StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any Audible sign/noise that might lead you to suspect you need to do your valve adjustment check earlier then at your next regular check interval? Any other noticeable sign ('feel'?) which could influence you doing this?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Valve noise

A valve laying on the pavement might indicate it's too late :mrgreen:
My trusted mechanic told me Stroms normally don't really need the first adjustment untill around 40000kms if the bike is not abused and repeatedly redlined, as adjustment any earlier is well within spec. A second adjustment around 80000kms will normally last untill the bike needs a top end overhall somewhere north of 200000kms. Abused or hard ridden bikes should never exceed that specified in the handbook.
As for noises, I would be on the lookout for any unusual increase in the normal sound levels. Far better to play safe.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A valve laying on the pavement might indicate it's too late :mrgreen:
My trusted mechanic told me Stroms normally don't really need the first adjustment untill around 40000kms if the bike is not abused and repeatedly redlined, as adjustment any earlier is well within spec. A second adjustment around 80000kms will normally last untill the bike needs a top end overhall somewhere north of 200000kms. Abused or hard ridden bikes should never exceed that specified in the handbook.
As for noises, I would be on the lookout for any unusual increase in the normal sound levels. Far better to play safe.
Well, I did my first valve check at 25,000kms last year and all the intake valves needed to have the shims changed/moved around - all were out of spec. This is on my Vee, not sure if what you quoted above is Wee related and it seems to be the norm for many Vee owners.

I'm approaching 50,000kms, probably in the next couple of months, so will have to do it again anyway. Just wondering if I should do it sooner since the engine seems noisier then normal.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'm no mechanic. However I do recall reading that lack of noise is of more concern than more noise when it comes to valves. I recall that the reason is that the noise occurs when there is a lot of "slack" in the system, whereas everything goes quiet when it is all too tight which may lead to the valves becoming "mushroomed".

I am happy to be told I am wrong by someone more knowledgeable as this is an issue that i am also interested in.

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
shim under bucket type valves tend to tighten and never loosen, inspect at recommended intervals, adjust when necessary

older style screw & locknut type valves can loosen or tighten, if their noisy, good chance they are too loose

fwiw, I would NEVER trust a mechanic that told me a bike doesn't need valves checked until 40k just cause that when they normally need first adjustment, they need first adjustment at 15k as often enuf the there is no "normal" for needing adjustment

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
22,312 Posts
too tight which may lead to the valves becoming "mushroomed".
too tight leads to valve becoming burnt, at the seats and the stems, weakening the valve, potentially breaking and going thru the top of a piston

if valves are truely too tight, most likely they are already burnt

if a valve doesn't close all the way when the engine is fully warm and metal has expanded, it lets hot gasses seep thru the seat, butning it almost immediately, and the fix is not just adjusting the valve, it meas a real valve job, new valves, machineing the seats in the head, not cheap

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
shim under bucket type valves tend to tighten and never loosen, inspect at recommended intervals, adjust when necessary

older style screw & locknut type valves can loosen or tighten, if their noisy, good chance they are too loose

fwiw, I would NEVER trust a mechanic that told me a bike doesn't need valves checked until 40k just cause that when they normally need first adjustment, they need first adjustment at 15k as often enuf the there is no "normal" for needing adjustment
Ok, I'll ride her till closer to the 50,000km mark and do it then. More then likely the sound I'm hearing is exhaust leak related I think. Sounding more like a sport bike with no baffle then my normal sound right now.

Thanks Randyo

·
Registered
587 Posts
I did my first valve check at 25k miles, mind you I bought it with 24k
the previous owner told me all the maintenance was up to date.:green_lol:

I soon discovered that nothing has been done except change the oil

my rear cylinder was all with in spec

my front cylinder need every shim adjusted, the intakes were tight against the bucket :jawdrop:

the exhaust were both 0.15mm, I replaced the 295 with 280 (0.30mm max) now I have a slight tick that's only noticeable at idle

·
Registered
1,462 Posts

The Old Timers say if you can not hear them their not working(screw type)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts