StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hook my 2720 to my new Autocom setup (good deals on these right now if you can find the older versions... they just came out with a new lineup) but I don't want to pay the rediculous price for the interface cable from Autocom.

I know that people have built their own cables using parts from Radio Shack but I can not find a parts list anywhere. Involves a transformer, a couple resistors and a capacitor. That much I have found but no specifics on which ones to get.

Does anybody know the parts needed or have a bookmark linked to someplace that has the list?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
If you buy the Autocom cables, you only have to do it once. You can certainly cobble your own together if they are straight cables, but if your GPS is bike powered, you are talking about transformer isolation for the audio. Once you figure out the time to find the parts, the time to assemble, and the time to test, and then ask yourself how much your time is worth, the Autocom cables start looking inexpensive.

I dunno about you, but I've been an electronic tech for 40 years and probably have all the parts (less the transformers) in the general vicinity of my test bench already, but I still bought their cables. One reason is that it's a British design and they do audio a little different there. The other reason is that I figured it would take me at least a day and I'd rather spend a free day riding. Mind you that I'm talking about the isolation interfaces, not straight cables.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts