StromTrooper banner

Audiovox Cruise and Suprabrake

2024 Views 9 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  dbntina
Hey all, did a quick search and didn't find anything so a quick question.

I did alot of upgrades to the bike with Jim and EB fuse box and switches and powerlet plugs and wiring and added a suprabrake from Jim as well and wired the coocase S48 into the fuse box as well.

Anyway, bought the bike with cruise already installed and after installing everything the cruise stopped working.

So I am starting to think I jacked cruise up somehow during all the installs of other items. So went through all cruise directions and Roy's CC Install document and forums on cruise installs. Took the bike apart checked the wiring the vacuum piping everything, can't find anything. I even rewired the cruise to the old fusebox with the old switching wire from the tail that the PO had on the bike and it still wouldn't work.

Although I did notice that with the old switching wire I could turn the cc on and off and with the current tail adaptor with fuse box from EB it stays on all the time when the bike is running but I digress.

So I switched everything back and resolved that I would be without cruise because I just couldn't figure it out. I read through the document and saw where someone said you can't attach any kind of specific brake changing lights into the circuit or the cruise will stop working. There was an explanation but I couldn't totally understand it.

So I took the suprabrake out of the circuit and now the cruise works again.

That's great but I really like the suprabrake I got from Jim, and if I am forced to choose I will take the cruise.

So for all you wiring geniuses out there have you figured out a (hopefully simple) way to get around this issue, I can't be the first?

Thanks in advance,

David
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
The CC gets its ground through the tail light filament so the light going on negates the ground signal and turns off the CC. Those using LED tail lights or brake light enhancements that break that circuit need to install a relay to establish the ground when cruising but cut off the signal when the brakes are applied. Run the purple wire from the CC to the 30 terminal on an SPDT relay instead of the brake light wire and any B/W wire or the negative battery terminal for ground, not the frame. See http://www.vstrom.info/Smf/index.php/topic,4611.0.html

My brake relay is the one with the light blue connector insulators in the foreground.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20%

Greywolf, I wish I had 20% of the brains you have for this motorcycle farkle electrical stuff :jawdrop:

Okay to be honest that went slightly over my head. I don't understand why I need a brake relay but I don't even know what that means completely. I didn't install the CC so I am sure that is making this tougher.

I have the EB PC8 with the switching lead that has connectors that plug right into the bike's rear brake light switch connector. I had put the suprabrake in between so it was in the circuit and I understand that is causing the problem.

So let me get this straight:

1) Put the suprabrake back in the circuit and

2) Run the purple wire from the CC to the 30 terminal on an SPDT relay instead of the brake light wire and any B/W wire or the negative battery terminal for ground

I am lost on #2. Could you please elaborate on #2 in more detail for a brake relay?

A) I see a purple wire going into my cannister on the left side under the fairing. Is this what you are talking about?
B) I don't know where the 30 terminal is or what an SPDT relay is.
C) I don't know where the B/W wire is?
D) Which brake light wire are we talking about.

Thanks in advance,

David

38,702 Posts
So let me get this straight:

1) Put the suprabrake back in the circuit and

2) Run the purple wire from the CC to the 30 terminal on an SPDT relay instead of the brake light wire and any B/W wire or the negative battery terminal for ground

I am lost on #2. Could you please elaborate on #2 in more detail for a brake relay?

A) I see a purple wire going into my cannister on the left side under the fairing. Is this what you are talking about?
B) I don't know where the 30 terminal is or what an SPDT relay is.
C) I don't know where the B/W wire is?
D) Which brake light wire are we talking about.

Thanks in advance,

David
1) If you want it, that's correct. It will work with a relay.
2) There is only one purple wire. Connect it to the brake relay instead of to the bike's wiring harness like it is now.

This is a simplified diagram. Your CC is probably wired a little differently but the purple wire is the only thing you are getting at from the former installation. It's presently connected to a W/B wire. Cut the purple wire near the W/B wire and tape the exposed cut.

A) That's right.

B) Go to an auto parts store and ask for an five terminal SPDT automotive relay. It will have terminals marked 85, 86, 87, 87a and 30. Print this post and bring it with you. Ignore the 51 in the diagram. You don't need one.

Amazon.com: 12 VDC Tyco Relay SPDT 20/30A (Formerly Bosch): Electronics shows one example. You might find it easier to wire if you get a socket rather than spade terminals to fit.

C) There are black wires with white stripes all over the bike. They are all ground wires. The battery negative terminal and the ground side of of the PC8 can also be used for ground. Use whatever is easiest for you. They are all the same electrically.

D) The brake light hot wire is white with a black stripe. When you trace the purple wire to its present connection, it will be to that W/B wire. There is also a W/B wire coming off the rear brake light switch above the rear brake lever.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay

Okay Greywolf I think I got this now:

1) Suprabrake back in the way it was before

2) Connect relay to pos and neg on the battery

3) Cut the purple wire connection to the b/w wire (ground) in the tail. Tape off the b/w wire. Connect that purple wire to the relay at the 30 connector

I have a pipe on the right side under the fairing by the seat which I am guessing is the vacuum, and a cannister thing with wires under the fairing by the seat on the left side.

I am not sure what C1, servo module and box with left fairing represent on the diagram and how that corresponds to my pipe and cannister on the left and right. I see that the purple wire comes out of the servo module and I am trying to determine if that is my cannister under the left fairing pocket side under the seat area so I know where to look for it.

Thanks a bunch if I can find the purple wire and the above assumptions are correct? I think I can do this thanks Greywolf!

David

38,702 Posts
?
The relay is not connected to the positive pole of the battery at all. What are you looking at?

The purple wire from the servo module, what you are calling a canister, gets connected to terminal 30 on the relay instead of the brake light wire which is a white wire with a black stripe(W/B).

The purple wire is not connected to ground (B/W) now but to the brake light wire (W/B). It senses ground by going through the brake light filament. When the brake light goes on, the purple wire is getting +12V instead of the ground through the filament. Put +12V into the purple wire and the CC cuts off.

85 and 87a are connected to ground which is a black wire with a white stripe(B/W), the negative terminal of the battery or the negative buss on the PC8.

87 and 86 are connected to the brake light wire which is the white wire with a black stripe(W/B) to which the purple wire used to be connected.

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay put the relay in and everything is soldered and wired.

The good news is I went out for a test ride and the cruise works and the suprabrake is working great as well.

The weird thing is now the power to my coocase isn't working and that is the simplest thing of all. I haven't changed anything with the wiring from the coocase to the PC8.

I haven't changed anything except putting in this relay and it worked before? I am using Jim's Brake/Tail Adapter wiring and it connects in the rear tail area of the bike through the rear adapter and the other end I connected his wires to the coocase wires and then the red power wire with the inline fuse from the coocase I ran straight to the PC8. So it was getting ground through the Rear adapter that it plugged into in the back of the bike so I am thinking by adding the relay did that change something somehow? The relay is grounded from the terminals 85 and 87A to the battery.

Maybe its my imagination, we had a bad storm and I rode right after the storm cleared and it felt like the hairs on my arms were standing up a little bit when I rode slower and feathered the brake. Also, when I turn the bike on but not start it and I push on the rear brake it is making a clicking sound.

Anyone have any ideas or run a suprabrake and Audiovoxx CC at the same time that might know what is going on.

Thanks for any help,

David

38,702 Posts
If you still have an inline fuse on the Coocase, it's double fused. The inline fuse is redundant. Check the wires to the Coocase to see if the case's hot wire gets power and its ground wire is really grounded. Do you have a multimeter or test light? If not, check ground by temporarily running a wire from the Coocase ground wire to the battery negative. Test the hot side by temporarily running a wire from the Coocase hot wire to the battery positive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.