StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have recently posted in the V curious section about my intentions to buy a used Vee. After spending the entire day reading the "issues" section of the Vee forum I am wondering if many of the issues (in particular, the fuelling) are not relevant to Australia, due to our looser emissions laws.

Do you Aussie Vee owners all rush out and buy a Power Commander, or is it really not needed over here? I hate to say it but my research is starting to make me think the Vee is a complete basket case.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Mate....you're wasting your time listening to useless forum-junk and waffle, often by those, who've never ridden a VEE but of course, know it all.
Get your bum on one and RIDE!!

Most of the VEE owners in Oz don't hang around here anymore, they're the first Stromer-Generation and have moved on (in various ways...from bikes to forums they frequent/ mobs they ride with etc).

Nothing wrong with a VEE... a far more iconic bike than the WEE can ever be, if for that glorious donk alone.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Gotta agree with Glitch here. Even though I'm a yank. :yikes:

Get on one. Twist the throttle until the smile on your face is the right size and keep going. Add fuel, lube chain and repeat..... The only problem I have had with my '06 VEE is not having enough time to just ride for shits and grins....

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Our emissions laws are among the toughest in the world.

The Vee owners I know are not bitching about their bikes.

Seems there are minimal but noted issues with some of them [Vee's], nothing that can't be overcome at a moderate cost for the most part.

I suspect some of the claimed problems come from rider styles, while others are just a small batch of bikes off the production line at odd times.

I have not owned a Vee but did ride one when I was looking for a replacement for my R1150GS.

Subsequently I bought the Wee on the recommendations of many others who owned them, without ever having ridden one. :confused:

I figured the Wee and Vee are close enough, physically, that the handling wouldn't be all that different.

The Wee performs at the same level as my 1150GS did, so no loss there.

I would buy either the Wee or a Vee without a second thought [put them side by side and directly comparable in price/condition/mileage and I would pick the Wee first though, in an instant :thumbup: ].

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi SD I bought a 2010 VEE never spluttered or missed a beat once. If you dont mind a few extra kilos and your not trying to keep up with those pestky WEEs fuel range they are a great bike. Good luck

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I figured the Wee and Vee are close enough, physically, that the handling wouldn't be all that different.

With 2 WEEs and 1 VEE in the garage....the handling SURE is different, believe me.
I've been arse-up with the VEE... where it was a sail-over-the-top with the WEE...and no, I didn't just have a bad day that cost a few ribs. (it was, but you know what I mean :mrgreen:).

For a while now, I've been getting too old for the VEE...if I had my time again, I'd have another VEE without even thinking about it for a second.

If you've ever come out of a sweeping righthander in 2.gear at 5000rpm and deftly clock it for redline....you'd know EXACTLY what a VEE is all about.
That grin rips your ears off.:thumbup::thumbup:
IMPOSSIBLE on a WEE! I tried...and not just once.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have got a 06 vee and love it. Bullet proof and like my darling wife goes from 0-100 easy , but always gives you a grin with that big v twin motor.

Get one....... I am confident you wont regret it.

cheers
Mike

·
Registered
924 Posts
Do you Aussie Vee owners all rush out and buy a Power Commander, or is it really not needed over here?
Only if you change to freer flowing after market pipes, and even then you don't need to go to the expense of a Power Commander. Staintune make their SFI module which does a similar job for a whole lot less money.

If I were starting over with another Vee I'd go for a centre stand,better bars, a fork brace, whatever luggage you think you may need and perhaps Blair's four pot front brakes conversion. That's it..... oh and an AirHawk cushion for those long days in the saddle. That's all you need -- anything else is what you want.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used to have a vee, now a wee - the vee I put many k's on and no probs at all. I think you can read up on any bike and hear about this or that issue. I think you're unlikely to have issues.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Had my 07 Vee for 3 years now without any problems except for the clown behind the bars loosing it once. Regular oil & filter changes and so far thats it. Do find the gearing a bit tall for commuting but a will be changing to the sprokets soon and that should improve things. Go for a spin on both stroms and buy the one that you feel most comfy on, you wont look back.

·
Super Moderator
4,605 Posts
If you've ever come out of a sweeping righthander in 2.gear at 5000rpm and deftly clock it for redline....you'd know EXACTLY what a VEE is all about
Which is why I still have the XJR1300 but contemplate selling both the Wee and the XJR to get a Vee.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What about the clutch, its terrible - yeah right

I have a L0 (2010) DL1000 with Staintunes.
I have owned 3 versions of this engine and while there are small issues with the items mentioned I have never felt inclined to have a mechanic look at any of my 'TLs'
While I have not ridden overseas DLs I suspect that you are hearing a similar beatup of minor issues.

PS I am still waiting for the first engine problem due to clutch shudder that I heard about in 2003.

·
Registered
231 Posts
my clutch is just been abused and is in need of a replacement and i'm thinking of one from real shelby in the states and its got 72000 ks on this engine and all good here....glitch is correct 2nd gear stands cannot be done on on wee...

·
Registered
261 Posts
No PROBLEMS!

Just have to say, I purchased my 2006 DL650 new, and have always used 98 octane fuel with NO problems. The bike has just done 70,000kms and feels just like new.

The only problem I ever had with fuel was when I had some 91 mower fuel left over (about 2 lites) and mixed it in with the tank, the bike ran, but had no zing, I then drained it out, added some new 98 octane fuel, and she was back to normal.

Definately go and buy a VStrom! Best bike I have owned for commuting (80kms return up the highway) nearly everyday, even still on the original battery and brakes! All I have done is usual services, tyres, chain etc.

Hope this helps,
Mike
:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Mike, the issues reported elsewhere in the world that this thread refers to is with regard to the Vee, not the Wee [we all know the Wee's have no issues at all :fineprint: ].

Vees are reported to have clutch shudder, TPS problems and other issues, but I think [like many here in Oz] that the Vees actually don't have any major problems.

There have been sporadic problems overseas that may simply have been "over reported" because everyone jumped on the bandwagon when the problems occurred.

The Vee riders here in Oz generally seem to report no issues with their bikes.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Got a vee and wee last year so haven't had them long enough to know how old I will be when they finally die

About a week or so after purchase I did the following on both bikes
*Adjusted the TPS
*Fitted vac hose to the TB's to make TB sync easier
*Set the 2nd flies equally
*Did a TB sync
and they have both been smooth as butter.

I did try adjusting the fueling on the Vee as comments here and there talked about the bike running poorly and this being a fix. I found it better to go back to what mr suzukisan gave me in the end.

Sure the Vee can get a bit chuggy below 2000 rpm if you gas it in a high gear but you get that when you throw 2 half litre paint tins around the place. If you try it on the Wee it does a similar thing only with smaller paint tins

I've read and heard about the clutch chudder/shudder but have not felt it/heard it on my Vee.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts