StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

What coolant do you use in your strom, and do you have a reason you chose that specific one?

The previous owner ran some stuff that is not easy to come by, so I thought I would change to something more universal, available anywhere so if it ever needs toppping up I can go to a shop and get it.

I use Castrol Radicool in my car, would that be a good idea?

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_australia/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/a/AU_Castrol_RadiCool.pdf

Castrol Australia - Cooling System Products

I have seen that Nulon seems to be available 'everywhere' and may be worth looking at?

Or do I need to go and get expensive Motul or something?

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Muddy,

Does anyone else use coolant in their bike? Or does everyone just use "whatever is around"?

I thought I would have had more responses from the Aussie guys :confused:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I use Nylon green coolant and mix it 50/50 with DEMINERALISED water .You really do not want to use ordinary tap water as it contains various minerals, cholrine and unknown Ph factor . Coolant contains anti corrosion additives to prevent corrosion, why add cholrine which is corrosive ? .

Do not replace red coolant with green coolant without flushing the system first as they are NOT compatable .

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
thanks Muddy,

Does anyone else use coolant in their bike? Or does everyone just use "whatever is around"?

I thought I would have had more responses from the Aussie guys :confused:
Chris,I am not sure of the mandatory coolant change intervals but read Graham Downunder's post and do as he says and all will be good.:yesnod:

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Just looked at your link to Castrol and it is a premixed 33% gycol so do not go with it mix your own at 50% . I do not have my manual on this computer but for my FJR1300 you change it every 3 years, I change my Vstrom every 2 years . Do yourself a favour buy the Nuylon coolant in a 5l bottle it works out cheaper and is nearly 100% gycol . Look in the manual for help .
TIP 1 To fill the system use some hose and a funnel to fill the radiator get a friend to hold the hose in place .
TIP 2 Fill the overflow bottle with 100% gycol as it easier to see .
TIP 3 check hose clamps by loosing them half a turn then tighten them .
TIP 4 spray WD 40 over the themostat housing as it gets a bit of surface corrosion.
TIP 5 lightly squeeze the radiator hoses to get rid of the air in the system, check the system is full after about 15 minute ride and it has cooled down.

MOST important do not get coolant on painted surface.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts