StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Florida brothers and sisters. I'm planning to take a 10 day ride from ATL to Key west. I want to make it down to the St. Augustine area on the first day. Then stroll down the coast to South Beach and spend a half day or so on A1A. Then on to Key West for a day or two. Then head home up the gulf coast on the way home. I'm traveling with my wife and the typical tiny strom luggage. We want to stop and see things on the way but want to be in relaxed attire (flip flops and shorts or our riding gear). I need some advice, where would you stop? What would you have to eat, see or stay on a similar trip. Also I'm going 18th through 26th of July. Is this a good or bad time for any reason? Do I need to make reservations or is this the off season? Should I be worried about the rain or is the afternoon storms easy to dodge?

I would greatly appreciate any tips or advice. I know very little about the Florida Atlantic coast and the Keys. I have been to South Beach on business so i'm familiar with the tourist areas there but I'm trying to find a hotel room with some type of safe parking for the bike. Also I'm worried about flying blind into the keys and getting raped for a hotel room.

Thanks!!!

I will post my adventure when we return.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Howdy. One place in the Keys that is kind of funky is the No Name Bar.

http://www.nonamepub.com/menu.html I also find that if you ride through the Key Deer Preserve area in the early morning you can get a glimpse of the little guys.

There's a significant amount of radar enforcement in the keys. Needless to say, it's going to be a little warm down here. :D

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you happen to be in the Ft. Meyers area headed north make a left and visit Sanibel Island. It's one of my favorite places on the west coast. After Ft Meyers you might be better off taking US17 or US27 north instead of US41, it is basically nothing but traffic lights for a long time.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
I got to work for a month on Key Largo many years ago. Highpoints of my stay included:

1) Conch fritters (I think I was introduced to them at a place called Steamboat Annie's)

2) Seeing the original African Queen http://keylargoprincess.com/queen.htm

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just as you're getting to the edge of town in Homestead on US 1 hang a left and head down Cardsound Rd, it's a lot nicer ride down to Key Largo on Cardsound. Just a little ways down the road is Alabama Jacks, great place to stop for a beer.

In Key Largo the Fish House, Sundowners, and Coconut's Restaurant are great places to eat.

In Islamorada both Hog Heaven and Lorelei are great place to eat. Lorelei's is right on the water.

In Key West we usually stay at the Blue Lagoon Motel. Good prices but the last time the rooms weren't the greatest. They're biker friendly and you can pull up right in front of all their rooms. Check out Hog's Breath and Captain Tony's in Key West for some beers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts