StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there I was backing the bike out of the garage on level ground, and before I knew what was happening the vee-strom was performing a excellent judo throw which ended up with me going over the bike and landing on my face on the ground.

Damage was cuts and bruises to my face, a very bruised hand and a destroyed front indicator. Had all the gear on except my helmet and gloves :-(

So for me, perhaps ATGATT means before I even touch the bike.

stay safe

Wayne

PS have been riding bikes for 35 years and this is the first time I have dropped one getting out of the garage, but they have all been trail bikes (e.g. DRZ 400, and all much lighter than vee-strom). Also have made 550 skydives without so much as a twisted ankle.

·
Registered
237 Posts
So there I was backing the bike out of the garage on level ground, and before I knew what was happening the vee-strom was performing a excellent judo throw which ended up with me going over the bike and landing on my face on the ground.

Damage was cuts and bruises to my face, a very bruised hand and a destroyed front indicator. Had all the gear on except my helmet and gloves :-(

So for me, perhaps ATGATT means before I even touch the bike.

stay safe

Wayne

PS have been riding bikes for 35 years and this is the first time I have dropped one getting out of the garage, but they have all been trail bikes (e.g. DRZ 400, and all much lighter than vee-strom). Also have made 550 skydives without so much as a twisted ankle.
Next time just let go of the bike when it starts to fall.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Ya, i got into the habit of starting a bike, then putting on all my gear, including helmet then gloves before throwing a leg over it. Of course i started that with old air cooled bikes that needed a moment to heat up, but i can't imagine that it does any damage to the vstrom either! I started it because i kept hitting the road only to find 3 or 4 miles down the road i'd forgotten something, like glasses, gloves, boots, etc!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Glad it wasn't worse Wayne. Suspect most of us have had "those moments". Every day is a brand new day. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Be happy no one saw ya!

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Thanks Wayne I enjoyed your story, hope it doesn't hurt for long. It is a good reminder that moving a 500 lb motorcycle can turn ugly fast.

·
Registered
293 Posts
The only fall Ive had on my Wee was in a parking lot going about five miles an hour. So, don't feel bad, mine was really embarrassing because my riding buddy got some of it on film.

I saw a pine cone that I thought was a big rock, swerved too much and BAM. Crash.

Stuff happens. don't worry about it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
There is more damage done to bikes that are being pushed than those that are being ridden!

The last drop on the road (riding) I've had, was 1982, and every 3 or 4 years since pushing the sodding things or putting them on centre stands!!!! arrrrrgggghhh

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Be happy no one saw ya!
Sadly my wife was there about 10 seconds afterwards and the sight of blood on my face and me lying prone curtailed bike riding plans for the day.

Did manage a 2 hour ride today :)

And yes, next time I'll try and remember to let go.....

Kia kaha (be strong)

Wayne

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
Your bike has a black belt in Jujitsu? :confused:
:green_lol::green_lol::green_lol:

After a couple of minor injuries years ago trying to save my falling bike I learned to let it go. :oops:

Be happy in the knowledge you are not the first rider to have done it. :fineprint:

Glad the wounds are minor. :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
How does a motorcycle boot you off the bike when your rolling it backwards on flag ground? Did you have the bike running and you popped the clutch or something? Or did it just tip over and you went over with it?

Lucky you didn't get more hurt doing that with no helmet on. Maybe the soft parts of your face saved you. ;)

Glad it worked out ok.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Being somewhat vertically challenged and scrawny, I've learned that foot placement can make a big difference when pushing the bike.
When going backwards, I face the bike with a hand on the left grip and the other on the left passenger grab handle and keep one foot forward and the other well back of the body center line. This helps control the bikes sudden urges to succumb to the forces of gravity.
Going forward, I keep both hands on the grips and lean the bike into my hip so I'm controlling lean with the larger muscles, such as they are...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Glad you're okay and the damage (to both you and the bike) is minimal. My first drop of the wee-strom was on a dirt road. It was a beautiful night and I decided to ride out away from the city lights so that I could enjoy the stars. I parked the bike on an old dirt road next to a cornfield and decided to lay back on the bike. Feet up near the handlebars, head at the back of the seat. I'm there for a few minutes, no problems, then swat at a mosquito. That's all the movement that was needed for the bike to start going over to the right hand side (apparently the tires were in a rut and the kickstand was higher than normal, having the bike nearly straight up). In no time at all, I was laying on the ground. I didn't get hurt, but cracked the right turn signal. I just sat there and laughed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How does a motorcycle boot you off the bike when your rolling it backwards on flag ground? Did you have the bike running and you popped the clutch or something? Or did it just tip over and you went over with it?

Lucky you didn't get more hurt doing that with no helmet on. Maybe the soft parts of your face saved you. ;)

Glad it worked out ok.
OK, confession time. I was wheeling the bike backwards out of the garage. When I do this, I don't have the motor running and I'm standing on one side of the bike, not astride it.

I was turning the bike around me (imagine I was at the center of the circle) and on the gear lever side. I had one hand on the handle bar closest to me and the other on the back of the bike. The bike picked up speed and I got wrong footed while trying to work out how to stop it, this caused the steering to go to the opposite lock, the CoG of the bike to swap from my side to the away side and as I tried to stop it falling (i.e. hung on), it threw me over the top of the bike onto the ground.

If I had both hands on the handle bars, use of the front brake would have prevented this mishap. ;-)

cheers

Wayne.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I've done it in the garage when I got on without my helmet and hit my head on the overhead door.

Aside from that, you're lucky it's not a Ninja.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
...and as I tried to stop it falling (i.e. hung on), it threw me over the top of the bike onto the ground.
As spiritual gurus everywhere advise their acolytes: "You must learn to let go, grasshopper."

·
Registered
2 Posts
glad to hear that your alright, had trouble putting mine away one time--pushing it into the garage and the kickstand hit my foot without knowing it (thought it was all the way down) and went to lean the bike onto the stand when I realized that the full weight of the bike was pushing me into the tool box; came out of it with no damage to bike and couple of bruises on the legs:yikes:

·
Boy talks too much....
588 Posts
I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time but thanks for sharing. I had a bicycle do that to me a few years back. It's odd how your brain goes into hyperspeed when these things happen but can't actually do anything about it.
I remember thinking as I flew over the bars...
"WTF??? How did this happen...Wait... more important news! This is gonna hurt! Am I wearing a helmet today?? Gloves?? Oh this is gonna hurt... impact.... ok.. that wasn't so bad... wait stupid, you cant feel anything yet... ok everyone check in.... legs? ok... hands?? right ones ok.. left?? Oh crap.. broken bone left hand.... anyone else?? chin..."we're cut!!"
"Anyone else?? Ok lets all pitch in and try and walk back to the garage with some dignity.. Left hand shutup.. we'll go to urgent care in a minute....Everyone be cool.. people are staring...Can we please look like we meant to do that???" :headbang::headbang:

·
Registered
313 Posts
So far I have had 2 zero mph tip-overs.The first time I went to put my right foot down on a sloped parking lot and by the time it hit the ground the Wee had picked up momentum and down we went. I hit the ground hard and wrenched my back trying to hold it from going over.
The second time was on grass and my right foot slipped and over she went again.This time I just let her go and suffered no injuries.
Just last week I returned home from a ride where it ended up raining. When I went to put it up on the centre stand in my garage my wet boot slipped off the wet centre stand and she just about fell into my mint 79 Triumph Spitfire. Somehow I managed to keep it from going over. Good thing as I would have "killed two birds with one stone". I have some of that peel and stick stair-tread non skid on the centre stand now and keep the bike away from the car now.
The V-Strom is a tall top heavy bike and I fully expect it to happen again.....I'm just glad I installed the crash guards early on.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I too have dropped my wee twice during low speed maneuvers. Leaned over doing a slow 180 turn around in a narrow area and stalling the motor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts