StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my aux dash yesterday but I ended up with an issue.

I installed a 5V/2.1A/per USB charging outlet, a 12V outlet, and a rocker LED switch.

I wired the negatives of all accessories to the mounting hole on the handlebars to ground out the dash.

All positives are wired together.

The switch is routed to the battery.

When I flip the switch the accessories work. When I turn off the switch everything shuts off. The USB LED lights and charges my phone. The 12V outlet works when something is plugged into it.

The issue is that the red LED on the switch doesn't illuminate. I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if the LED is just dead.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Are there 3 terminals on the switch? You most likely dont have the LEDs return leg to ground/Bat Negative connected.

Normally 2terminals are for switching power, one for led ground. Center usually goes to all your load accessories red wire, one outside terminal goes to bat + and the other outer terminal goes to bat - or ground for the return leg to light the switches LED.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there 3 terminals on the switch? You most likely dont have the LEDs return leg to ground/Bat Negative connected.

Normally 2terminals are for switching power, one for led ground. Center usually goes to all your load accessories red wire, one outside terminal goes to bat + and the other outer terminal goes to bat - or ground for the return leg to light the switches LED.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk
The switch does have three prongs.

The bronze is the ground. All three negatives (switch, USB, 12V) are all grounded together and sent to the handlebar mounting screw.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just tried adding an additional ground straight from the battery and onto the switch along with the original ground. Still no light on the switch but everything still works.

I’m thinking the LED on the switch is bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Returned the switch.

Installed new switch.

Still no light on the switch.

I suck at electricity.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok....

So here's a very basic layout of my wiring. All wires are 14 gauge. There's a 12 gauge inline fuze with a 10A fuze.

I'm still at a loss as to why the switch won't illuminate. I returned the original switch and still no dice.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
First item is to always check the ground.
Eliminate/unplug the two accessory plugs and see if the rocker switch lights up.
Plug in one at a time and see what happens.
Try switching the positive wires on the rocker.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Reverse line in and line out at switch.Release the two wires to switch, rotate switch 180 and re attach wires.The switch does not care about polarity but the led does.Hope this does it for you, cheers Doug

·
Registered
257 Posts
what he said ^^^^^^
also run your ground back to battery
grounding anything on your handle bars is using your steering stem bearings as a ground
thats a big no,no
that is if i understood your ground location

·
Registered
23 Posts
Guys reread the first post everything works BUT the switch doesnt light up.
I'd guess the switch doesnt work with 12v???

LEDs work at about 2.5 - 3.0 volts.
To work at 12 volts a resistor is added internal to the switch. If no resistor internal then you have to add it externally.
You need to determine if the switch light is made to work at 12 volts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys reread the first post everything works BUT the switch doesnt light up.
I'd guess the switch doesnt work with 12v???

LEDs work at about 2.5 - 3.0 volts.
To work at 12 volts a resistor is added internal to the switch. If no resistor internal then you have to add it externally.
You need to determine if the switch light is made to work at 12 volts.
I think you might be right.

The switch I bought from Home Depot is rated at 16A 125V AC / 10A 250V AC. So it looks like this switch was meant to be used around the house in a 110-120VAC environment.

I just ordered the correct switch.

I'm dumb, you can say it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update:

New switch came in and the LED works!!!

Bad news: it doesn’t turn off. The LED is always on, even when the switch is off ?

·
Registered
432 Posts
you don't suck at this or nothing would work. Important to run a ground back to your battery. The bike and it's fasteners are made of many different metals and running a currant through it can cause corrosion.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Update:

New switch came in and the LED works!!!

Bad news: it doesn’t turn off. The LED is always on, even when the switch is off ?
Try putting the power into the other side of the switch.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If it's a three prong switch
Then the brass terminal is usually the ground
Then center usually is power in from battery
And the remaining outside terminal would go to power the item of your choice
Key word here usually
Hope that helps

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Try putting the power into the other side of the switch.
That did the trick!

Thanks for the help everyone. This will hold me over until my Eastern Beaver harness gets here this week.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts