1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally a moment to intall the Autocom I bought a few weeks ago

took longer than expected
mostly sorting out the cables so that I could run everything neatly

first, because of noise reports when installed under the seat, I fashioned a 4 sided box (no front or top) out of some lead flashing I had laying around, I mounted the unit in the rear of the front underseat compartment (my scottoiler is in the rearward compartment) that left me with room to coil the unused pillon lead

my power source is a 6 place fuse panel & hella micro relays

input # is connected to the bluetooth adaptor that I have velocroed inside hte faring # 2 is connected to my Zumo450 #3 is empty # 4 is connected to my V-1 and the bike to bike lead is connected to an ICOM style input at the handlebar for connecting either ot my Midland 75-822 CB or my RadioShack FRS unit

I also installed a PTT switch, had to slide there clutch perch & mirror about 3/8" inward to squeeze it between the perch and control pod

all my wireing comes together at a point just below the left side of my handlebar into 36" of 3/4" split seam conduit where is runs down above the left frame rail, under the tank mounting bracket then to the right side of my battery, a couple of cables have excess loops and the isolators resting just behine the battery before they run thru the firewall into the compartment space

took me a few hours and a few dubes to figger it out, in the end, every thing is neat and tucked into it's space

so far so good, been listening to mp3s on my zumo, directions & radar override the music, havent tried 2 way yet (need someone on other end)
no problems pairing my Nextel to the bluetooth,

now I can talk when someone form the office called me rather than attempt morse code but squeezing the noise I hear in my pocket

sound quality is even better than I expected, some slight noise (crackling) when I first grab a handfull of throttle in the lower gears, not rpm related, it's only momentary in 1st & 2nd, but not when I roll on the throttle, only under hard acceleration for a split second, it's not bothersome, when I'm twisting the throttle that hard who cares, and it goes away in less than 2 seconds

maybe I can post some pictures tomorrow

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The crackling isn't normal, Randy. Sparkplug noise maybe. Try dressing the cables another way, or even turning the control box upside down, on edge, sideways, etc. The cover plate is cast aluminum, but most of the box is plastic.

·
Registered
22,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The crackling isn't normal, Randy. Sparkplug noise maybe. Try dressing the cables another way, or even turning the control box upside down, on edge, sideways, etc. The cover plate is cast aluminum, but most of the box is plastic.
doesn't sound like any spark plug noise i ever heard.... no room to move twist location, a couple of cables are just barely long enuf, but I might try making a lead flashing cover

the only time I hear the crackle is near full throttle acceleration for just a split second and only 1st or 2nd, I thought it might be the RR when it first gets a whoppin power increase from the stator that's makin the noise

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Administrator
13,347 Posts
Isn't crackling a sign of a bad connection somewhere?

The only time I have experienced crackling is when the leads in my helmet were not clicked together properly. Maybe the acceleration is moving the wires to the helmet and causing a bit of pulling on the wires inside?

I might also suggest checking that all the other connections (power, to radio, etc) are not loose.

..Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Good Job! Looking to get Bike to Bike of some sort myself and Autocom is in the top line of consideration.

Look forward to seeing the mounting pictures when you have time.

-D

·
Registered
259 Posts
autocom installation

Have you used the midland cb yet, I have never been able to get one to work, always have to use the cobra road trip & do a buch of other tricks to make that cb work. Kieth in Tulsa,

·
Registered
22,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
815 Posts
An old thread I realize, but did you get the Midland CB radio to work with the Autocom?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts