StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone simply drilled through the lower front faring and mounted aux lights? If I use a bracket on both sides of the faring will that keep it from breaking?

I think I could run a 2.5", 3-hole, bracket on either side and essentially rivet them together to reinforce the faring, using the center hole to mount the lights...

Thoughts? ...the attached pic isn't the bracket I'd use but it'll give you an idea what I'm thinking. It seems really sturdy. Far more-so than the sides where the turn signals mount, in fact. There's a guy who's hanging his lights from the signal rubber... If he can do THAT, this has got to work!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Just get the driving light mount from Adventuretech (member here). That'll put your lights in the same place, but is sturdy and uses existing mounting holes under the front of the fairing.

Reactions: S391

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
There isn't a lot of clearance between the underside of the front tupperware (see pix in #1) and the front mud guard / fender when the fork is under full compression (aka hard braking, bumps, pot holes, etc). You can see for yourself when the steering is turned from lock to lock and the forks are compressed. Worse still if the fork tube have been raised slightly in the yokes / triple tree. From a safety issue, you don't want your aux lights to bind the steering in any manner when out riding. The light bar reference in #2 or relocation of the aux lights in #3 is good advice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. I love the Adventuretech stuff, and I really like supporting a member with my business (did a shock rebuild and fork upgrade with Sasquatch this summer and I'm SO glad I did!). I'm just at the end of quite a few expensive upgrades bringing me to the edge of my budget. The light bar you're talking about is totally affordable, but after about 15 "affordable" things I'm looking at the account going 😳😳

Thanks for the input about where the tupperware ends up at full compression. I forgot what an impact braking and trails can have on the bike. I'm gonna put a zip tie on the fork and go do some drills and emergency stops and see how much clearance I actually have.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Several years ago I mounted my leds on the fairing to do double duty diverting the wind. View attachment 278767 View attachment 278768
Did your wind noise or buffeting go up significantly, or has it helped? How is this for long rides? I have a California Scientific windshield which is nice but there's still improvements to be had, especially with winter coming (I'll be commuting 100-200 miles a day all through it)

·
Registered
254 Posts
There is wind that comes shooting from down low on the fairing that would shake my helmet. I could feel it with my gloves hand when riding. Putting the lights there really helped in combination with the mirror extenders and Givi windshield.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
chiro,
just bite the bullet and get adventure tech's aux light mounting kit.
no need to reinvent the wheel.
and drilling into the tuppaware will/might crack/tear.

Reactions: S391

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
An easy test, cut down a couple of styrofoam cups to roughly the size of the aux lights that you will be using. Take into account the bracket size. Mount these mock aux lights in the position where you would choose to mount your aux lights, using fairing push clips or a fastener of your choice. Now do your emergency braking and any other fork compression testing in relative saftey. The styrofoam will crush / break, if there is any hitch / stearing binding under fork compression.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts