StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've got it installed. When I hit set the led lights up. When I hit resume the led lights up. When I hit the brake the led lights up. The chain doesn't bind. The vacuum is strong.

It does not work! I can reach down and pull on the cable while riding and it move freely and speeds me up.

The only thing I can think of is the brake relay I installed. The brake connection was showing 12v when depressed and .07v when it was not depressed. Because of that I put a relay in line to get that voltage down to 0. I suppose I could have installed it wrong.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom? Also if anyone knows a better relay then a $9 NAPA part I'll order that instead. Please help, I'd like to get the bike buttoned back up by next weekend. :cool:

Thanks,
-GW

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Good question. The unit seeks ground through the brake light filaments. An LED brake light doesn't provide a ground connection. That's what the brake relay is for. See the diagram at http://11109.rapidforum.com/topic=109771864108 for wiring suggestions.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great point, I do have LED taillights. I still have the stockers, I'll try swapping them.

-GW

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sho nuff!

I put the regular bulbs back and she worked.

I noticed it surged quite a bit at 40-45mph. Is that normal or do I have something still slightly out of wack?

-GW

·
38,048 Posts
That's the very bottom range it works at. Mine doesn't have a problem there but it is the bleeding edge. You can use the LED brake lights if you add a relay as shown in my last link.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the very bottom range it works at. Mine doesn't have a problem there but it is the bleeding edge. You can use the LED brake lights if you add a relay as shown in my last link.
I don't suppose you have a part number or model for that relay? As I said the best NAPA could do for me was a three prong job that obviously didn't work.

-GW

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't suppose you have a part number or model for that relay? As I said the best NAPA could do for me was a three prong job that obviously didn't work.

-GW
Now you got the bugs worked out, come on down and do mine!

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
GrayWolf: How long did it take you to install?

I'm in the midst of debating between the Audiovox and the Rostra (electronic, no vacuum) systems.

If both of you want to ride out here and help me install whichever system I go with, I'll buy us a case of beer to make the job go smoothly.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It went pretty quick up until I started testing it and had the problems. Probably 3 hours or so. I did a lot of tinkering to find the problem before I posted here, probably wasted another four or five hours. :bom_veryangry:

-GW

·
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
WOW... perfect timing on this post.

My CC100 has been trouble free for a long time. But this season it didn't work. I thought i ruined the switch by getting water in it. I missed it bad and just bought another CC100 kit, replaced the switch, nothing, replaced everything.. nothing :bom_furious3: I've been racking my brain to figure it out. :confused:

Now that i see this.... i installed LED brake/taillights over the winter. I bet thats it! :D:cool: I would have never figured that out!!

Can't wait to have that cruise back!!

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Put my stock tailight bulbs back in last night and it works again!! :cool::D

·
38,048 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
It went pretty quick up until I started testing it and had the problems. Probably 3 hours or so. I did a lot of tinkering to find the problem before I posted here, probably wasted another four or five hours. :bom_veryangry:

-GW
That's reassuring. I was thinking by the job description a few hours would do (+1 hour for every beverage consumed in the process).
I've read up to two days required, but that seemed a bit extreme. I don't have any LEDs on the bike, so that's one problem eliminated before I begin.

Still humming and hawing over which route to go. I have a couple months yet before I need to install for an Iron Butt ride. That's not cheating, is it?

·
38,048 Posts
If GrayWolf was able to use the bracket I sent him for the button unit, the time to make it would have to be added to the total job for somebody who had to make their own.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts