StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing lots of research and reading the last couple months regarding intercoms. In particular Autocom.... Have a few questions, and looking for any advice.

Questions..

Can a non-bluetooth phone be used in the autocom using the headphone jack from phone going into the autocom?

Same question for a non-bluetooth Nuvi GPS using it's headphone jack?

I would like to add a small marine bar mounted radio as my FM and MP3 source. Is this adaptable?

I read through every post here and most of ADV, VSRI, FJR, and ST1300 forums. :confused:

I had it down to the Scala rider Q2 (wireless) and the Autocom (wired).
From what Ive read, about 70% are happy with the Q2, others complain about no stereo, bad FM, charging, few buttons with many applications, etc.
Everyone loves the portability though and no wires, but if you want to add MP3, you add the wire.

98% are happy with their autocom (several different models) and the few that are not happy, seem to upgrade speakers. And just deal with the wire.

Many go from other systems to autocom, none from autocom to the others....

So, autocom seems the logical choice, IF I can get one at decent cost equivalent to the Q2, which is about 240 bucks. This would put me into the Active plus range ( I think).

Thanks for the help.

Ken

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes on all accounts - assuming your radio thingie has a headphone output jack.

However, be aware that there are electrical grounding issues if you power both your equipment and the Autocom from the bike.

These issues can eaisily be overcome by buying one of Autocom's isolation transformers (they make a couple different ones depending on what you want to do and imho are overpriced) or by getting a cheap car stereo isolation transformer from Radio Shack (which is what I did - about $16).

OR you can just power the Autocom from a 9v battery and not have to worry about the grounding problems, but you will have to worry about having fresh batteries on-hand. Personally, I like the $16 Radio Shack solution which will be cheaper in the long-run than buying expensive 9v batteries and putting them in all the time.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I can't speak for Autocom, but you can do what you are asking with the Starcom unit. The only requirement for a phone is it must have the autoanswer function.

Price wise I have the middle range starcom, not the digital, and love it.

Good Luck

·
Registered
870 Posts
I have had a two Autocoms and it was fine with phone, TomTom GPS and it was a beaut system, but the drawback was it was an expensive item to replace. I went through two of them due to the cable getting caught in the back wheel when not connected, my error, but still an issue to deal with.

I tried the Q2, rubbish for music great for everything else.

I now use the Camos Bluetooth stero system, it has done a great job since I started this trip and that is over a year ago :)

That said, the Autocom is definitly a great audio system once the speakers are placed correctly, so personally I would disregard the Q2, if you don't want wires, then an extra $50 will get you perfect music and stereo to boot from Camos. Ther eis a newer one out since then which is better again, but more buck as well :)

Cheers
TS

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Questions..

Can a non-bluetooth phone be used in the autocom using the headphone jack from phone going into the autocom?

Same question for a non-bluetooth Nuvi GPS using it's headphone jack?

I would like to add a small marine bar mounted radio as my FM and MP3 source. Is this adaptable?

I read through every post here and most of ADV, VSRI, FJR, and ST1300 forums. :confused:
Ken
if these guys ship to Canada i don't think you'll beat this price on the basic system. order as much as you can from them because they're just unloading their inventory. theu used to be the U.S. importer. call them. much easier to understand exactly what you need when you talk to them.

http://www.topgearaccess.com/autocom/

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have an Autocom for "two" and it works quite well. Note, they are currently in financial trouble, though.
CVBruce
"Financial trouble" is a bit of an understatement.

Autocom UK has folded and is undergoing liquidation. Not bankruptcy or receivership, liquidation. This happened right before Christmas and is all over various UK internet groups.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212522

http://www.zzr-rg.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=7&p=46071

The official legal notice of liquidation from a London business journal.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/59278/notices/1003832

Their stuff was pricey due to the pound-dollar conversion, but it worked very well. I've had their systems on 3 bikes. Too bad. On the other hand, now's the time to pick up some accessories and units at good prices.

http://www.topgearaccess.com/autocom/

·
Administrator
13,367 Posts
"Financial trouble" is a bit of an understatement.

Autocom UK has folded and is undergoing liquidation. Not bankruptcy or receivership, liquidation. This happened right before Christmas and is all over various UK internet groups....

Old news. It has been bought and is now owned by the same people that own Starcom:

http://www.autocom.co.uk/ said:
Autocom is now part of the Tecstar Electronics Limited group.

Tecstar will continue the Autocom range in its entirety and support current distributors and dealer networks ensuring continuity of supply of product, parts and cables. Tecstar is committed to further product development and will be working to enhance the Autocom range.

NOTE: This site is under construction please ONLY use the following contact details:

Autocom Communications
Tecstar House, Bramley Road, St Ives, Cambridgeshire, PE27 3WS

New FAX number + 44 (O)1480 399503
New Phone number + 44 (O)1480 494444

..Tom

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info folks. The questions I asked were answered the way I hoped. I now have an Autocom Active Plus on the way.

Searching around the net last night I found a slightly used one that will come with rider and passenger headsets, extension leads, 9V power adapter, a Kenwood FRS/GMRS and cables. Motorola radio cables, PTT buttons and related cables, and 4 other cables for phone, GPS and MP3. So were looking pretty good I think!!!

Now, the installation questions. I was thinking of having it mounted either in my tank bag (I'll power it, if so) or under the seat. Any pros/cons of each, any recommendations otherwise? I hear it's best to mount the radio on the bars and not keep the bag as the reception is much better?

Anything else you can add please do so..

Thanks again

Ken

·
Administrator
13,367 Posts
My autocom is mounted under the seat. For me there are no negatives to it although I have heard of some people getting the odd bit of electrical noise there (I never did.).

I am trying to get all bike riders to use channel 7, and "privacy code" 14. 7 is a channel that all frs/gmrs can use and it would be nice to have bikes use a common "hailing" frequency.

..Tom

·
Registered
22,245 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have had a two Autocoms and it was fine with phone, TomTom GPS and it was a beaut system, but the drawback was it was an expensive item to replace. I went through two of them due to the cable getting caught in the back wheel when not connected, my error, but still an issue to deal with.

I tried the Q2, rubbish for music great for everything else.

I now use the Camos Bluetooth stero system, it has done a great job since I started this trip and that is over a year ago :)

That said, the Autocom is definitly a great audio system once the speakers are placed correctly, so personally I would disregard the Q2, if you don't want wires, then an extra $50 will get you perfect music and stereo to boot from Camos. Ther eis a newer one out since then which is better again, but more buck as well :)

Cheers
TS
+1's on the Camos system I've been using the Camos for over two years now and am very happy with it. I switched from an Autocom and never looked back. To stay with the thread, though, as long as your phone has the autoanswer feature, you can use it wuth the Autocom. Some phones need an adapter, specifically Nokias to feed signal into the Autocom.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another question... If I hook up a MP3 or some other music source. will I be able to abjust the volume on it, or will it only be as loud as the preset on the autocom?

Thanks

Ken

·
Administrator
13,367 Posts
Another question... If I hook up a MP3 or some other music source. will I be able to abjust the volume on it, or will it only be as loud as the preset on the autocom?

Thanks

Ken
You can adjust the volume of the mp3 player in the normal fashion.

For me, I found that only the iPod had enough volume for my middle aged which I use with earplugs and the in helmet speakers.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Maggot,

one more thing. the phone lead is 2.5mm four pole plug. if your phone is 3.5mm like other devices (mp3 players) then you'll need an adapter. Autocom told me they couldn't guarantee that any adapter other that theirs would work because the didn't know if the polarity was the same as they use.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello,
I have a Auto com Super Pro, brand new in box.
Will sell for $200, plus shipping from Alberta.
Johnathan 403-606-0505
Where were you 4 days ago???:confused:

Appreciate the offer, but I'll be having an Active plus shipped to me tomorrow. Already paid.

Thanks though.
PS anything come with the unit?

Ken

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry Maggot!
That sounds funny.... missed your thread I guess.
I will have to list in the for sale forum.
Its brand new, never out of the box. Unit, speakers,wires.
Got any buds wanna hook up with ya?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry Maggot!
That sounds funny.... missed your thread I guess.
I will have to list in the for sale forum.
Its brand new, never out of the box. Unit, speakers,wires.
Got any buds wanna hook up with ya?
I'll have to let some riding buddies know. That's a significant savings from any other price I've seen on the net.
What does the Super pro offer that the Active plus doesn't. Extra inputs??
Perhaps I'll buy yours and sell the unit that I'm getting. I assume all the cables I'm getting with mine are adaptable to the super pro?

Ken

1 - 20 of 50 Posts