Touring or Regular kit?

TIA

Mike

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
scotoilers

:lol: I putstandard oiler on my 2002 strom top up every 1000 miles don't see need for touring model, been to france twice this year topped up half way through first trip, no need to adjust chain at all. I mounted the resiviour in left side of fairing and just pulled off the blanking plug to access the vacuum (fiddly) :p

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: [b]Automatic Chain lubrification device (Scottoiler)[/b]

Mike_mike said:
I am thinking to put an Scottoiler on my V-Strom, :D

Comments anyone?
Touring or Regular kit?
Only comment, don't do it!

Take a look at www.Pro-Oiler.com

just fitted one to my VStrom, and can report extremely good results so far. My old bike used to break Scottoilers regularly.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
How much and where can I get one?
Being in Canada (Montreal) I need a mail/Internet order store....

How old was your Scottoiler?

Regards,
Mike

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike_mike said:
Thanks,

Regards,
Mike
I have a Scottoiler. It does have its short comings ( gravity fed, controls don't compensate for tempature ). But I started getting 10% better gas mileage.

This Pro-Oiler sounds interesting. I think that the key is buying the best automatic oiler the market currently has.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

stormy said:

just fitted one to my VStrom, and can report extremely good results so far. My old bike used to break Scottoilers regularly.
Stormy, How much does it cost?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Mike_mike said:

Ok here is another question from a newbe.
Is this oiler a must?
I am a chain lube from a can kinda guy, does that not work?
I assume the stock chain is a Oring chain so how often does it need to be lubed ?
Thanx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

DirtyWurty said:
Mike_mike said:

Ok here is another question from a newbe.
Is this oiler a must?
I am a chain lube from a can kinda guy, does that not work?
I assume the stock chain is a Oring chain so how often does it need to be lubed ?
Thanx
No, an auto oiler is not needed. I have never had one and I like to tour. I can see where it would have some convenience though and maybe some day I will pony up for one. I do admit oiling everday on a tour can be a hassle but it's basic maintenance IMO.

Most chains need oiling after 400 miles. If you ride in the rain or inclimate weather I would oil it more often.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

alyef said:
stormy said:

Stormy, How much does it cost?
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. :oops:

Right, cost me about 180 Euros, which I think is not far short of the same in US dollars. Best thing to do is e-mail the guy direct and see what deal you can come up with.

As soon as I am reunited with my VStrom, I'll try and get some pictures of it fitted, but don't hold your breath just yet. Mine is at the dealers investigating this bloody awful knocking at idle, which he seems to think is a problem with the rear cylinder (I think it is the clutch basket myself, but hey, it's his problem if he wants to take the thing apart twice!).

Hopefully be able to get the bike back next week.

Watch this space.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Stormy,

Did you install the Pro-Oiler yourself? How much oil is held in the reservoir?

steve

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I installed the unit myself, although under the "supervision" of the guy who makes it! He lives in Antwerp, Belguim, so maybe a bit far for the US riders to pay a visit!

Oil reservoir size, off the top of my head I couldn't tell you, but I'd say it holds twice the capacity of the standard Scottoiler reservoir.

As I said, the best thing to do is contact the guy direct, (he's from the UK, not Belguim) and he'll help you out with all your questions.

Although I know the guy, I have no financial interest in the product, just a happy customer!

regards.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A guest wrote
Anonymous said:
Yes I installed the unit myself, although under the "supervision" of the guy who makes it! He lives in Antwerp, Belguim, so maybe a bit far for the US riders to pay a visit!

Oil reservoir size, off the top of my head I couldn't tell you, but I'd say it holds twice the capacity of the standard Scottoiler reservoir.

As I said, the best thing to do is contact the guy direct, (he's from the UK, not Belguim) and he'll help you out with all your questions.

Although I know the guy, I have no financial interest in the product, just a happy customer!

regards.
sorry everyone, I forgot to log in! twas me.

:roll: :oops:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks,

Regards,
Mike
My scottoiler have 10 year 8 on my SV and 2 on my wee it never fail and do a very good job . it not expensive easy to install , dependable . I ride 45.00Km on my Sv whit the original chain and sproket

·
Registered
22,311 Posts
I have a Scottoiler. It does have its short comings ( gravity fed, controls don't compensate for tempature ). But I started getting 10% better gas mileage.
I change my formula in the winter, summer straight ATF, winter a blend of ATF & Kerosene

10% milage for oiling yer chain, I find that hard to believe, I found zero difference

fwiw, I haven't been happy with the touring reservoir, I replaced it with the "Lube Tube"

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I change my formula in the winter, summer straight ATF, winter a blend of ATF & Kerosene

10% milage for oiling yer chain, I find that hard to believe, I found zero difference

fwiw, I haven't been happy with the touring reservoir, I replaced it with the "Lube Tube"
Oh yeah....have fun Googling "Lube Tube" for info!!! :jawdrop::yikes:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Scottoiler- Yes

I've used one for years on the Transalp and KLR and now fitting one to the Wee. Pro: Nearly no chain adjustments, extends life X2, and removes the end of day oiling ritual. Con: Can be a bit messy if it slings excess oil on fenders and bags & you must carry a can/bottle of oil with you on trips. Cost in US is about $150.00.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I've used one for years on the Transalp and KLR and now fitting one to the Wee. Pro: Nearly no chain adjustments, extends life X2, and removes the end of day oiling ritual. Con: Can be a bit messy if it slings excess oil on fenders and bags & you must carry a can/bottle of oil with you on trips. Cost in US is about $150.00.
I have the scottoiler touring kit on my wee almost since I bought the bike.
I've had it on other bikes before (same kit); it's probably 20 years old and still works very well. I fill it with ATF fluid once or twice a year and completely forget about my chain the rest of the time. The only chain I've ever had to change below 60,000 kms was the chain that came with my wee (must've been defective because if started misbehaving around 3,000kms and I got rid of it at 6,000). I got around to finally kinstalling my scottoiler when I changed the chain (I didn't weant it to screw up on me too). The current chain has been on my wee for 34,000 kms and shows no signs of wear; I've only adjusted it once when I changed a tire. Support from ScottOiler is excellent; these guys are champs. I had to contact them once because of white goop forming in my touring reservoir (condensation). The install is very easy and the thing is completely hidden behind the sidecase.

I think an oiler is much better than clingy chain lube, as it cleans and lubes the chain at the same time. fling-off is good; it means the dirt is getting off your chain instead of clinging to it, but apparently that is a matter of opinion.

Here are some pics of my setup (I mounted the touring reservoir on the givi rack, as the rear fender is too soft to hold it; I think it's better that way and looks like it completely belongs there). I had just installed the kit when I took the pictures; now that it's been there for a few years, my chain is a nice clean gold colour and my sprocket is shiny too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts