StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I had an idea and wanted to get some feedback. There are alot of smart folks who read here and i'm looking for their opinions.

i've found a decent little aux fuel cell (about 2 1/4 gal) and i wanted to install it on the tail rack. it's not a permanent installation but rather a option for certain rides where fuel re-supply may be an issue. as well as an emergency supply for other bikers who may have mis-calculated their fuel supply.

i'm thinking that plumbing the aux cell into the bikes fuel system is abit too involved for my needs and thought, if needed, i would manually transfer fuel from the aux cell to the main tank. i had the idea to use one of those small emergency air compressors (the little ones that plug into your cigarette lighter) and plug it into the fuel cell vent (on the top of the cell). using a shut-off valve or quick disconnect fitting on the cell out port and a piece of fuel line or tubeing to get to the main fuel tank filler port.

turn on the compressor, apply a head pressure, push the fuel out and into the main tank.

i might need to control the air pressure being applied to the tank. not sure how strong those little compressors are. another option is to use a small tire pump and manually create the pressure.

can anyone offer any suggestions or comments?

thx for your time everyone.

·
Registered
110 Posts
2 1/2 gallon temp...gravity feed it by holding it high.:mrgreen:

I have a 4 1/2 gallon beer keg style aux fuel tank. I have looked at plumbing and it looks like plumbing into the FI return line w/ T and quick connectors.

You can prolly do the same for about the same amount of work as aquiring mini compressor.

Mini compressor is high psi but very low volume so you can monitor the pressure easily.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think that's a great idea!

Push it out with air pressure instead of pumping it out with a fluid pump! That's awesome!

Though the gravity feed is probably even simpler. You can get a siphon hose with a squeeze bulb for a couple of bucks. No gas in the mouth, etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Push it out with air pressure instead of pumping it out with a fluid pump! That's awesome!

Though the gravity feed is probably even simpler. You can get a siphon hose with a squeeze bulb for a couple of bucks. No gas in the mouth, etc.
Don't forget your halon fire extinguisher strapped to the side of yer bike. You gonna need it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can also set the vent hose to connect to the aux tank and have the main tank suck gas in from the aux. Remember to vent the aux tank.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fire hazard?

Don't forget your halon fire extinguisher strapped to the side of yer bike. You gonna need it.
max, do you see a fire potential? i realize we are dealing with a very flammable liquid but do you see a problem with the compressor?

thx for your time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts