StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a fenda extenda for the strom and the guy at Adventure motostuff said he used clear silicone seal to attach his extender instead of using the screws. Do you think the seal will hold the extender on good enough when cruising 75-85 mph? I like the idea of not using the screws thinking they can be an eye sore on the fender.

·
Administrator
13,571 Posts
I ordered a fenda extenda for the strom and the guy at Adventure motostuff said he used clear silicone seal to attach his extender instead of using the screws. Do you think the seal will hold the extender on good enough when cruising 75-85 mph? I like the idea of not using the screws thinking they can be an eye sore on the fender.
I used an expoxy (I think) and it has held fine for 80,000 kms plus.

Just make sure you run a bead of something across it as mine leaks down a bit in muddy conditions.

..Tom

·
Registered
362 Posts
I used CRC RTV Silicone Adhesive & Sealant and all was fine until I did the Alpine Loop. Arrived home without the Fenda-Extenda. I cleaned the two surfaces with alcohol, but a little Scotch Bright to ruff up the surfaces would have helped. In all fairness I made the Wee do some things that it probably wasn't suppose to be doing. I pop riveted the new Fenda-Extenda, so next time I'll probably be replacing the fender too.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I used heavy duty double sided foam tape, covered the entire mating area and ran silicone seal around the border to stop dirty water from getting between the two parts. ABS cleaner and cement is probably to strongest for gluing. Silicone seal may work if you use ABS cleaner first to remove the mold release agent. Sand the inside of the fender as it may be painted. The outside definitely is as I discovered after my installation.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I made my own fenda extenda out of stock aluminum sheet and "attached" it with Shoe Goo. It has endured many gravel hits and 80+ mph speeds for 2 years.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Gorilla glue is great stuff. It expands to fill gaps and will foam out the sides of the work if overused though.

·
Registered
780 Posts

I wouldn't use silicone sealant.....it's for sealing and not recommended as an adhesive and eventually will separate, especially if not put together with mechanical fasteners.

Use ABS Black Plumbing Cement which is made to glue ABS plastic black plumbing pipe together and is available at most hardware stores.

The Strom's front fender and the Fenda Extenda are made from this type of plastic....also you must use an approved cleaner and you will have a permanent bond between the two pieces.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
The RTV silicone rubber products are made with different adhesive strengths. Some is really weak and some is very strong. The right product properly applied might work well. The weak stuff can't work for long.

(RTV = room temperature vulcanizing)

·
Registered
503 Posts
I did similar to greywolf, 3M trim tape on about half the surface of the fenda extenda and then household silicone glue. It's been on for over three years, dirt roads to expressways.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Get a tube of 3M 5200 Marine Adhesive Sealant. They build yachts and aircraft out of that stuff. My sister sells these products for a living and says it is the best holding sealer/adhesive she's ever seen, by far.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Plastic weld 2-part epoxy. It's never coming off.
As with any adhesive, it's key to thoroughly clean the mating surfaces with alcohol or some kind of mild solvent. Then rough them up a bit to give the adhesive more surface area to grab onto.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I went against the grain here. I bolted mine on with 4 phillips head machine screws, flat washers, lock washers, nuts, and thread locker. The screws could be painted black of it bothers you that much, but there is security in knowing it ain't coming off. These are not flashy, blingy bikes anyway. I wouldn't trust using the screws that come with it....I can just see one in my rear tire some day.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went ahead and screwed on the extender. The hardest part was making sure the holes drilled were in the same spots. Doesn't look bad at all. I would like to paint them black though. Appreciate everybody's suggestions!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Permatex 5 minute 2 part plastic epoxy. I used Silicone it didn't hold. I rough up both the extenda/inside of the fender. My front wheel was off. I clamped them together for few hours(it was dinner time/friends). It's solid.

Les

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Screwed and glued and it's been fine for a whole season. It keeps the oil cooler noticeably cleaner.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Scuff the mating areas of inside of the fender and the extender well - I used 100 grit sandpaper. Then apply a full coating of Shoe Goo. Put extender in place, cram a bunch of rags up between the tire and fender / extender to wedge tightly in place, and let it cure. I think the instructions on the tube say 72 hours for max strength - I couldn't ride for a few days anyhow.
It's on there!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts