StromTrooper banner

Audiovox Cruise Help Needed

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  abyssdncr 
#1 ·
Need some input with my Audiovox cruise from the masses.

Problem is that it simply won't hold a speed over 65 mph. 45 to 60, no problem at all. 65 will set, but gradually slow to 62ish. If I hold the accel button, it will accel to 75, but then shut down altogether.

I've tried with the Napa 730-1607 installed as well as directly to the criuse unit with the same results.

Checked vacuum at the hose at 20+" Hg.

Looking to do a Saddlesore 1000 & Bun burner 1500 the summer and really would like the cruise to work at freeway speeds.

TIA,
AD

#2 ·
Do you have the vacuum coming off a tee on lines to both throttle bodies or are you just connected to one? If both, chances are there is a vacuum leak or a servo malfunction. Also, make sure there isn't too much slack in the cable.

#3 ·
Both throttle bodies hooked up & healthy. As the servo operates just fine at lower speeds, it's hard to think it's a hardware issue. I guess too much slack is certainly the most plausible explanation, all things considered. How "taught" should the chain be with the throttle closed?

#4 ·
Pulling the cable out of the servo should result in a minimal amount of slack. The cable should not be taut but should not have a lot of slack. To what part of the throttle assembly is the cable affixed?

#6 ·
Roy's article was for a DL650. The best setup on the 1000 is like this.

#7 ·
Roy's article was for a DL650. The best setup on the 1000 is like this.
Tore it all down last night and re-rigged everything per your photo. Must admit it looked like a much better setup. Also adjusted all the freeplay out of the chain. Seemed very solid & I had high hopes, but net impact was smoother operation, but still not holding anything above 65 mph. It will accel to 70 ok, but if I hit the set buttonabove 70 it won't even register that I did anything at all...

Only other things I can think of are that the switch may be on 6k vs. 8k from the last time I was messing around with things and perhaps a different reservoir as this one has a tiny little orifice on one nipple...

#8 ·
It sure sounds like insufficient vacuum or a vacuum leak.

#9 ·
Believe you may have nailed it. Took another look at the reservoir. One of the nipples, the one with the tiny orifice, also has a smaller OD, smaller than the vacuum line provided. To address this I used a zip tie to collapse the tubing a make it snug on the nipple.

To test the theory, I wrapped some electrical tape strips around the nipple to increase the OD and gave it another try. Now it actually engages with some force @ 75mph, but still doesn't hold. Believe that connection is the culprit, so the vacuum cannister from Murphs is in the mail.

Should have it available to test again Thursday. Thanks for the guidance - I'll update with the results then.

Just wish I would have chased it this far two years ago...

#10 ·
Hey abyssdncr

Did you ever get to the bottom of this. My unit has just started to do the same on my 1000. Also it may just be my imagination, but it appears to be worse when the weather is hot, which sorta confirms my suspicion that its a vacuum issue.

Would be very interetsd to hear what you found.

#11 ·
No Joy...

Re-routed my hoses to pull a stronger vacuum from my sync ports, shortened the hoses to the canister and moved it to the front of the under-seat tray.

Replaced my vacuum canister with Murph's to see if maybe that was the issue. It wasn't'. 3 days later and I can still here the hiss of the vacuum releasing when I pull a hose off.

Plenty of vacuum, not leaking, and still won't hold anything higher that 68 mph. It's much stronger when the cruise kicks on, and will accelerate up to 75 mph, but it won't hold anything higher that 67-68...

#12 ·
Still searching for a solution if anyone has any ideas.

Problem is intermittant. Defineatly seems ot worse when the weather is warmer.

Holds set speed for a while but then gradually drops off then wont reset at all.

Have checked all hose connections. Cable slack etc.
Any other ideas appreciated.

#14 ·
If the vacuum is okay, a bad servo is most likely. Checking with a vacuum gauge would be a good idea though.

#17 ·
I had switch 1 off and switch 2 on for setting the pulse per minute (PPM) at 5k, needed to have switch 1 on as well for a PPM setting of 8K and a full dip switch setting of 1-4 on and 5-7 off.

One stinking little switch flip made all the difference in the world for high speed cruise...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.