast my Wee by years.

They are marketed as emergency vehicle lights (police, fire, etc) so they're very durable.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
No wonder I couldn't find them! I like this set-up, looks like "Motolights" but not as much $$$$. Did you guys use a switch and a relay or just wire them into the headlight circuit? I just want a little more on the front to be seen-the stock headlights are great as-is . Cheers-BB
The lights came from here. They still have some other $19.99 light kits available, just not the ones you see on Jeff's bike.

I used the relay, but purchased a radio shack switch. Used it to switch just the relay trigger wire. That made me feel better than using the lighted switch provided. Less risk of shorting out the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yup, Dirtdad's got the place....I have CRS and couldn't remember where I'd bought them. I think they were the best deal out there and I appreciate being turned on to the place by him. I wired a switch in as shown in the picture but wired the switch into the headlight circuit for the ground and took a home run back to the + side of the battery. I have a red switch on the other side of the insert panel that powers my power outlet. I like these switches because they light up when powered so you know if your putting power to the device....not an issue with the aux lights because you see them but I like to know if my power outlet is hot.....besides, they look cool as hell.

I had a heck of a time finding those switches when I went back to Radio Shack. They didn't carry them anymore in the blue so I had to get the red one for my power outlet. Word to the wise.....be careful if you place switches on both sides of the insert panel because it makes removing the tank it a little more difficult...always use a fuse and leave yourself a little slack.

jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
953 Posts
VisionX Solstice Solo LED lights, low power draw, high output:

Trying to decide if a spread out or cross eyed configuration is best. They have to be mounted high and aimed down a bit though, as otherwise I think they'd be blinding to oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
VisionX Solstice Solo LED lights, low power draw, high output:

Trying to decide if a spread out or cross eyed configuration is best. They have to be mounted high and aimed down a bit though, as otherwise I think they'd be blinding to oncoming drivers.
That's a nice set up... do you have any pictures of them on? I think this is the route I will take...

Richard

1 - 20 of 42 Posts