StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
First time to US for my wife and I, Would love some advise on where to go what to see? We have booked to fly in/out of LAX in April13 for about 6 weeks.

Was going to hire bike and or car for travel and maybe a couple of internal flights. Any must sees or itinery.?

Thanks in advance.:hurray:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Death Valley, Las Vegas, Valley of fire, Grand Canyon just to name a few.
If you come thru Vegas there is lots of rider support and a few V-Stromers

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you ride north from LA go up the coast hiway through Oregon--its beautiful, kinda primitive the futher north you go. (Crater Lake) Then go to Everett WA, over the Cascades and do that entire region--again fantastic riding, sparse traffic, much great scenery.
Go east to the Bitterroot Mts and head south, do the mountains of Idaho, continue down the Rockies to page, UT, then on to the Grand Canyon.
After all that it may be a challenge just to do all that, and we haven't even scratched the surface of touring in the US. I've been working at it for most of my adult life (and I'm old) and I have not really seen all of the above.
The more I think of it, you could spend your entire vacation in the state of CA and you won't have time to see it all!
Maybe you'll have to take several tours of different areas of the US!
I spent two weeks in Perth area (2005)--wonderful place!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I just saw that you will be here in April--that makes me suggest staying further south than in my previous post. Do Yosemite of course, and the Grand Canyon, but as you go east from there you will see the Great Plains aren't all that great for motorcycling IMHO.
In April you can get snowed on sometimes in the north, so you may stay further south and the weather should be good.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Areas from the Rockies west will not disappoint you. Your problem will be having enough time to see all you want. Yosemite and all points north through Washington State are the best, IMHO. Then whip it over to Glacier NP. That should take you nearly a week if you take a little time to smell the roses.
If the Grand Canyon is on your must do list, continue east to the four corners area and sample what Colorado and the San Juans Mtns. have to offer. Western slope of the Colorado Rockies is comparable to the Alps for it's beauty. Work your way back through Utah and Zion NP., then go to Vegas just so you can say you went.
Where ever you go, it will be memorable to say the least. Good luck and have a blast.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanx heaps for your replies and great ideas......

I'm going to pour over the maps now and sort a few things out...

Any more 'must sees' , keep em coming.

Cheers.:thumbup:

.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
986 Posts
The entire region from Cortez, Colorado to Durango--that will occupy any touring rider for many days. There are many unexpected surprises you will encounter there, many national parks. Wolf Creek Pass is always cool. In April you could see snow because of the altitude--but its wild and beautiful.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
My input would be Yellowstone, but April is probably too early.
Now in subscribed to this to monitor:thumbup:
Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
L.A. area.

If you are going to rent a bike in Los Angeles I suggest the following: Immediatly ride to Malibu, check your map and see all the canyon roads that cut between Malibu (Pacific Coast Highway) and the 101 freeway. Burn two tanks of gas (petrol) on these roads (ride them all!) using Mulholland drive to return to the start point after you run out of canyons, always mindful of the police who love to hand out tickets for riding "funlike". Visit the Rock Store (ask anybody on a bike) and enjoy a cold beverage while your shaking hands slowy calm down from all of the awesomeness you have just experienced. L.A. doesn't have to suck, you just need to know where to go. Ride safe! Eric

·
Registered
527 Posts
A lot of good ideas posted already. We just went to Zion Natl Park and did a few hikes - in a day. You can spend weeks in the park but a quick overview was nice.

If you go to the Grand Canyon, I'd work South to Sedona, Arizona, in any loop. Drive up Schnebly Hill Road through the red rock - or take a Pink Jeep Tour.

If you make it to San Diego, PM me and I'll play tour guide. If you find you don't like me, I'll put a bag over my head and just point at sites.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
182 Posts
First time visit to the US and for 6 weeks, hrmm. Tons to see west of the Mississippi for sure and you could easily use 6 weeks there, but our country is large, vast and diverse. My heart belongs to the Southeast. IF you have any time left I would recommend venturing on out this way. LOTS to see from New Orleans to the Low Country to the North Carolina and North Georgia mountains, and beyond. My only real advice is stay away from cities unless you need to get your fill and then move on.
:thumbup:

M2C

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Lots of great places already suggested.
I'll suggest some roads that are super riding and have awesome scenery as a bonus.
Utah;
SR 12 Escalante to Boulder
SR 24 Torrey to Hanksville
SR 95 Hanksville to Blanding

since you'll be 'close' to Cortez, Colorado;
SR 145 Cortez to Montrose
US 550 Montrose to Durango

California
US 101 Coast road.

going inland, the Stanislaus National Forest area;
US 50
SR 88
SR 4 all three go 'toward' Lake Tahoe, ride the Tahoe loop.
Since you're close to Death Valley, April would be a decent time to see it. Some DV experts have posted here could give you tips on that place.

Some misc roads;
Lolo Pass US 12 from Kooskia, Idaho to Lolo, Montana
Beartooth Pass US 212 from Cooke City, Montana to Redlodge, Montana - this is one of the most scenic roads I've ever ridden! As a bonus it is close to Yellowstone, and Grand Teton National parks.

With all the suggestions you've recieved you could spend a couple of years here...good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I spent 5 months in Tasmania a number of years ago, and everyone was so welcoming and happy to show me around that I'd love to return the favor if you get to the Santa Fe area.

>> heck, I might even waive my "no Ockers ride my bike" rule <<

·
Premium Member
2,669 Posts
Just a reality check, many of the places mentioned are up in the mountains, and while they're wonderful places to ride April/May is really too early to do most of them on a bike.
As much as it pains me to say it, a car may make a lot more sense.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Just back from a trip to Fiji....

very popular with Americans...

You people are awesome with your responses and advice...

Can't wait for this trip.

Thanx again for all the tips and offers!!

Cheers. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,114 Posts
Book a suite at the Cosmopolitan, right on the strip in Las Vegas, for a night and whoop it up....nuthin' like Las Vegas on the planet.

And I'm not even a gambler!

April and May are perfect seasons for the desert lands.....And a couple days in Moab, Utah - the canyonlands are spectacular. This Bed and Breakfast is one of the most delightful places I've ever stayed.
http://www.sunflowerhill.com/about.html

1 - 18 of 18 Posts