StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cruise control wasn't working, was installed by the previous owner. I read up and found out it was probably the Kisan lights I had put in. Figured it would be a 2 minute fix to swap out the bulbs. Wrong. Still didn't work. Checked all the wrong things first and stripped my bike half apart.

All said and done it was a good learning experience. Now I know what I would have done - swapped the bulbs, done a test LED on the cruise control servo, realized that the brake signal wasn't going through, checked the brake wire, realized that the purple wire from the servo wasn't connected to the brake wire.

Took me all morning and numerous test rides to figure it out! The tail-light assembly is a hassle to get into, must have pulled the purple wire out of a crimp when I was installing some Hyperlites (which work fine with the cruise control). Never noticed it was out because I've just been riding in the city, gearing up for a trip next month and realized the cruise wasn't engaging.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Lots of things that get added to the brake lights can cause a problem getting the ground connection to the purple wire. The best bet is to install a relay. Use a B/W wire, battery negative post or grounding bar for ground, not the frame.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was reading and looking into the relay, was even about to head to radio shack... just not sure what's what when it comes to the electric. I put in some Denali lights and Hyperlites, so I can follow instructions fairly well. But when it comes to the mess of wires on the bike I'm a little confused.

I imagine the relay would go somewhere behind the wiring harness to the taillight assembly? I can't quite wrap my head around what goes in and what goes out..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, right now I have the purple wire connected to a W/B brake wire. The relay would just go in between with an added ground wire?

If that's the case it seems like it would be fairly simple...

87 & 86, is one coming in and the other going out to the brake light?

·
38,103 Posts
86 and 87 are both connected to the white/black brake light hot so it's easier to connect them at the relay. It's just a non directional connection, neither in nor out. My brake light relay is between the battery and the fuse box and has two light blue connection insulators visible. There is a convenient W/B brake light wire in the connector under the light blue wire to the LED compatible flasher in the lower left of the pic. Using LED tail, brake and blinker lights required a new flasher and cruise control relay.

·
Registered
199 Posts
And if you decide to use a relay, here's an easy way to incorporate a cruise control cancel switch:

Ignore the brake light wire color noted here. That was for a previous bike.

Ron :mrgreen:

·
38,103 Posts
I'm going to set up a DPDT relay to cancel the CC when the brake is applied and to cut out my heated gear as long as the brake is on. When the wind chill is not a factor, I get too warm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts