StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 18,000 miles into my 2014 US tour about to leave Nova Scotia heading for New Jersey. I need to replace both sprockets and chain. I'm wondering if there are any Stromtroopers in the New Jersey area that could give me some assistance, ie tools and a bit of space. Or, failing that, give me a tip for a trusted Suzuki or other dealer in this area. I have the parts, I carry them with me as you never know when you're going to need them, but some stores don't seem to be happy to do the work if you haven't bought the parts off them.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I am in eastern Connecticut 100 miles closer then NJ

doubtful any dealers have what you need in stock though I could check

USA Monday is holiday plus traffic along coast will be frightening and concentrated policing

pm me if you think I can help

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am in eastern Connecticut 100 miles closer then NJ

doubtful any dealers have what you need in stock though I could check

USA Monday is holiday plus traffic along coast will be frightening and concentrated policing

pm me if you think I can help
Yeah, it's American Labor Day, and is a large travel holiday. The northeastern US will be jam packed with travelers as well as police. I would offer up a hand in northeastern PA near the border, but my tools and everything are in western PA.

If you find that you need assistance when you're close to Pittsburgh, just holler and I'll see what I can do.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's amazing how the dealers in America don't seem to carry much stock. I guess it's that on-line sales thing, which is fine if you have a fixed address and a garage full of tools but when you're touring it really makes things tough. I've been trying to chase up a front sprocket across four states and have finally ordered one on-line to be delivered to New Jersey. And as for tyres you would think that the V-Strom was the rarest bike on the planet. For instance, in Whitecourt, Yukon we were quoted $480 for a rear Pilot Road 3. We limped to Calgary instead on a wing and a prayer. Thanks for your replies guys, and you're right - why is it always a long weekend?

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
rizzon's is closed until tues. FYI.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sprocket & chain

Sense you will have your parts already you might check with a local chain auto parts store they might be able to loan you and electric impact gun for the nut on your front sprocket than you might borrow or buy a cheap set of sockets to do the rear sprocket.Also might ask a local tire store to loosen the primary nut with one of their air impacts worth a shot. Cut the chain with hack saw hopefully you have a master link with spring clip. Best of luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree with the above , Rizzon is solid. Owner is Rick, a very good guy.
Phone 1-732-271-1616
good Luck !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decided to stay a few extra days in Upper Maine; too scared to tackle the Labor Day holiday traffic. Rizzon Cycle could work for us. Thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey Tassie, where do you plan on being over the weekend of the 5th? There is a small Triumph event in Taos, New Mexico. Also, a decent size BMW gathering near Taos on the same weekend.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Decided to stay a few extra days in Upper Maine; too scared to tackle the Labor Day holiday traffic. Rizzon Cycle could work for us. Thanks for the tips guys.
Give them a call.. the owner, Rick, is a strom rider too. (New 1000) tell him Chris the v-strom rider sent ya. :) friendly people.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't think I have all the tools but I do have space in my garage if you need it, I'm in Boonton, NJ. PM me if you would like to set something up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We're in the New York area until the 19th. Some family members are coming over. Then going North to Quebec for a few days then doing a big u-turn heading South to Louisiana, Alabama then leaving the States into Mexico by Nov 11th (that's when our US Visa runs out). Ooo...I've made myself giddy thinking about that. I must put a thread in to see if any other Stromers are interested in heading into Mexico for a while. You never know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts