StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any strom riders in Austin? (I searched and didnt find any Austin threads started.)

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Easily 10 or so that I've seen on here.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
I was in Austin last week for a motorcycle safety presentation. I didn't bring the bike though. It was a job getting the car out of the garage.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool. I am moving to Austin in a week with my Strom and am just wanting to see who all is in the area.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Austin here, as well.

Tip: Head to Leakey as soon as you get the Vstrom road worthy.
The wee is good to go. What is Leakey?

·
Registered
944 Posts
The wee is good to go. What is Leakey?
Leakey, as in the city. Ride the "Texas Threes" (FM/Ranch roads around Leakey that start with the number "3"). Do a Google search on Ranch Roads 335, 336, & 337a and add the word "Texas" and "motorcycle" and you will get links-o-plenty.

It is a great ride. He is a short vid I did awhile back to give you some idea of the terrain, etc: YouTube - Texas 3s Aug2007

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Yes, the "Leakey loop" we called it. Great riding. Stayed a few days at a camp ground that focused on bikes near there. I need to get back down there. Welcome to TX.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The traffic here is hard core!

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
It's a little better once you learn the roads and the rhythms of the traffic. But yeah, don't get me started. I've been here long enough (almost 25 years :yikes:) to remember what it was like before the LA-ification of Austin really got going.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Tip: Head to Leakey as soon as you get the Vstrom road worthy.

Another tip: Go on a weekday. Too much traffic on the weekend.

Rode thru a good part of Kansas in '05??? Some really pretty areas in that state. Especially enjoyed Scenic 7. Never seen so many sunflowers...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Leakey area is great (pronounced Lay-key) Yeah, yeah...Kansas has Salina (sa lie nah) and Eldorado (el dor ay doh)....

Anyway, ride FM 337 from there to Vanderpool and on to Hwy 16.

Also, you gotta ride the Willow City Loop (google it) It's a perfect unimproved road for a Vstrom or any other similar bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had the opportunity to spend some time in your fair city last weekend! Must say it was a great time. Even had Torchy's for dinner one night :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts