StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alaska is on the brain, with a trip planned for this summer with fellow Strommers. Since I'll be the only one on the Wee, I plan to make the most of my one advantage: fuel range. To that end, I see an opportunity for an aux fuel spot where the second muffler would otherwise be on the 1K. I stopped by Gander Mtn and picked up a Kolpin 1.5 gal fuel container. See pics:

It's not as clean a fit as I hoped, but it might work. They also make a water container (white plastic) that might fit better.

Any other ideas?

Z

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I like the idea of it being behind your pannier mounts.
I see alot of gas cans that are strapped on and are very exposed. If your in an accident and hit the ground.. there is going to be gas spilled and there is going to be sparks!!

I think where your going to put it at least you'll have some protection and the extra weight will be offset by the stock exhaust on the other side.

That thing looks bigger than 1.5 gallon for some reason.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I like your idea. I was thinking along the same lines for after I chop one pipe off of my V.

If you haven't seen them yet, Rotopax makes a similar gas can system that, by all accounts, is a much better product. The Kolpin tanks are universally maligned as having leaky lids and pour spouts.

The Rotopax are a little longer and taller, but are 1.5" thinner (so it may fit better) and hold 1/2 gallon more. The Rotopax are rotationally molded, rather than blow molded, so they are stronger, too.

Kolpin: 1.5 gal 11 ½" W x 4 ½" D x 12" H
Rotopax: 2 gal 17 3/4 W x 3" D x 13 1/4 H

I also like the Rotopax system in that you can lock two cans together. It would be really nice to have two gallons of fuel and two gallons of water along in remote areas.

·
Registered
22,275 Posts
I have a damaged spare tank, when my Vee was 3 days old, a ladder fell on it in the barn, insurance replaced the tank, I kept the damaged one

I'm trying to convince a local body man that is good with tank mods to expand it at least to 8 gal, I'd like to find a way to get it to 11, buy he's a harley guy that has plenty of work

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
I like your idea. I was thinking along the same lines for after I chop one pipe off of my V.

If you haven't seen them yet, Rotopax makes a similar gas can system that, by all accounts, is a much better product. The Kolpin tanks are universally maligned as having leaky lids and pour spouts.

The Rotopax are a little longer and taller, but are 1.5" thinner (so it may fit better) and hold 1/2 gallon more. The Rotopax are rotationally molded, rather than blow molded, so they are stronger, too.

Kolpin: 1.5 gal 11 ½" W x 4 ½" D x 12" H
Rotopax: 2 gal 17 3/4 W x 3" D x 13 1/4 H

I also like the Rotopax system in that you can lock two cans together. It would be really nice to have two gallons of fuel and two gallons of water along in remote areas.

Thanks pal :mad: Now I have something else to spend money on!!
Really though, these look sweet. I have been looking for a nice set up to carry fuel on our ATV's. These do look like they are made well! On the bike, wonder if they can be mounted on the side cases?

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Thanks pal :mad: Now I have something else to spend money on!!
Really though, these look sweet. I have been looking for a nice set up to carry fuel on our ATV's. These do look like they are made well! On the bike, wonder if they can be mounted on the side cases?
God-o-mighty. Where do you guys live? The Middle East? How much fuel do you want strap to a Strom?

·
No longer riding.
1,520 Posts
God-o-mighty. Where do you guys live? The Middle East? How much fuel do you want strap to a Strom?
I really don't need extra on the bike. The OP was talking about a trip to Alaska. I was just offering an option. On our ATV's we do carry fuel as you don't have the gas station option in the woods.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I really don't need extra on the bike. The OP was talking about a trip to Alaska. I was just offering an option. On our ATV's we do carry fuel as you don't have the gas station option in the woods.
Not seeking to dis' anyone, but the comment about strapping them onto or as side cases started to sound like someone wanting more to make a political statement than to extend riding range :)

I wonder what bikes in factory config have greater range than a Wee? Mines is 250 miles, but that may be a bit of the threadjack.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
If you only want to carry a small bit of emergency fuel you might be interested in this product:

http://www.cyclefuel.com/

I have travelled many relatively remote roads with gas stations few and far between. Never come too too close to running out. I will be doing the Dempster this year, and am considering something like this product. I suspect I might end up using the extra for someone else's bike rather than my own....

Cheers!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not seeking to dis' anyone, but the comment about strapping them onto or as side cases started to sound like someone wanting more to make a political statement than to extend riding range :)

I wonder what bikes in factory config have greater range than a Wee? Mines is 250 miles, but that may be a bit of the threadjack.
Actually, I'm configuring the Wee to be the Fuel Medic of the bunch. A friend and I were hammering on the eastern plains of CO a few weeks back (extended ton time) and he (XB9 Buell) ran out of fuel around 130. I came close at 150 (blinking last bar). Luckily found a 24 hr unmanned gas station and an empty 1 gallon water jug to fill up.

The Vee doesn't have the hideaway storage of the Wee, so I'll carry the extra fuel for the thirsty liters. Maybe charge $10/gal?

Z

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This looks like it would interfere with suspension travel.
It is pretty close. The pic doesn't show it well, but it was fairly close to being clear. To be sure I'd have to settle on the mounting height and compress the rear shock to check. However, the Kolpin is 4.5" wide and the Rotopax is 3", which would help. I'm holding out until some adjustments are made at work before I try the Rotopax. Gimme a couple of weeks....maybe...

Z

·
Registered
512 Posts
Extra gas Alternative

A few years back, I had a guy mention to me he carried almost pure alchohol in the pint bottles that are found at most pharmacy's. So, one doesn't have to carry all that extra fuel all across the stinking country if they don't want to. He did say that it would get you out of a pinch, but doesn't run as well as good ole gasoline.

Jeff

·
Registered
78 Posts
so, am I the only one that would just keep a washed out water or oil bottle filled with gas to make it to the next gas station?

I wonder if anyone has hooked a trailer to a strom... you could but a targe tank on that, hmm sounds like a summer project for someone.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so, am I the only one that would just keep a washed out water or oil bottle filled with gas to make it to the next gas station?

I wonder if anyone has hooked a trailer to a strom... you could but a targe tank on that, hmm sounds like a summer project for someone.
I'm sure you could put some BMW logos on empties and sell it for a nice profit....

Seriously, two Suzuki hard side cases, one Suzuki hard top case and a Pelican 1430 strapped behind me. Hauling tent, sleeping bag, clothes, tools, maps, storage to lock up electronic gadgets and spares for 6,000 mile round-trip with as much attention to non ALCAN adventures as on....

I'm sure I could find a nice spot to stuff a 1 gallon PET bottle somewhere....maybe get two to balance things out, feng shui style - the other one could be a pee bomb....

Z

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Honda ST1300 has a 7.7 gal tank and isn't too bad on fuel.

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20169&page=2

Just as an example.

/hijack

This is interesting to me, not because I need fuel for myself, but my wife's bike has a small tank, and we ride with some people who don't even have 100 miles of range.

I'll carry fuel for the wife and pass this info on to the friends. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts