StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rolled the wee out of the shed today to change the oil and had the most bizzare oil changing experience of my life.

I removed the seat to get something and noticed mouse crap on the tool kit. I looked everywhere for the damned mouse, but it was nowhere in sight. I then put the seat back on and started the bike to warm up the oil. I proceeded to change the oil and filter and then ran the enigine again to verify the oil level. At this point I removed the seat again to get something only to find that damned mouse looking right at me! Well, he immediately took off and proceeded to take the complete tour of the inner-workings of my wee. Have you ever tried to catch a mouse once he gets inside the bodywork of a strom? Eventually he found the engine a little too hot and decided to rest on the oil cooler. There he was with his little rodent tail hanging down tempting me to grab it. And grab for it I did, but the little critter was too quick. After a few more minutes of bouching from one hot engine part to the next he finally made a run for it. Luckily it looks like he didn't get a chance to do any real damage to the wee. He did, however, snack on some cotton rags and the case for my sunglasses before I discovered him. In the end, he didn't get far. I suspect he was slowed down by the ordeal of the hot engine and catching him was pretty easy. He has eaten his last meal, but at least he had the good taste to do it on a V-Strom.

SS

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
68 Posts
.......In the end, he didn't get far. I suspect he was slowed down by the ordeal of the hot engine and catching him was pretty easy. He has eaten his last meal, but at least he had the good taste to do it on a V-Strom.

SS
Stuff a couple of Bounce (clothes dryer sheets) under the seat and that will probably discourage his kid from taken revenge on you. I've heard the sheets work very well for repelling insects also.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Mice can do a lot of damage!!. They have gotten into my travel trailer more then once, even with drier sheets and moth balls.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I dunno - in my experience there is no such thing as one mouse. Those little buggers travel in pairs. Keep and eye out buddy.:twisted:

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Reminds me of a book I read when I was a kid...'The Mouse and the Motorcycle'. Had me daydreaming of riding at a young age. Anyone else read that as a kid?

Good thing this mouse didnt decide to pop up on your tank while you were tooling through the neighborhood. Could have made things interesting! :D

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking the same thing. Just imagine the excitement of having a damned mouse climb up your leg at 70mph!

SS

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stuff a couple of Bounce (clothes dryer sheets) under the seat and that will probably discourage his kid from taken revenge on you. I've heard the sheets work very well for repelling insects also.
If they don't work, at least the critters will smell nice and have no static cling :)

SS

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have him stuffed and mount him to the handlebars to serve as a warning to others. A stuffed dead mouse on the handlebars should also serve as a rudimentary antitheft system. :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Reminds me of a book I read when I was a kid...'The Mouse and the Motorcycle'. Had me daydreaming of riding at a young age. Anyone else read that as a kid?

Good thing this mouse didnt decide to pop up on your tank while you were tooling through the neighborhood. Could have made things interesting! :D
I read that book too...by Bev Clearly. He was so screwed when it and he went into the trashcan!!

Seriously though, mice will do havoc to your wiring so get some poison and put it all around your bike. The poison will make them deathly thirsty then they will leave to look for water...they'll die even if they find it though.
Remember, they have friends and kids and relatives!!

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, you may want to check your air filter. Mice love 'em.
Good advice! I checked it today and it was ok. Since the bike is only 3 months old I've never checked it before so this business of having to remove the fuel tank was new to me. The whole process was very easy, even with the tank full :)

SS

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have him stuffed and mount him to the handlebars to serve as a warning to others. A stuffed dead mouse on the handlebars should also serve as a rudimentary antitheft system. :)
Can you stuff a mouse? I know you can stuff a kitty :D

SS

·
Registered
9 Posts
You, my friend, need a native hungry snake.

We have a black racer (type of snake) that has lived around here over the years. Went without seeing him for almost a year and started having rodent problems (big ugly rats). I was baiting and traping and even shooting, but all I was doing was decreasing the number - never getting rid of them all. When he started showing his scaly self around, the problem instantly went away.

I say native, b/c the imports can cause havic on the ecosystem. They've had huge problems in florida with snakes making there own place near the top of the foodchain after people let them go.

Good luck w/ your mices.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Roaches and Redback spiders here. (Poor cousin of the black widow)

Trust me, it's worse when the damn things appear on the move :)

Pete

·
Registered
704 Posts
Mice are unbelievably hard to get rid of sometimes.
I always chuckle about the 65 Buick Sylark my dad brought home to restore. When we were cleaning out the frame, we found a mouse / rat's nest. It was made out of the wrapper for rat poison! How ironic :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mice are unbelievably hard to get rid of sometimes.
I always chuckle about the 65 Buick Sylark my dad brought home to restore. When we were cleaning out the frame, we found a mouse / rat's nest. It was made out of the wrapper for rat poison! How ironic :mrgreen:
Now that's funny:D

SS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts