1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I carry 2 20 oz. white gas canisters filled with 87 when I'm on the road just in case. Are gas stations really that far apart that you'd need to give up that much luggage space? I'm thinking of the Al-Can in 2009, so I'm curious as to what your solution will be.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I don't think I'd like to be carrying around 35 lbs of "additional weight" that high and to the rear of the bike. 2 big old honking tanks like that seems like too much weight concentrated in a less than optimal place. I'm more of a mind to carry 3 or 4 20 oz. fuel cannisters mounted or carried in lower more foreward positions.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
You may be wasting time and money.

I just read a five-year-old article that said gas stations were frequent on the AlCan Highway. I suggest you make sure there is a problem before spending money and effort on a solution.

I am sure there are web sites where you can consult with veterans of that route.

The V-Strom has a mighty tank, and can carry a full load over 160 miles on a tank of gas. I believe the most widely separated stations are much closer than that.

It's always a hazard to carry fuel, especially a shifting load well above the center of gravity.

Your bike, your safety, your call ... but do all the research first.

Good luck on your voyage. I am going the other way, all the way to Newfoundland. I may cross Labrador, where gas stations can be 280 kilometers apart. I do not consider that a problem.

Keith

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Doug, how far north are you travelling ?? I drove up to Fairbanks in the middle 80's and never had a problem finding a gas pump. Unless you are headed way out to the boonies and beyond there may not be a problem. The far north caters to a lot of tourist traffic and generally where you find food you find fuel next door.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
wonder if that tour tank would fit where the extra pipe on the 1000 goes[if you have a 650]a trick i use is i fill a couple of two litre pop bottles with gas and stick them in the front of my jacket,then after 40 klm add one too the gas tank,then another 40 and add the next,now im 80 klm from the last gas station and have a full tank,i know it sounds a bit stupid but im not packing empty jerry cans or extra tanks,just crush the pop bottles and stick in garbage can,although what i do is get gas and go up the road a bit then put gas in the bottles from my tank,then go back fill up again[as gas in pop bottles is not legal]but this is way better than the extra tank thing

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
a trick i use is i fill a couple of two litre pop bottles with gas and stick them in the front of my jacket,then after 40 klm add one too the gas tank,then another 40 and add the next,now im 80 klm from the last gas station and have a full tank
Sorry, I wouldn't go 40 / 80 centimeters with pop bottles full of gas under my jacket. You sir, are a thrillseeker. After all, dress for the slide, not the ride.

·
Registered
22,233 Posts
It's always a hazard to carry fuel, especially a shifting load well above the center of gravity.

you sir have just described 99% of the motorcycles on the road

a a hundred odd years ago, people were afraid to drive vehicles with internal combumstion engines cause thy carried the explosive liquid called gasoline

the fear his starting all over again with hydrogen cars

properly fitted fuel cells are just as safe as the stock tank

carrying unvented fuel is a disaster waiting to happen

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tank weight

Thanks all for the input.

With a Tour Tank of 2 gallons (7lbs/gallon) with fuel and quick release hoses, it comes out to approx 20 pounds that would be installed over the rear seat. If I put one of the 1.25 gal tube tank(s) to either side of the top trunk it comes out to 25lbs.

I've ridden two up with a 6' 2" 170lb passanger without a problem, so 35 lbs isn't a worry.

I also checked with the ACSC (AutoClub) and it does appear that gas is plentiful for the trip to Fairbanks/Anchorage. However we plan on going to the arctic circle which is why I'm thinking additonal tankage.

With my 1K4 getting about 200 a tank, an additonal 80-100 would make sleep come a lot easier.

Also check the Blog @ http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/rideanddest/motorcycle_riding_alaska/ . About 60% the way down is: "Is your fuel range less than 244 miles? Better carry extra gas from Coldfoot to Prudhoe Bay."

Keep the great idea coming!!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
As others have stated, gas is plentiful along the AlCan. Fairbanks to the Circle should be easy with stock capacity. There is gas available at the Yukon River crossing, 135 miles north of Fairbanks and ~60 miles south of the Circle. That being said, if you choose to add extra fuel capacity, even an extra 5 gallons does not add enough weight to adversely affect your bikes handling or safety. I mounted a 5-gal. JAZ plastic drag race cell to the Happy Trail rack on my Wee-Strom for the ride to Prudhoe Bay, as well as a couple of other rides I have planned. My bike was loaded down pretty good, even w/o the cell but I never noticed any difference whether the cell was full or empty. Even from Coldfoot to Prudhoe, I would've been fine with only an extra 1/2 gallon. If that was the only ride I wanted extra fuel for, I wouldn't have gone to the trouble and expense of an aux cell. I'd have just bought a new 1/2 or 1 gallon can in Fairbanks and filled it up at the Yukon Crossing. My $0.02.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Delta88 has a good suggestion. Pick up a gas can and use it as necessary. When you are done with it donate it to a rider headed north and ask him to do the same on the way back to civilization.

·
Registered
453 Posts
That is one great idea, get the others email & keep track of the thing & w/ whom. I can see it now, 'travels of the ole red 2.5 gal poly can'.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It was reported to me that the station at the Yukon Crossing actually has a couple of 1-gal cans for just that purpose. They just ask that you drop off the one you borrowed on your way South. I couldn't confirm this before we left and, besides, it'd be my luck that the cans would be "checked out" already when I got there.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have seen those flat gas can made of some sort of poly materila for ATV's. They are flat and I think they come in various sizes. You may be able to adapt this to your rear rack, then still carry items on top of it. It will still hnder your center of gravity though, but I thought I would mention it and give you another option.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a friend that makes custom aluminum gas tanks for dragsters and hot rods. We've disgussed making a bigger tank for my V. It will replace the stock tank and if all goes as planned, should hold a gallon more, give or take a few oz's. Its still on the drawing board, and we should be actually start the fabrication in a few weeks. Ill keep ya posted if any progress is made.

·
Registered
765 Posts
To keep the fuel from sloshing you can use this:

http://www.watcon.com/Catalog_Pages/Fuel_Cell_Foam.htm

It doesn't reduce the capacity that much also. The idea for racing is to reduce the sloshing so fuel pick up is consistant v. having to have more fuel to optain the same result

Been doing it in pwc racing for years and road racing has finally figured it out.

If you can find a foam Dist. they may have this material as well. Possibly larger scraps.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
wild west

haveing lived in prince george for 5 years, i honestly cant imagine why you would go past there,its miles and miles of trees and rocks,and more trees and rocks,i have only gone up too the mackenze turn off,but i can say from where i lived [prince geoge] it just one great boreing area ,shitty weather combined with people that look at life through a toilet paper roll

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
sorry i was so negative,its just that a trip north is all bikers dream,and i cant see in the near future affording it,i can tell you that once you get past williams lake the terain becomes very dull,miles and miles of trees and rocks

·
Registered
27 Posts
Having gone up and back to Alaska several times, as well as the haul road to Prudhoe I have to disagree to it being "dull". As far as meeting people that see life through a roll of toilet paper, I see them all over the US and Canada...
I guess like beauty, dull can be in the eyes of the beholder.
Just my $.02.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts