StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
StromTrooper.com Founder
11,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so here is my latest crazy idea.
I will be leaving Atlanta tomorrow morning, and I am not sure where I am going yet.

While riding to Savannah today, I was thinking "hey, I should ride to Key West". I did it about 10 years ago and had a blast.

So, here is where I could use your advice. It's spring break, so I know that i will get screwed on lodging even if I can find it. No biggie on that one. What would be your advice on the ideal run (speed wise) to key West from Atlanta.
My goal would be to get there, take my photo by the marker, then take it easy getting back to Indiana.

if you have any suggestions, please post them. I will be checking the thread after the game.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Key west

I think you will need to take the super slabs instead of the back roads. I 75 south to 10 east to 95 south and haul butt south to key west. I'm not sure yet if it would be faster to get off 75 head south east on back roads then hit 95 south but I'll check. Mystrom

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Key West

I looked again and found it would be better to take I 75 South to the Florida Turn Pike South East then hit 95 south staight down to the Keys (Be safe 95 is a Zoo!) Mystrom

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I'd take my chances with Ft Myers and Naples on I-75 over the greater Mee Yom Mee area. But you never know with this being the last weekend of the snow birds.

Brendan, if you need a shower or stay over in Tampa, let me know.

I hope the Buckeyes win too :))

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview,FL

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
A more efficient route?

I think Florida's Turnpike, a toll road, would be superior to I-10, for the transfer from I-75 (west coast of FL) to I-95 (east coast of FL).

If your dash to Key West is done on the Atlantic Coast, perhaps you will want to explore Florida's Gulf Coast on your more leisurely northward journey.

Please stay a night with us. I will put my phone number in a PM. My wife and I live near Exit 210 on I-75. This exit was originally numbered 39.

I waved to a lot of cows on Friday, because you were not along. I didn't see any of them waving back, but one mooed.

Cow joke:

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Rude interrupting cow.

Rude inter ...

MOO!

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Brendan; either direction, down to the Keys or back from them, you have a place to stay here in New Smyrna Beach. Just let me know and we can work out the details. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I am so impressed with the forum and the people who offer a cross country support group if need or just a place to stay and friendship that may last a lifetime. Beyond cool. I have had some of the best times of my life in Key West and am extraordinarily jealous that you are going. It sparks a definite goal for me. Have a great trip. J.R

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hey, we are in Jax, need bed, shower, chow, I'm up all night, usually. Located south part of Jax, easy off, easy on freeway.
Big gated area, safe compound, for bike & such. Must like dogs.
Wolfgang & Carol

·
Registered
27 Posts
DO NOT take I-95 through Miami, it ends there and turns into US-1 which is full of traffic, lights, and 3rd world drivers. Can't say much about 75 to 41 as I have not been on it in quite some time. My choice would be either 75 to the turnpike to its end in Homestead then US1 down. Or 95 to exit 86 (Jupiter/Indiantown) to the turnpike and down. Just past Homestead you have a choice of US1 or the Card sound road, we usually take one way going the other returning. Just before the $1.00 toll booth on the Card Sound road, on the right (south) is Alabama Jacks, good place for lunch. Don't forget Mallory Square at sunset, not as good as it use to be but still a lot of fun.
Keep Florida green, spend money!

·
StromTrooper.com Founder
11,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Keep us informed. You have many, many friends here in Florida. How long of a time are you taking to do this trip?

·
StromTrooper.com Founder
11,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it is 1:35 a.m. and I am in Miami. Somewhere near downtown in a crappy hotel by a large hospital complex.

real quick, here is how the day went.
Left Atlanta around 10:00 a.m. rode exactly 700 miles, 10+ hours seat time about 5 stopped. Traffic was an issue very late tonight due to 6 lanes reduced to one three times. That sucked. can you lane split on an MC here? I noticed several bikes doing it, but iwth my sidecases it may be too wide. :)

About 40 miles south of Macon, I stopped for gas, etc. I checked my phones and was informed that a friend of mine (in Terre Haute, IN) just arrived at the hospital in (forget the name of the town right now) because his family was involved in a horrific accident on 75 while coming back home from spring break. I stopped by the hospital to visit him (several were seriously injured, all lived) and that added about 1.5 hours of stop time, but well worth it. of course he was suprised to see me.

here is the main reason my day went long. I have a hole in my rear tire. I plugged it three different times today, and aired it up around 10 times. I stopped by Interstate cycle (or something like that) again, i forget where I was. They had good intentions on helping me out, but they have no clue what a v-strom is and of course, no tire.

So my goal in the a.m. is to find a dealership between Miami and Key west and get a new tire installed.

If any Florida Troopers know where I should go, pleasee call my cell 812-236-3048 and let me know. If i don't answer, leave a message because i am probably on the bike.

My plans for tomorrow are to ride to Key west, soak in the sites, take my pciture by the marker, and find a hotel. I watn to stay there and watch the sunset. If anyone has a suggestion on where to stay (reasonable $$$ wise of course) again, please call. I am not sure when I will be able to check this thread.

life is good, time to sleep.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Guys, I spoke to Brendan at 9 AM and gave him the phone numbers of 3 dealers in Miami south. Hopefully one of them has a tire. Of all the towns in the state in which to pull this off, that would not be my first choice.

Should be a good story.

Carry on Brendan!

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
StromTrooper.com Founder
11,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Adventure Continues!!!
Many thanks Rod K! I cannot get over how incredible all of you are.
Motorsports of Miami had a tire (albiet street tread Michelin, who I am still protesting due to the F1 fiasco), and they are installing it as we speak.

I spent about 1.5 hours in downtownish Miami (area below 95) trying to get the tire situmation resolved. All I can say is freakin' scary. I swear to god these people are aiming for me.

I should be in Key West by 4ish. My plans now are to find a hotel, grab dinner and watch the sunset. As far as tomorrow goes, hard to tell. I do not want to hang out in the stop and go traffic thats for sure. With ATTGATT it is miserable on the slab when stopped. A far cry from Indiana weather right now.

Off to slam down another Ginger Ale!
I will update more with a few photos later.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Branden,

I'm glad you got the tire deal sorted out. I hope the rest of your trip South and North is less stressful.

We are in Gainesville (exit 384 on I-75). If you are looking for a place to stay on your way back you are most welcome. Hot shower, cold beer, dinner and comfortable bed provided.

We even promise not to talke about Monday night unless you bring it up first :)

ph: 352-514-2643

Winnie and Rick

·
StromTrooper.com Founder
11,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
it's 11:30 p.m. right now, and I am sitting outside, sweating my ass off. Who would have thought it would be this hot when it is 28 right now home.
I shot some great images today. Oh, I am in Key West at the El rancho motel. Nice place. more info later, trying to conserve the laptop battery.

There are some hot women here. wait, I think they are men dressed up as women. :)

Strange place but what the heck, I am not one to judge.

I think I am going to get up early and be in haul ass home mode. the traffic here is terrible, and I do not want to spend any time in hot traffic jams. My goal will be to get at least past Atlanta

Photos and more coming........

ps. Winnie. I cannot get that damn Florida "Go Gators" cheer out of my head. :)

·
Administrator
17,024 Posts
it's 11:30 p.m. right now, and I am sitting outside, sweating my ass off. Who would have thought it would be this hot when it is 28 right now home.
I shot some great images today. Oh, I am in Key West at the El rancho motel. Nice place. more info later, trying to conserve the laptop battery.

There are some hot women here. wait, I think they are men dressed up as women. :)

Strange place but what the heck, I am not one to judge.

I think I am going to get up early and be in haul ass home mode. the traffic here is terrible, and I do not want to spend any time in hot traffic jams. My goal will be to get at least past Atlanta

Photos and more coming........

ps. Winnie. I cannot get that damn Florida "Go Gators" cheer out of my head. :)
I have been thinking about you, glad that you are safe! You are ALWAYS good for a great story or 2, or 3!;) Yup the weather is crap, especially since it was 78 yesterday.:confused: Please be safe and look out for the other guy or "gal".....there are asshats in cages, and they are out to get us.

If I were with you, I would be riding in full BUCKEYE gear. I'm sure that would go over REALLY well.

Talk atcha later,

Brian

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
Delighted!

Dear Brendan,

We are delighted that you made it safely to Key West. Congratulations on having the resourcefulness to get a sorta satisfactory tire.

If you don't need to be back in the cold very soon, why not take a leisurely ride northward? I-75 offers much lighter crosswinds than I-95, and perhaps the jerks are a tad less frequent on the West Coast.

If you find that a nap and a shower would refresh you, get off the slab at Exit 210 and give us a call.

Happy landings!
Keith

P.S. Free laundry facilities while U nap.

·
StromTrooper.com Founder
11,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's 1:09 a.m. and I am in somewhere northern GA off of 75, and I am freakin' beat. Here is today's ride in a nutshell.

I left this point in Key West at 9:00 a.m. It was around 80 degress.

13 hours in the saddle. 900 miles logged. 2.4 hours off the bike the entire trip. The hardest 900 miles I have ever ridden. The first three were spent from Key West to Miami. do the math, I was rocking! It is freezing out here right now, and I just couldn't squeeze in another 100 miles. It would have been to dangerous.

This is what I look like right now. :)

I am going to bed.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts