StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine, who's an HD expert. No, he really is. Tells me that you should never hook any extra wires, ie accessory wires, directly to the battery post. He says they should be attached where the battery grounds and where the pos. lead attaches to the starter. He then went on to explain how the lug / wire pulls down the voltage when starting and then running. Can any of you 12v wiring experts, shed a little light on this for me. It kind of makes sense to this wiring dummy, but does it really make that much or any difference??
I should add he's a huge HD racing nut and has built some record holding engines and bikes. He's like a heart surgeon for HD's. I want things done right and as perfect as man can make them but he makes me crazy at times.

·
Registered
22,426 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
That's ridiculous. If the new wires are attached above the main wires, there is zero difference. If they are attached between the main wires and the lugs, the difference is immeasurable. If attached at the other end of the main wires, the difference may be measurable, but not by any level of importance as long as all connections are clean and tight. Even if things are loose and corroded, as long as the main wire is in contact with the battery post, the number of wires on the other side will make no difference. The problem with direct battery connections is they are always live, but that is also true on the other ends of the wires.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,613 Posts
I didn't have time to look for the BS flag for this one! Since the HD "experts" recommendation is to attach to the batterys frame grounding point and to the starter positive terminal it is in effect hooked directly to the battery posts. The problem is that you are adding extra connection points to a system that is prone to problems with connections anyway! Think of corroded posts/connectors. The extra length of wiring to these remote points adds weight and resistance. Wire directly to the terminal with adequate connectors and fuses and .....ask your Harley guy what kind of oil he recommends.

·
Registered
22,426 Posts
I like to keep direct to the battery leads to a minimum, I still have the 4 extra wires going to each terminal

mosfet RR
coaxial pigtail for heated gear
sae pigtail battery tender/adaptor to 12v/ adapter to second coaxial heated gear
aux fuse & ground block

been thinking of adding relays & direct wiring for the headlights too

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
If the connections are made correctly you can add as many as you wish. Taking a 'main aux line' to a buss strip works well to. All depends on knowing what you is doing.
You can keep your Hardley boy knowledge. After all, he do have a hardley.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
If a bike's engine is its heart, then the electrics are the nervous system. Your friend may be a heart surgeon, but he's definitely not a neurosurgeon.
If you're attaching more than one or two accessories (or need their power to be switched instead of always on), a fuse block of some type is the way to go. Eastern Beaver (owner Jim Davis is a stromtrooper) offers a couple of high quality, easy to install solutions: Suzuki VStrom Electrics

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Tells me that you should never hook any extra wires, ie accessory wires, directly to the battery post. He says they should be attached where the battery grounds and where the pos. lead attaches to the starter. He then went on to explain how the lug / wire pulls down the voltage when starting and then running.
Yep, nonsense².

Buy longer bolts for the battery terminals and connect as many wires as you'd like.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just what I thought you would say.

Thanks for your input. = You guys said just what I thought you would and it all makes perfect sense to me.
I was telling to him about adding a EB H4 headlight relay deal to my V-Strom and how I had 3 open lugs on my EB fuse block and was going to tap into one of them. That's when the 12v electrical lesson began. I just kept sayin', "okay, yep I see what you're talking about, got it." Then I changed the subject.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
General rule, less connections the better. This mostly applies to main power circuits due to higher current draw. Control circuits are a different matter.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I run positive to fuse block distributor and all negative hooked up to negative lug on battery. I have a mess under the seat... When bolt could not hold so many wires, I just crimped extra to existing wires. Plus, I have Tender Charger wires hooked up directly to battery and Heated gear wires as well... and I've had all that way hooked up for $46K miles... Knock on my head, never had electrical problems nor a flat tire...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts