StromTrooper banner

321 - 340 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info, i was confused when reading the EB website. So today doing some wiring and I find this little plug on the left side of the bike under the side cover, there is no power to it but.... is it a circuit that you can power in the fuse-box as there are empty spots? I have looked around and see nothing that would indicate this... also I cannot find the heated grip plug, I found one that looks like it should be but it is roundish but this apparently is not the right one. The one I have found is switched power however so i may use that, the connector I got from EB is squarish ... anybody have problems finding this heated grip plug beside myself? I have taken the rad off and looked everywhere.... left side of the bike is that from the front point of view or the back sitting on the bike...under black tape somewhere?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Left and right terminology is always from the rider's perspective sitting on the bike.

When you say there is no power to the connector you found, is that also with the key on? Highly unlikely there would be a connector that would be on a circuit alone, just needing a fuse...heated grip and aux power connectors are on ignition circuits with lots of other things. A picture might be helpful.

Does the roundish connector you found look like the one on the page in the link below, "DL650 2012 Accessory Adapter"? On the previous model that is the Aux circuit that is inside the right front fairing and is only for low-current devices, not heated gear. Others have not been able to find one of these connectors on the new model; there's some speculation they eliminated it since there's now a power outlet.

https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/vstrom.html

I hate it when a manufacturer has a good thing (like easily accessible power connectors) and then decide to change it and hide them for no apparent reason. I suppose a definitive answer to the heated grip connector question would be if someone could locate Suzuki instructions for OEM heated grip installation. That would tell specifically where that connector is.

Edit I: Having said all that, since you now have the 3-circuit solution, why don't you just tap into that for all your accessories? It's a much better option than using a bike circuit. As I said before, the bike circuits have multiple things on a fuse, meaning that if an accessory developed a short and opened a fuse, it's possible it could kill the engine.

Edit II: If you're installing heated GEAR (not grips), as mentioned before you could go directly to the battery since you will always disconnect when you get off the bike. Oxford Heaterz grips also work just fine going to the battery as it has auto shut-off when the bike isn't running.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took me a little while to find these connectors from the post I was able to find on this forum. I hope these pictures help shorten the time for someone else. First round is the Aux connector location. I included a picture of the Eastern Beaver Accessory Adapter with the positive and negative wires labeled. My Accessory Adapter came with white and black wires. The heated grip connector is bare to fit the mating connector. The Aux connector has a cover that must be removed to use. See posts #46 & #47 in this thread.

Hello - I have a Eastern Beaver aux cable I'm trying to plug into the Aux Connector on my '15 DL650.

Does anyone know an easy way to get to this factory supplied aux port? It is all the way in at an awkward place, and seems like it has a cap that I need to remove.

Seems like part of fairing needs to come out - just don't know which ones!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Took me a little while to find these connectors from the post I was able to find on this forum. I hope these pictures help shorten the time for someone else. First round is the Aux connector location. I included a picture of the Eastern Beaver Accessory Adapter with the positive and negative wires labeled. My Accessory Adapter came with white and black wires. The heated grip connector is bare to fit the mating connector. The Aux connector has a cover that must be removed to use. See posts #46 & #47 in this thread.

Hello - I have a Eastern Beaver aux cable I'm trying to plug into the Aux Connector on my '15 DL650.

Does anyone know an easy way to get to this factory supplied aux port? It is all the way in at an awkward place, and seems like it has a cap that I need to remove.

Seems like part of fairing needs to come out - just don't know which ones!
You can get in there and it is a tight working space, I didn't want to wait for the EB jumper, so used Posi-Tap's to attach to the wires at the plugs. One of them does have a cover and I think it was the one on the RT inside fairing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All

I've not read all the posts so I am not sure if this was discussed... I found a quick and free solution which saved me the time of ordering and paying for a connector I didn't need to get.

My DL650-2015 has the black cap that clips on to the AUX power outlet. This has been discussed early on. It seems the cap is actually able to be used as the plug to to into the socket. I simply unclipped it, pushed out the two round rubber grommets and slid in my wires (RED on the left of the clip and BLACK on the right) so that about 1-2mm of the wire was poking out and then plugged it back into the AUX outlet. It clips in perfectly and the AUX clip holds makes a good connection with the contacts and wires. I just needed to seal the wires where they feed into the clip with electrical tape. The plug is sealed with the clip and the tape.

I did a multi-metre check on the polarities before connecting the wires to work out the positive and negative and to check that the power goes on and off when the ignition is on and off. Did this on Friday night before a 3 day weekend away with my Garmin GPS connected and worked perfectly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
There is a cover. A clip on the side needs to be squeezed or lifted to unlock it. Most are squeezed.
I know this is very old news, but...

I've been trying in vain to get the cover off the AUX plug. I did manage to pop a circle of plastic from one of the holes, not great. I can't see a latch or anything. This is was on my V-Strom in Thailand - in the end I just wired to the battery with a fuse, which was not ideal. This was for my X-Grip phone holder/charger on the bar.

Now I'm back home I want to use the AUX harness I made up, but it's going to be a challenge here as my headlight relay box is mounted just to the rear of the AUX connector, so I will be flying blind.

Any secret tips to "easily" remove that pesky cover?

·
Registered
14 Posts
2018 hidden connector with white tape, near horn...

On a 2008, The one I found is switched power in the same location as the grip heater plug on my 2005, but it is an entirely different connector. It’s round with a white/green and a black/white. I believe it’s the same style as the aux power found under the fairing right side on the older stroms. I’m about to hook up the grips and see what happens:)

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
On the 2018, 2008 is a typo above...
That wire gauge looks pretty small for heated grips. Are you using Oxfords? if so they come pre-wired with a harness that goes right to the battery...very easy to hook up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I have to put gps and usb in the auxiliary connector. someone knows some video or photos to disassemble SIDE COWLING. Is dl650 xt 2016

since they made a bad connection and I have to fix it

Enviado desde mi LG-H850 mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
That wire gauge looks pretty small for heated grips. Are you using Oxfords? if so they come pre-wired with a harness that goes right to the battery...very easy to hook up.
Bikmasters, and before everyone rips on the new guy for not using oxfords:smile2: I had these on another bike and actually like them a lot, big hands... Wire looks the same as my 2005 wee. So far they are working great. Switched hot and a gnd.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is this the Aux Connector

2013 DL650A: I believe this plug is the Aux Connector. It is located on the left side cowl (Left front fork area). It was attached to the left cowl wall on a clip. I added the white zip tie.

I checked the voltage at wires(key on) it measures 4.92 DC. I cut into the wire so I hope its the Aux Plug. Any suggestions.

Thanks, Mel

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
AUX connector is 12V, not 5V. And it's on your right side of the fairing (while sitting on the bike). This is probably ambient temp sensor.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi, does the Aux connector has its own fuse? If so, where is it located?

Thanks,
Ilan

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi, does the Aux connector has its own fuse? If so, where is it located?

Thanks,
Ilan
Theres an answer by greywolf in this thread:

"... the aux connector fused by the ignition fuse. I would go for a 3A as I'd want to make sure a short would blow the 3A fuse instead of the 10A ignition fuse and 3A is plenty for the GPS needs."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it possible that the aux could be in a different location. I've looked using the pictures provided on page #1 but can not locate the aux plug in.

I have a 2016 650.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looked again, only thing that I can find that resembles anything close to that is what I think it's the air temperature sensor.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Post 105 shows what to look for in the upper right part of the fairing to the right of the gauge cluster.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

321 - 340 of 371 Posts